Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 5 of 21
Cireon wrote:
What about using sets of 2 characters instead of 1 character? The first character could refer to the region and the second character to the territory within it. There are 16 regions, and the largest region has 6 territories. That means we need 22 characters at a minimum. That sounds very doable. We could probably add a bit more for variation. It may not be as nice as a single symbol solution, but I think I like the thematic fittingness :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Definitely something to consider.
Alternatively, we could just go with the numbers 1 to 60.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I guess that works, feels just slightly less awesome ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
I have freed up some time in my days now and will be continuing with this map this week, but more so next week.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Yay! I was quite busy last few months, but I have some more time as well now.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I played with the Double Symbol idea for hours and hit barrier after barrier, with fonts in Photoshop that would allow the ascii characters being limited to only basic cross-platform fonts, sizing of each character was different & very few were narrow enough to fit in 2 symbols while still being definable.
While I was flogging the dead horse, I had an idea of using 2 initials of each territory name (font to be refined). Let me know what you guys think of that idea?

I have started colouring a couple of Regions and adding some of the overlays... e.g. Some forests in the forest region, Lightening (sparkling) Rocks.
This should give you an idea of how the map will progress.
Demo 4 (click to show)
100% view
Cireon wrote:
I think initials will work and make them easier to identify than numbers. I like the forests, though the one in particular looks like it may be blocking passibilities.
Matty wrote:
Hmm, my dropbox links have stopped working. I don't know right now which super regions stood for which, but I'd really like to give regions in the same super region some sort of equal colours.

As for the city names: initials might be even better then symbols, as they can easily be typed in the chat, are easier top recognize and have more meaning for the people that play the map. Good call.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I think I have the images still, but I'll have to dig around a bit ;)
aeronautic wrote:
I might have copies of them as well, I'll check.
Matty wrote:
Oh I have the images, it's the links that aren't working anymore ;)
aeronautic wrote:
Matty
Hmm, my dropbox links have stopped working. I don't know right now which super regions stood for which, but I'd really like to give regions in the same super region some sort of equal colours.

I don't have a copy of the Super Regions, I am awaiting this image to colour the Regions, do you have it mate?
Matty wrote:
Ok, I moved around some things from dropbox to sync, but they don't allow to preview images.

These are my relevant images:
aeronautic wrote:
I have put the relevant images in spoilers and alternative external links because it is difficult to compare images on external sites.
Matty's Region Suggestion & Super Regions (click to show)
Region Bonuses 100% view
Region Suggestion 100% view
Super Regions 100% view