Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 6 of 21
Cireon wrote:
Region merge: would make the super region just one region big and 4 is already pretty powerful for that region. If you merge it, I would probably make the bonus 3.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
6 territories, 3 borders, just a +3? That sounds a bit over-nerfed.

And although it is a sort of super region in it's own, it also does happen to merge very well with the super region to the right of it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Hmmm, we could keep it two regions, but give the top one a +1 bonus.

But I think one region +4 is a good solution. That way it's a good region, but you can't get it in the first turn.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
You're more the gameplay expert than me, so I'll take your word for it ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
I changed the Global Light on the map due to a few pitfalls with the previous light angle, but this meant changing everything around and repositioning (spell checker doesn't like the word "repositioning"... weird????). I still have the central temple to rotate to the right light angle.
I also altered and enhanced the Gateways and Map Lines.
I wasn't happy with the early trees & forests I made, so I have made more realistic & naturally random forests, which show up the man-made areas.
I have made the Regions in one Super Region of similar colours to see how they look and whether or not they are too confusing?

I also made various other enhancements and changes, all to get a feel for how the map should progress, before bounding on in any wrong directions.
Please bear in mind that there will be a great deal of 3D graphics in all relevant areas related to their territory names... such as the forests.
Demo 4 (click to show)
100% view
Demo 5 (click to show)
100% view
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Oh wow, that looks amazing o_O

And not just because of the looks (they are awesome!), but also because the forest road really is a forest road, and the glade of pan has a glade and all. Really awesome! (see territory names).

Some remarks:
- I'm not sure if the territory covered by trees will work well with a number inside it.
- There are normal forests everywhere, and a single different (pine) forest right in the middle, which is weird. It would be much more logical for Junipers tree and Pine forest to swap, so that the pines are nearer to the mountains.
- The two parallel roads through the forest look a bit weird. It seems quite unnecessary to have two parallel roads, as they have the same origin and destination.
aeronautic wrote:
Great feedback Matty, it really helps to know what others see, as the graphics guy is always wrapped up in what they see and perceive.

Matty
- I'm not sure if the territory covered by trees will work well with a number inside it.
The circles are on a lower layer at the moment, they are purely for reference to possible positions and some have been accounted for but not placed yet. I will be placing them soon and will delete any overlay graphics that obscure the circle (and Caps circle) anywhere.
Matty
- There are normal forests everywhere, and a single different (pine) forest right in the middle, which is weird. It would be much more logical for Junipers tree and Pine forest to swap, so that the pines are nearer to the mountains.
I always stick to the territory names suggested and try to make the graphics work with the names. I thought the widening river gave the effect that it was coming from high ground, ie closer to the viewer, which means that the pines are on higher ground.
It appears not, so I will move them to Junipers territory and swap the territory names.
Matty
- The two parallel roads through the forest look a bit weird. It seems quite unnecessary to have two parallel roads, as they have the same origin and destination.
I originally only had the road from the Crossroad, but then realised that the territory to the right of it was called Forest Road, so had to make another road. I agree it looks weird so, I will keep the Forest Road and make it become the Crossroad and I can already see a route through the terrain texture for it to continue on to the bridge.

Any points to note about the Region Colours (bottom left Super Region)?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
Regarding region colours: I think we'll have to look at the colour blind options to see if they are distinguishable enough. If not we may have to make the region borders clearer, because I think the colours work. But I will also have to see how it works if the entire map is done in those colours. (I really liked the green you had previously though. Hopefully you'll reuse it somewhere else.)

I really like the graphics otherwise, and I agree with Matty's comments. I love how you're giving the territories distinguishable features based on their names. You're really doing a great job bringing the map alive!
Matty wrote:
aeronautic
Any points to note about the Region Colours (bottom left Super Region)?
I think the region colors look very nice. They feel like sunset.

There is little difference between the two orange regions. I think it's just enough (especially with the river), but it could be clearer if you swap the red with the closest orange region.
Cireon wrote:
I use a blue-light filter on my laptop for the evenings (f.lux), that makes the screen go orange/red, and it makes the two bottom regions hard to distinguish.
aeronautic wrote:
Good stuff to note guys.

I will play around with the order as suggested and see if it's more distinguishable.

@Cireon, yes I plan on making the big super region in the north a mixture of Aquamarines & Greens, so I will make more like that green one.
Cireon wrote:
Awesome! Thanks aero. Great stuff
aeronautic wrote:
Moved all the trees around, just have to recolour the regions and make a new road now. I will upload the changes tonight.
aeronautic wrote:
Done the changes requested.
I also added a few labels to try some out for suitability, let me know what you think of them?

If all is okay with the graphics and colours in the bottom left quarter of the map, I have a direction to build on and continue?
Demo 5 (click to show)
100% view
Demo 6 (click to show)
100% view