Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 12 of 21
Matty wrote:
Demo17 for reference (click to show)
100% view
The two outside regions of the outer south-west semi-circle (red to the sourth-east and purple to the west of the city) are really easy to defend and hard to reach yes. That's on purpose though.

The consequence of that is that it's really hard to go from the red region to the other purple to the right of it, true (I think 9 steps is the shortest). Is that a problem though?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
Are all the names set for the map? When inputting it as a test map, using labels from previous post, there are two ST's and two BG's.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
The names are here: https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/Atlantis-Labels.jpg

I also have them typed out somewhere if you need them, but that requires a bit more searching.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I have switched on the circles and Labels for quick reference (they are in one group), but the are not positioned, so please do not comment on their positions.
Game Labels (click to show)
100% view
Label Full Names (click to show)
100% view
Well spotted Hood, there are 2 X ST & BG, I will amend.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
ah cool. no need to search for them. i just put in the abbreviations for now.
i think it's all set in properly (playable) so if you wanna get a better idea for capitals selection, as aero works on the graphics
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
Set in your testing program?

BTW, I feel that the dark shadow of each territory makes the map look weird and has a pillow effect. I will try just plain colour and let the texture come through more.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
You can see from the old minimap in Demo 18, the pillow effect... too cartoon as the map gains more realism.
Gone back to one colour per Region.
Demo17 for reference (click to show)
100% view
Demo18 for reference (click to show)
100% view

@Matty & Cireon have a think about the implications/enhancements to gameplay for the 2 X NW Regions becoming 1 Region and let me know before the Territory dividers and Region borders get refined.
@Thorpe, please remind me to erase lines that cross roads if I forget before completion.
@Hoodlum, please remind me about the duplicate Label names if I forget before completion.
Matty wrote:
I'd like the red and purple NW mountain regions to become one.

I kinda miss the pillow effect, but yeah, this is way better.
The lightning rocks are way too visible now though. A bit over the top.
Cireon wrote:
Agreed. These colours are much clearer. Not sure how I feel about combining the regions though, given that it would be the by far largest region on the map. Most regions are 3 or 4 territories. Having one with six is a bit weird to me.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I can tone down the "lightning rocks", bear in mind that I tested them with the Label & Circle and they are very much background then, I'll drop the opacity anyway and see if they disappear when the Label is turned on.
Have a chat about that NW Region and let me know Y/N.
Matty wrote:
Cireon
Not sure how I feel about combining the regions though, given that it would be the by far largest region on the map. Most regions are 3 or 4 territories. Having one with six is a bit weird to me.
This is one of the reasons why I want it. It's good for a map to have some harder regions (we have two more 6-regions in the city I think).
(Actually I wouldn't mind one with 7 territories, but can't find a good spot for one, unless you really break things)

The other reason is that how it currenlty is both are a bit overpoweredly good regions.
Cireon wrote:
There is already a region of 6 I missed last time, and two regions with 5. I outlined them below, together with two suggestions for 7 territory regions:

(click to show)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Oh that yellow is 5. I can't count.

The problem I have with the northern 7-proposal is that it'll make the northern super region hard to get. One'd like to start with a small one and then go on to get others. But this way you don't have a good starting point. Also, the two smaller regions together are not overpoweredly easy to defend like the two in the north-west. I'm willing to try this one but I'd rather have the one in the city.

The problem I have with the southern 7-proposal is that it makes the southern super region be only 2 regions. Also, it eradicates the only 2-territory region outside the city. I'd rather not do this one unless actual in-game-testing to see how the regions work out shows it's overpowered. The 5 there is enough buffer to that super region being too easy I think.

After a bit more looking. I think the best choice for a 7-region is to merge the yellow and green inside the city, next to the purple existing 6 region.
The reasons are mainly that this way you don't break too much, but more importantly, it stops the two main entrance points into the city, the central part of the map from being taken and blocked easily. This way, that's the perfect spot to walk around in if you're almost dead. Or to pass through if you want a kill move between outside and inside the city.
Thorpe wrote:
Matty your idea for the 7 is like the one in the world map 7 region in the world map? Works the best I think... nice idea. Always hard to keep but good to get risk cards.
The south one only has 5 spots to hold for that region...not so hard to keep.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next