Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 18 of 21
Hoodlum wrote:
might be easier to make a new test map. and rename the current one :)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
Atlantis is now in Beta.

Please be sure to thank Cireon & Matty for all their exhaustive research & input, patience, guidance & expert eye for graphics. Nice one guys!
This is your map, anything you want to alter / change, let me know?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I have no idea why this HUGE map is coming up as a Small map with 0 Territories & 0 Regions in the Create Game page.

[image]

Aaaaah! A button I missed "Recalculate"... sorted! :blush:
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
City region names:
- NE, SE, SW, NW temples: perfect
- Orichalcum Temple: bit weird, why not just repeat the territory name?

- Respite: It seems this region is about (respite and) recreation (Dionysus Theatre (DT), Hippodrome (HD), Water Gardens (WG))
- Recreation: it seems this region is about gatherings and recreation. Not perfect names these two. (Agora (AG), Amphitheatre (AM), Bouleuterion (BN))
I don't have a better idea however, @Cireon, do you maybe have an idea for these? Back in the days we called them 'gardens' and 'government district'. They aren't so bad, but not perfect either.
- Maritime plaza: this could also be called recreation :S I don't know a better name again.
- Academic quarter: Good. Maybe Academic campus?

- Market town: I like it
- South Gate Affluence: I don't get the 'affluence' part. If we ditch the maritime plaza, maybe use the 'plaza' word here. If not, not sure what to do here.
- Training Grounds: We used to call them barracks, but training grounds works better I think.
- Navel base: good. Not sure about the 'base' part. Maybe Navel quarters. But I think you actually know this better then me ;) I'll let you choose.

- N promenade: Ok
- N gate traders: not bad, but I think North gate artisans fits better.
- The two ports: South port and North port feels better. I mean, the whole port area is in the east, and although the northern is probably doing most of the shipping, I defenitely think there's shipping in a traders port.

Outer region names:
- Fishing grounds: perfect.
- Farmland: perfect
- Southern Trade Routes: ok I guess.

- Forests: perfect
- Western trade routes: ok I guess
- Western lake: Maybe south-western lake?
- Sacred ground: :( Not sure what's better though. The problem is not that this name doesn't fit this region - it does so wonderfully. The problem is that there's so many sacred grounds on this map...
Maybe sacred valley?

- Mountain plateau: perfect

- Mountain river path: good. Maybe rocky river path is better?
- Northern grasslands: in it self a good name, but given the symmetry of the others, maybe northern trading routes?
- Highlands: perfect
- North shores: perfect
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
This needs Cireon's response.
Cireon wrote:
I'll try and review these tonight!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Cireon wrote:
Matty
City region names:
- NE, SE, SW, NW temples: perfect
- Orichalcum Temple: bit weird, why not just repeat the territory name?
Agreed

Matty
- Respite: It seems this region is about (respite and) recreation (Dionysus Theatre (DT), Hippodrome (HD), Water Gardens (WG))
- Recreation: it seems this region is about gatherings and recreation. Not perfect names these two. (Agora (AG), Amphitheatre (AM), Bouleuterion (BN))
I don't have a better idea however, @Cireon, do you maybe have an idea for these? Back in the days we called them 'gardens' and 'government district'. They aren't so bad, but not perfect either.
- Maritime plaza: this could also be called recreation :S I don't know a better name again.
- Academic quarter: Good. Maybe Academic campus?
For the last one, maybe just "campus" to keep it short. Definitely like the word "campus" in there though.
In either way, I like to point out that all of these take up a quarter of the circle, so maybe we can use the word "quarter" to come up with some better names.
Respite -> Pegasos Quarter (after the hippodrome, which is the main feature, so named after the legendary horse)
Recreation -> Metis Quarter (based on the Agora, the political center of the city, so named a titaness of wisdom and cunning)
Maritime -> Gareme Quarter (based on the marine, so named after the sea nymph of calm seas)
Academic -> Polymatheia Quarter (based on the university, named after the muse of knowledge)
We can also take the quarter names less themed, and take the 4 gods of wind directions:
Caicias -> Northeast
Euronotus -> Southeast
Lips -> Southwest
Skeiron -> North west

Matty
- Market town: I like it
- South Gate Affluence: I don't get the 'affluence' part. If we ditch the maritime plaza, maybe use the 'plaza' word here. If not, not sure what to do here.
- Training Grounds: We used to call them barracks, but training grounds works better I think.
- Navel base: good. Not sure about the 'base' part. Maybe Navel quarters. But I think you actually know this better then me ;) I'll let you choose.
Let's go with "South Gate Plaza", I like that name. I am good with the other ones, since I think we should reserve the quarters for the other circle.

Matty
- N promenade: Ok
- N gate traders: not bad, but I think North gate artisans fits better.
- The two ports: South port and North port feels better. I mean, the whole port area is in the east, and although the northern is probably doing most of the shipping, I defenitely think there's shipping in a traders port.
North Gate Traders: agree with Matty's comment, though I think we should go for symmetry and call it the North Gate Plaza. Alternatively, we could give the gates more interesting names. What about the Artisan's Gate Plaza?
Ports: I think we should go with "Harbour" instead.

We are still missing a bunch of inner city regions, right? Happy to comment on those as well, but it's getting a bit late and it's really hard to link the region names to the actual bits on the map :P

Matty
Outer region names:
- Fishing grounds: perfect.
- Farmland: perfect
- Southern Trade Routes: ok I guess.
Let's do "Southern Plains" instead of "Southern Trade Routes"

Matty
- Forests: perfect
- Western trade routes: ok I guess
- Western lake: Maybe south-western lake?
- Sacred ground: :( Not sure what's better though. The problem is not that this name doesn't fit this region - it does so wonderfully. The problem is that there's so many sacred grounds on this map...
Maybe sacred valley?
Again, Western Plains?
Can we do something interesting with the lake? Maybe name it after a lake nymph? Limnades is the nymph of lakes. Naiads is the group of all fresh water nymphs.
Agree on Sacred Valley.

Matty
- Mountain plateau: perfect

- Mountain river path: good. Maybe rocky river path is better?
- Northern grasslands: in it self a good name, but given the symmetry of the others, maybe northern trading routes?
- Highlands: perfect
- North shores: perfect
Northern grasslands -> Northern Plains
I like Rocky River Path.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
SethHrab wrote:
I'm not sure my input is desired - but the last one, rather than "Rocky River Path" I thought River Stone Path might be a decent suggestion.
Matty wrote:
Cireon
We are still missing a bunch of inner city regions, right? Happy to comment on those as well, but it's getting a bit late and it's really hard to link the region names to the actual bits on the map :P
Did I miss some?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Agreed with SethHrab, River stone path may be a bit less cheesy then rocky river path. Though maybe pluralize it? River stones path?

Hmmm, not sure.
Cireon wrote:
Matty
Cireon
Did I miss some?
Yeah I am pretty sure you did

East Port
West Main Gate

I think. It feels like there's more missing, but those were the two I could find.
Matty wrote:
I took both ports at once, so I didn't forget 'East port'. I totally forgot west main gate, you're right at that.
The name is ok though.

Note: I seperated the regions logically with enters, so it should be relatively easy to find the regions if you look at it the way I listed them.

I agree with everything Cireon said above, except for:
Respite -> Pegasos Quarter (after the hippodrome, which is the main feature, so named after the legendary horse)
Recreation -> Metis Quarter (based on the Agora, the political center of the city, so named a titaness of wisdom and cunning)
Maritime -> Gareme Quarter (based on the marine, so named after the sea nymph of calm seas)
Academic -> Polymatheia Quarter (based on the university, named after the muse of knowledge)
We can also take the quarter names less themed, and take the 4 gods of wind directions:
Caicias -> Northeast
Euronotus -> Southeast
Lips -> Southwest
Skeiron -> North west
For these I don't really disagree, I'm just not sure about them.
SethHrab wrote:
Could do any of the following:

Path of the River Stones
River Stone(s) Pass(age)
River Stone(s) Run

instead of river could use creek or stream.
Hoodlum wrote:
9P Caps gameplay issue.

I've currently got CA in a 9 player game. If I take that region it belongs to, I am landlocked from any attacking path to another capital. all other capitals don't have this problem. they can take their region with an attacking path available. I haven't had a look at an alternative suggestion for 9 player caps yet. i'll take a look later.

Spoiler (click to show)

*edit.. a suggestion is to change CA to GM. but then it becomes a favourable capital to have. I suppose it's fine where it is, and the strategy of taking a region will be to take that north region instead, nvm. I think it's fine :) , I made a mistake in my game
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
So could you Matty / Cireon make a concise list of Region names that you both agree on and I'll change them to what you decide?