Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 3 of 21
PsymonStark wrote:
aeronautic
@Psymon, I don't see how it will be a huge mess in the log. The Log and the Cards will look like this: ϡ Poseidon Dock (Symbol and Name) and to find the territory, which we all have to do even on conventional maps, we now have the Log & Cards linked to the circles, so we click them to find out where they are.

It's more a "where on earth is this ϡ thing on the map" than anything else. Luckily we have the click feature to quickly find territories.

Well, I edited aero's post instead of quoting :$ Hope everything's in its place
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Ignore this post, it is an ascii test post for Decimal and Hexadecimal codes that will definitely work on this Unicode to get 60 usable symbols. It is being constantly edited to find usable and suitable symbols. It will eventually be where I can either paste the symbols into text layers on the map or make an image file if not compatible to the Photoshop Unicode.
The important thing is that the symbols I make here work with the D12 Unicode.
Another reason for this test requirement, is that there will also be discrepancies with the base font used on the map and on D12, where the symbols appear slightly different and in some cases, quite different, which could be confusing on the cards and in the log.
§ ¶ ß Ħ Ŧ ƕ Ƣ Ƹ ǁ ǂ ȡ ȹ ΐ Γ Δ ϱ Λ Ξ Π Σ Φ Ψ Ω ΰ β δ ε ζ η θ λ μ ξ π ς σ φ ϐ ϑ ϔ ϖ ϗ Ϙ Ϛ ϟ ϡ ϣ Ϥ Ϧ ϧ ϩ Ϫ Ϭ Ϯ ϱ ϶ Ϸ ϼ Ͻ Ͼ ⚓ ☙ ☖ ☩ ☸

Spoiler (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Some of them are very similar, see Θ and θ ... also I don't think we should use § or ¶ or ß, having other alternatives. They don't feel similar, and are more widely seen.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Cireon wrote:
This is how the images looks for me (Chrome, OSX) now. The last few don't really look like text icons.

[image]
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I'm glad you showed that some look different on various computers and browsers. I will stick to the cross platform ascii characters.

Cireon & Matty have researched some appropriate names for the territories in the fabled city.
Please give only constructive feedback, so that I may start making some graphics for the appropriate territories.

Please ignore the fitting and font of the labels, all the city ones will be replaced with symbols and all the others will be resized and a suitable font chosen.
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/Atlantis-Labels.jpg
Demo 4 Labels (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
elysium5 wrote:
Is the Grove of Poseidon a Region as well as being a Single Territory? If it is, I like it in that is is the only Single Territory/Region on any of the D12 maps. Very unique.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
Not sure if we will give a bonus for it to be honest, but it'll definitely not be in another region :)

Would be nice if we can get any other gameplay concerns out of the way. Region bonuses are still missing as well.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Matty wrote:
I added region bonusses:
https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/atlantis3-region-bonusses.jpg

I also have a suggestion to merge two small regions into one bigger.
https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/atlantis3-region-bonusses-merged-region.jpg

Demo 3 with region bonusses and one region less (click to show)

(I worked off Demo 3 - that's the latest right?)

formula used (click to show)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
naathim wrote:
The super regions are well balanced. Although, with the city center it's so hard to tell how gameplay is going to...play lol. But that should make it fun anyhow! Plenty of regional variation, borders/bonuses look good. The red mountain region Matty edited seems to be the odd one out. It'll be fought over a lot.

I think this gets a pass from me on gameplay. A+. Now make it pretty! Lol
Matty wrote:
My main problem with the gameplay is that it doesn't have a single region with more than 6 territories, but then since the city center is so messy, that's probably the place for loners to survive.

Yeah, those two regions with both +2 were OP, so now at least you can't get them 1 by 1 anymore. Didn't want to make it a +3 for them both, felt that that was a bit too much of a nerf.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Before I can proceed, I need more symbols that will be cross-platform, please let me know what these look like on other computers and browsers?

ascii Hex    Description
---------------------------------------
♈ ♈ ARIES
♉ ♉ TAURUS
♊ ♊ GEMINI
♋ ♋ CANCER
♌ ♌ LEO
♍ ♍ VIRGO
♎ ♎ LIBRA
♏ ♏ SCORPIO
♐ ♐ SAGITTARIUS
♑ ♑ CAPRICORN
♒ ♒ AQUARIUS
♓ ♓ PISCES
Matty wrote:
This is a printscreen from windows 10, firefox: https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/printscreen-ascii.png

P.S. If you want me to make a suggestion for the colours, I'll make it :)
But something so that I can easily select all the background of 1 territory or region would come in handy. I have paint.net, so can't use photoshop layers directly,
Cireon wrote:
I am afraid this is how they look on macOS (Chrome):

[image]
aeronautic wrote:
Which colours Matty?

Territories, Labels??

If it's the territories and regions, wait until I have some graphic overlays on them and then we can refine the colours and colour tones.

They are on all separate layers and set to Locked Transparency so it will be really easy to change colours and tones, if you have suggestions of colours, it will be quicker for me to implement them, all I would need is a base colour suggestion and I can put it on and you can adjust it from the results.
aeronautic wrote:
@Matty & Cireon, do you have any suggestions of Symbols that we can use?
Also, the symbols will only be seen in ascii or Hex format in the Cards displayed and in the Log, would it be bad if they appeared like Cireon's display above??