• 203 posts
  • Page 8 of 14
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes, I used names in Spanish and Portuguese. Some English names are different.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
PsymonStark wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)
New version, didn't change mountains, cleaned them up, and tried to make them more evident, while making more obvious the Burgos-Euskadi border. Added decorations to the frame.

Edit: Suggested caps:
Spoiler (click to show)
Spoiler (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
pretty map.
after seeing cool mountains already from aero on other maps, it's weird not seeing the same style in newer maps. so i think when you re-started this project, although i liked the look of the map, all i was noticing was the mountains looked temporary, and you mention this too. but the more i kept looking at it, the more i liked it because that's the style of the map, you mention this also. 

i'm not a fan of the change you made in this one..too bold, smudgy or something., I prefer the original look

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
I think mountains looked better before, less black and without halo, but for the game they are more intuitive now. The problem is also that this map has a lot of mountains, then I don't know exactly what to suggest.

The frame looks better now, it seems more like the edges of a paper map and less like a solid frame. Probably it would be even more clear if the ocean background would have the same colour of the frame, like non coloured paper. Yes, I believe the ocean is the weak point.

Looking at the details. The principality of Andorra, being part of the non playing area, I think it should have a more neutral colour. And the tilde of 'A Coruna' seems a bit misplaced, not centered on the 'n' and a bit too high.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
Edit Cap's

I looked mostly the second picture. Ourense is in a strong position for bonuses compared to the others, and Tarragona too, but it may work like a compensation for being a bit a part though (?). Almeria is weak, 2 ways out only and, well, "2.5" Teruel. For 4 and 5p, I don't know, perhaps there are other possibilities.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
I think this map is pretty much almost finished, it looks really good and has a nice style of it's own.

There is a lake between france and spain (just above the light blue region) which looks a bit weird to me. Maybe give it the same colour as the ocean.

I like the style of your mountains, but the dark shadow over them looks a bit off. Maybe make the colour inside a mountain darker as it reaches the top of it or something. So that you change the colour inside a mountain, not around it.
Not sure if that'll be better though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
naathim wrote:
Love love love the border and the background. The mountains do look a little smudgy or too bold as previously stated.

Mountains are just ebil :/
emjaydee wrote:
Your's and naathims names in the bottom corner don't stand out enough.

Take your credit man! ;)
Cireon wrote:
The mountains really attract a lot of attention, but if you'd replace them with aero's suggestion, I think it would be worse. Maybe you could make the mountains less black or less bold to make them pop out less.

Love the rest of the map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PsymonStark wrote:
Ok, answering everyone...

@Everyone, will try to find a middle point for the mountains. Will try what Matty suggests.

@Bishop, the font hasn't been modified, and it's a reconstruction of the font used for a book published on 1772 (Check here if you speak Spanish). I actually would respect it.

Well the caps... they were tough, and I'm really unsure that they're good either.

@Matty, I really chuckled at your comment on the lake... that's Andorra, a whole country! :D Will give it a similar colour to France then.

@MJ, Fine, I'll make it stand out more :)
Matty wrote:
xD

Did I ever mention that I'm really good at geographical names?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Better?
Matty wrote:
Yup a lot better. Is it possible to make that single green mountain in Navarra red, so that it belongs to Saragoza? Or otherwise make that single red mountain green?
cbt711 wrote:
Psymon, I don't want to harp on your mountains. I love the idea, I love the style, and I love each step you took to make them more contrasting and obvious for gameplay.

The darker shading around them was a good idea, and then you lightened it up for Matty for a small improvement.

But what if you just did the shading on the mountain and below. So don't shade anything above any mountain graphic's top edge. Then you could get away with the darker shading, keep the intuitive impassible game play alive, and actually have more contrast on either side of the range, one being shaded, the other being the bright territory colors.

And just before Aero gets here, I would bet he would suggest you shade the right half of the mountain more than the left half for a very feint 3D look... but since I said it, you can totally ignore it now!

What a great job you have done!