• 203 posts
  • Page 6 of 14
naathim wrote:
Well, while we wait for someone to volunteer for the mountains... :P

What about the colors? I personally like most of the colors on there. But I'm sure some of them might be too bright or could be improved somehow. Anybody have any specific suggestions/problems with the colors?

Two pinks and two purples... And the refried beans brown of Catalonia :D

And extremadura's blue is still too bright I think.

The background I think needs changing also.
aeronautic wrote:
I have had no involvement in this map and only gave slight suggestions. This is a map -NoXoN- has shown interest in and he should finish it.
I am too heavily involved in other maps and map control.

If he doesn't return or progress with this, only when I can free up some map time will I be able to assist graphically.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Probably colours can be adjusted a bit. And the background doesn't look very good for my eye, it's too yellow! But I don't know exactly how to adjust it, maybe it only need to be reduced in saturation.

Noxon's version isn't bad but it's a different style: more modern, yours looks more ancient, since I don't know we should decide. I like the blue ocean and the sea outlines in Noxon's version. But I prefer to keep the land more colorful rather than all orange.

Maybe I can try to do mountains because I really want this map to be finished, although I cannot grantee a perfect result.
@Naathim - The image you posted is the real size of the image?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
I was thinking something like this:
Iberia_mountains_00 (click to show)

But probably those mountains are too large in size.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
naathim wrote:
LOL just a little too big :P

I'll get some graphics stuff done tonight, a few color changes, play around with some different backgrounds.

But I do like those mountains, I think they kind of fit.

I was going to open up the border between Segovia and Guadalajara. Yes or No? I think it makes gameplay a little better. That way you don't have just 2 territory blocking off a whole portion with only one border between. And I think CyL would be alright with 6 borders.
naathim wrote:
Here's some changed up backgrounds, blue's first:

Spoiler (click to show)

Spoiler (click to show)

Spoiler (click to show)

I like #2 particularly.

Map/paper background:

Spoiler (click to show)

Spoiler (click to show)

Like the 2nd one here.

Now depending on what kind of backgrounds people like, I'll try and recolor the regions accordingly. I'd like to try and get one of those real world geographical textures for the land. I think that would look pretty good here.
aeronautic wrote:
I'm sorry naathim, but none of these backgrounds work and the whole map needs major graphic work.
If -NoXoN- has lost interest in pursuing this map, I would ask Psymon to take it on, because it is his homeland and it really needs a graphic artist on it!

Please remember the new standards in the Guide, it must be something we can imagine planning a battle with. Iberia has a history of conflict equal to the UK up until the 19th century, utilise this as much as you can. I know you are aware that it will also need to meet the new higher standards.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
-NoXoN- wrote:
The_Bishop - Apr 12, 01:50 AM
But Noxon really changed many things without giving a real explanation, (including the map title and map size). Not that is right or wrong but they should be discussed.

Yes i did cause psymon and naathim use paint.net and i dont. I used terrain map to get better look on land and i got outline from that texture cause it fits better with my map. I used spainsh style font for title and it looks good.

It was nice to see these mountains and backgrounds.
aeronautic wrote:
That is a matter of personal opinion!

The main author (the guy that suggested and created the map) has to be consulted about changes to the original creation.

Also, with our new policies, the map community get a say in the development of every new-build map.
Also, there is new criteria in the DXII Guide to Map Making, which every map maker is bound to having agreed to read before making a map, with no exceptions.
This criteria stipulates:
DXII Guide to Map Making (Expectations)
We do not accept maps that are only made to satisfy the mapmaker.
(Edit) Psymon uses Photoshop as well.
-NoXoN- wrote:
aeronautic - Apr 14, 01:11 PM
That is a matter of personal opinion!

The main author (the guy that suggested and created the map) has to be consulted about changes to the original creation.

HAH i started my first post in this topic with these words: I discussed with naathim. And yes me and naathim shared many messages before i posted my first image about this map. This is what Naathim said to me in message:

naathim said:
05:08 PM, 04 April 2015
Oh wow!! Very pretty!

I love the background and the title and the region borders! And the little almost wave/tidal lines around the outline!

Also Psymon liked what i did.
PsymonStark said:
08:13 AM, 10 April 2015
I for one much prefer your graphic version over mine (especially because yours look very good, original and the hot tones seem to fit a lot with the map). The other version is just a draft and I'm a bit tired of those maps full of colours.

Glad to hear that Psymon use Photoshop, i expect some nice maps from him now cause he have experience with gaming maps. I got pdn file for Iberian map which is made in Paint.net
aeronautic wrote:
"HAH" ?

The_Bishop - Apr 12, 01:50 AM
But Noxon really changed many things without giving a real explanation, (including the map title and map size). Not that is right or wrong but they should be discussed.
-NoXoN-  Today, 12:17 PM
Yes i did cause psymon and naathim use paint.net and i dont. I used terrain map to get better look on land and i got outline from that texture cause it fits better with my map. I used spainsh style font for title and it looks good.
Nothing is personal here. Your response above just suggested personal opinion. Wouldn't it have been better to have responded with the fact that it was discussed with naathim & Psymon before changing anything? This would have been a good response for an assumed lack of discussion by The_Bishop.

Do you intend continuing to develop this map to completion in accordance with the new criteria in the Guide?
The reason I ask is that naathim has started making graphic versions of the map as well as The_Bishop, only with a different theme to your work, suggesting that they feel you are not going to progress with it and are trying to develop the original map instead.
naathim
I'll get some graphics stuff done tonight, a few color changes, play around with some different backgrounds.
If you are not going to complete the map, please state this and I will ask naathim to seek alternative graphics collaboration. If naathim is just under this impression that you will not complete it, please communicate with him and find some equilibrium with game-play & graphic development.
Matty wrote:
Haven't been following this map really, only have so much time to stare at pixel details and for now I think the GB/Ireland map is more important, but I like NoXoN's version. It needs a bit more contrast between the different shades of yellow (brown?), but has a good and warm overall feeling.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
naathim wrote:
lol

Aero and NoXon 'discuss' somewhere else!! :P

I've tried twice now to give map to someone with better graphic skills, but nothing's come of it but trouble so far! So I'm just going to keep tinkering :)

It was my understanding that Psymon didn't think the map was acceptable with the number of territories and doesn't really want to take on the work that restructuring would entail since he's been busy and has other projects he wants to work on. And NoXon had got discouraged a bit and gave it up.

I've read the new guide...several times actually. And while this wasn't given permission to continue in the suggestions thread (because it was started so long ago LOLOLOL), I think it's still got good bones.

I was just trying to see if people preferred a more real life blue/water/ocean background or a paper/map background.

I think the paper ones fit better with the font. Gives it a nice 17th century literary feel almost. I'll work on better region colors and textures ^^

Gameplay and impassables have finally been nailed down. So from here I think we just have to get it up to the graphical standard.
PsymonStark wrote:
Hi there! This thread is open again, but please be gentle, especially with the mountains :D
Spoiler (click to show)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
I love the real map look!

Is this the same game-play you worked out with naathim earlier in this thread?