• 203 posts
  • Page 4 of 14
PsymonStark wrote:
You know, I set the bonus and I am pretty conservative on that. For me, almost always a 4/3 region is a +2.

@Naat, if you want, I can get the changed borders done in a pinch.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay @Psymon - I agree with the 4/3 worthing +2. But the Castilla La Mancha region must be redefined now because it got a border less, since I think +3 it's okay. The biggest one +6 or +7 doesn't change so much. The total of +36 I meant as maximum, the most pushed style I can think, but even a bit less it's okay maybe even better.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
I didn't say that it shouldn't change. I agree with the changes proposed indeed, both CyL and CLM.

How you define the optimal bonus sum of any map?
The_Bishop wrote:
@Psymon

Ops sorry that was a misinterpretation from my side of your term. CLM looks due to be a +3 with the added western mountains. The others we discussed can be +2, +2, +6 or +3, +3, +7.

I think the total bonus should be 50_60% of the territories, let say T/2 as minimum or 3T/5 as maximum. But I tend to search the maximum really :P But maybe Vexer can find a formula that he considers ideal.
UltrasPlot wrote:
Bigger bonuses are more fun to play with as then they actually become an alternative to stacking and taking cards - the recognized best playstyle on every map... except Mediterranean, Caribbean, Brethren Coast, and perhaps Italia. Because of this, games tend to get bland without any significant conflict until the board run. +3 / +3 / +7 would at least create some activity in the area.
-NoXoN- wrote:
I discussed with naathim for Iberian map and he told me that he dont have skill to finish some garphic parts so i will try to help him.
Final image that he showed me it is ok but we can make better graphic and also better gameplay.

Old gameplay will work but i dont like when river is on wrong place all the way so i made a changes with river, mountains, regions, territories and names. There is a reason why we call this map IBERIA so i tried to make gameplay based on that peninsula.

Green lines in this image will show where mountains will be. Let me know what you think. If you like old gameplay better then let me know why.

[IMG]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/noxonplus/IberiaA.jpg[/IMG]
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm glad to see this work to go ahead. Thanks Noxon.

I'm not sure what is the old gameplay you referred, because there are sevaral versions. Many arrangements are possible but I tend to trust Noxon's gameplay.

Maybe the mountains around the northern part of Burgos are a bit fictional, and I am not sure about the lake where Tajo river begins.

How many territories are there?
PsymonStark wrote:
Tajo river begins in Teruel, which is the southernmost province of Aragón (the one in red).

I don't like the gameplay proposed by Noxon, please pay attention to the southernmost region in Portugal: all borders. In my opinion this one is the most realistic + adequate gameplay, basically because it improves defensibility in many regions (e.g. Andalucía, Algarve, C. Valenciana):

Spoiler (click to show)

Well, I'd change a couple of things like the border in Albacete.
-NoXoN- wrote:
Thx Bishop, im trying something in my style.

@Psymon, Tajo River starts from the mountains east of Madrid. Well i dont think is big big problem to have 5 territories(all region) to control, they can be attacked from 4 territories. Also let me to remind you that d12 have more than one map where you must control 5 territories (all region) to get bonus while 8 and 9 territories can attack those regions.
Also is very easy to fix this by using Guadiana river.
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes, I know, it starts on Sistema Ibérico, SW Teruel (Albarracín). I live somewhat close to that place. As you can imagine, being a native, I'd like to get the most realistic-better gameplay for this map.

This map already has a lot of difficult to defend regions (say Andalucía, Castilla-León, Castilla-La Mancha, Ribatejo) so there is no reason to create more of them. At the moment in your version more than half of the regions have either 4 or more borders or every territory in a region as a border.
naathim wrote:
First off, I just want to say thanks to NoXoN for wanting to finish this map! Psymon's been awful busy, and I'm no good at finishing. So it's just awesome that this might get done!

For gameplay.... I'd say compromise. Enfold Faro/Algarve, Alicante, and (maybe) Grenada so they're not adjacent to other regions. That makes more regions more defensible.

I do think, so that it's less cluttered, maybe just take the tagus north around Caceres and then either north of Madrid where the mountains are in NoXoN's map or south of Madrid where it lies in the version Psymon posted. But that way you don't have to worry about getting the mountains and the river to match up and block off portions, you can just have one.

I love the looks of the map!! Especially the country and region outlines! So beautiful! The only thing I'm not a huge fan of the dotted lines. But they are easily visible, and that's the main thing.
-NoXoN- wrote:
No he was not busy, he had enough time to finish another map. Nobody wrote anything about this map for 5 months. Definitely he is not interested to finish this map and not interested to help.

I will show you another version without dotted lines.
PsymonStark wrote:
It's true, I left this project aside because I was more motivated by other ideas. Plus I was waiting for Naathim input.

In the end, it looks like a good decision. Just look what Noxon did!
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm glad Psymon likes my proposal number 1:
Spoiler (click to show)
Myself too I like that one as gameplay but unfortunately the river is a bit cheated, but also Noxon's mountains are, really.

My number 2 wasn't that bad probably, with impassables only based on real mountains:
Spoiler (click to show)
Maybe a bit more "labyrinth" but still good in my opinion and definitively realistic.

They both come from Post #36 where I also suggested the use of mountains can let some cheats to go and be restored to its actual shape.

But I tend to bear how Psymon adjusted Portugal territories to make those regions easier to defend. In Noxon's design defensibility has drastically fallen down.

Edit:
-Noxon-
No he was not busy, he had enough time to finish another map. Nobody wrote anything about this map for 5 months. Definitely he is not interested to finish this map and not interested to help.
It doesn't look like Psymon is not interested to help and it was a bit of an arrogant presumption in my opinion.
PsymonStark wrote:
Whoops, read only half of that post. I obviously intend to help, otherwise I wouldn't be posting at all.

Plus, I wouldn't forgive me for a Spain partition like the one in Med States or Europe 1814!