In the works
  • 190 posts
  • Page 9 of 13
Fendi wrote:
But now the border between Mie and Giju(?) looks weird..Oh and can you also fix the border between Nagano and Tokyo Bay? I know Thorpe, there is no pleasing us.

The font is nice and fits with the overall style but Im also finding it a bit hard to read..

I like the style you have gone for, but I have to agree with Cireon. It is a bit too dark..
Thorpe wrote:
Really? To dark? I know the borders fade at spots but not where it counts...Do you really need to see them clearly? Not like you can not tell you can attack that territory.
Just my thought.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
Really Fendi you are blind! Look at your map you did ...it is twice as bad!
No I will not fix anymore borders!
mmm...well maybe?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
This map always had a very dark look to it, but thats also one of the reasons why I love it. It has a very, well, asian style.

However, in your old version, you also had a yellow region - that makes the dark go away a bit.
Could you try to give the bottom-left region that yellow colour?
You could also try to lighten things up a bit, but please only do that a little bit, cause this style is really good.
(Old version: http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4158/koreajapans.jpg )

Yes, the problem Cireon had is not fixed, but moved elsewhere. Maybe it helps to go back to the old version (to solve the Gifu-Mie problem), and extend the land a bit to the south (so you steal a bit from the sea) (to solve the Shizuoka-Mie problem).

If you move the "Yellow Sea" text a bit more to the bottom its better readable I think.

Should the minimap say 4myGod, Papa & Vexer???

I have no problems with the font. True, its not perfectly readable, but it wasnt on Vexer's clear map as well - its because of the font, not of the background colours. And I just love this font, so pleeease keep it :)

If I look at that old version it looks really blurry compared to this one - great job here. I love this map!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
Just because there is art on the map now does not excuse everyone from further comments on game play. Matty, you said that the Hamgyong bonus should be lower, I responded, but you didn't respond back. I made an argument for having many ports and powerful regions. No one has any comments about that?

This map will keep it's dark look. We are not going to infringe on Thorpe's artistic rights. The artist gets to make the art like he or she wants as long as it meets the guidelines and the majority of players are ok with it. You don't have to like it to be ok with it. The darkness can be modified but it's not going away.

The font stays. It looks too cool to change it. You may not know perfectly how to spell a territory to put it in chat but you'll get close enough that people will know which one you are referring too. Also, now that we can click on cards and have a marker show up on the map having perfectly readable fonts is less of a big deal. We are going with art over functionality for this aspect as well.

I will fix the outline near Mie. I used a particular method to get a certain look so it will look better if I use that same method on the fix.

Thorpe, feel free to play around with the colors as you like. I chose them quickly from the colors on the old version (although I think they look good). But I do think the S. Korea should remain it's brown color because it helps minimize the dominance of the black outline in the more detailed parts.
Thorpe wrote:
I look at the map on my other cpu and it looks better than the one on this one...mmmm...
I might give the overall map a more yellow tint but I do not know what else I would change.

Oh I did get new glasses...they just started to get thicker now.

As for the border near Mie I just clipped and paste it so it is a copy of your outline.
Cireon wrote:
The darkness is fine, but I have to fully turn up the brightness of my screen to be able to actually see there is a border between North Jeolla and South Jeolla and between Wakayama and Mie. Most other borders are fine.

I get you want to stick to a theme, but if that theme means the map becomes impossible to impossible to read on a normal screen, I think artistic feelings have less priority than functionality. I am not a photoshop expert, but it seems that it is the texture that makes that specific areas almost black, is it not possible to bring that dawn even a little bit to make the border more visible?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Thorpe wrote:
Yes...but really get away from those mono-chrome screens!
Vexer wrote:
if you lighten the brown color of S. Korea a bit then the black on that border will stand out better. You shouldn't have to change the edge shading.
Matty wrote:
I have no problems with this map on my screen, but then I have a quality laptop, and no macbook (sorry, I had to say that)
I checked on my tablet as well (with lowest brightness), and there it is visible, but barely. So I think cireon is right here.

Anyways, @Thorpe, you did something to the background, I like it, but I think you overdid that. Could you halve the effect or so?
For example, I agree that your 'sun' was too much visible on the old version, but here its hardly visible.

@Vexer, I still think that region is relatively safe. Not so much because no one can reach you, but more because you're not bothering anyone's path in no way. And you really only have two borders in alot of cases. If a region is so strong that "in this case it should definitely be broken", than you might either want to do make it less strong, or be sure that there is at least one other very strong region too.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7811/koreajapanw.jpg
@Vexer/Cireon I did not mind lighten the edges...looking back to the one players liked it was on the lighter side...

@Matty did that fix it? Changed it by 10
Looking at my screen it lost the yellow or is it my old glasses that I have on?
Cireon wrote:
Way better! Also, I think I prefer the second one you posted over the first one, just because it is a little darker to the edges. I think the map looks good this way :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Yay, that fixed it yes. I too like the last version best.