In the works
  • 190 posts
  • Page 12 of 13
Matty wrote:
So my suggestion for a new cap would be Gyeonggi, in the top of the S. korea region.
You could maybe also move N. Gyeongsang to S. Gyeongsang (same region) to get the ports somewhat further apart.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Port, I think you mean port instead of cap.

I also think Muzuane has a point about the extra region, but then the map would be small-regions only. The big 5-bonus region makes the map a bit more diverse, so I am not 100% sure if it should be removed or changed, but it is a bit too easy to defend for a 5-region.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Indeed I mean ports, thanks you!
Its Thorpe's fault for suggesting no caps on this map, we defenitely should have them, but we just need ppl that have time and skill to make up caps.

And the +5 is for lots of territories, if you add more borders, the bonus should go up as well.
Remember Asia? It has 4 borders only (Including eastern europe)...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
My thoughts were another port...but since we are looking why not look at what caps I have suggested(my posting above) ...or just forget them.

Myself I would love caps on this map.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
I can do the caps after we get the game play modified. But the question is when will I have time? If another programmer would finish capped cards for me then I would have more time.

The +5 region is modeled after the North America region on the World Map--9 territories and 3 borders to defend. Players take the smaller regions in half the time so I think that the player who takes the risk to take a larger region deserves a good sized bonus. If you want a map that has all small regions then play on the Mediterranean Sea.

Here's what I suggest:

http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Korea%20and%20Japan%20Risk%20Map3.jpg

I think it fixes both game play issues.

I also modified the colors to look better on my new monitor. If I made it worse for you, let me know.
Thorpe wrote:
I was not thinking you Vexer for the caps...Duh...lol
I like the port and the colors are fine to me ...not much change...
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
The problem in this map,as I see it, it's that in Korea one region it's much easier to conquer than the others, and its bonus it's quite big. With your suggestion, Vexer, now one of the difficult regions it's even harder to get. I think that now it would be easier to the player who has the North region to control all the peninsula, and the difference it's that now he will have to defend 3 ports.

I can understand you don't know new (and smaller) regions but isn't there any other way to balance this? A way to make the middle region more atractive?
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Vexer wrote:
The middle region is very attractive already. You only have to conquer 5 territories for a +3.

I've never heard you complain about North America on the world map so why are you having so much trouble with South Korea? By the time someone actually takes it, several other players will already have a region and can either break them or stop them from getting the last territory if they think the region is too powerful. That's how people play it on the world map, you just don't let anyone keep North America or Europe.

MuzuaneAskari wrote:
Because N. America has a big bonus but it's quite difficult to hold any other continents because of it, but with North Korea it's easier to go for the other bonuses.

The middle region may be as easy to conquer as you say, I don't know, I just talk about what I've seen and I just remember one game when somebody tried to hold from the beginning (the problem I think it's not the number of provinces but the borders).

I think the one who controls the North region has a big advantage, if other players react to this it can be a funny game, but it doesn't happen so often (from my experience).

Anyway, I just wanted to share my opinion after Matty's question. But, as it looks like, most people think like you Vexer so this 3rd port should be the solution.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
Ah! I have no problem with the +5 region. I've said that the owner of the Northest region has much more chances to control the other 2 Korean regions than other players. And if he gets it (to hold the 3 regions) game it's close to be won.

Finally, in my post #172 I meant I can understand you don't WANT new (and smaller) regions but isn't there any other way to balance this? Instead of: I can understand you don't know new (and smaller) regions but isn't there any other way to balance this?
Cireon wrote:
Well, it's not the regions that are the problem, it's the combination of regions that together create one big superregion with a +11 bonus and only two borders which is usually impossible to break alone, because the rest of the territories/region are divided by let's say three players and I haven't seen any game yet in which they players actually worked together to break Korea, resulting in a win for the person holding it.

Three ports will improve the access to Korea. I am not sure if this completely solves the problem, so I think this map needs to stay in the test phase until we are sure the whole Korea-thing is balanced again.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Matty wrote:
The colours are a small improvement, though S. Korea is more alike with the sea now. I think its ok, its not too much alike, but dont go brighten that one more than this.

Would it be better for the center region there if it's cap was moved one spot down?
Also, with the port moved in the north that region is better balanced now, and the center and north region have an equal amount of borders.
The only negative part about the center region is that its, well, the center region :)

@Muzuanne, the problem that the three regions in korea are too strong together is discussed right now. The problem that the northern most region is too strong seems to be solved as well as a side product.
What other solution are you suggesting?
Giving the northern most region a +2 would solve its problem as well, but that wouldn't solve the problem of the three regions together being too strong...
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
@Matty, what I suggested it's to give some incentive to players to fight for the bonuses in Korea. I don't think that a port in the middle region would be a solution. If someone has a good set up in the Northern region and I have some chances in the middle one and in another region in Japan I would probably try in Japan. As Ciceron said I haven't seen players working in a team to stop the one who is controlling Hamgyong, so why should I waste my chances in a "lost war"? I know it's a mistake because I make thinks easier for the a player who already has good chances, but sacrifice my options won't give more chances.

Maybe I just had bad luck with the games I played, what I know it's that every game I play this map it becomes less attractive to me. If I keep playing it it's because I want to be ready (to know the paths) when the Caps will be set; because I think this can be a great map for caps with more than 6 players.
Cireon wrote:
"Ciceron" - Cireon :D

@Matty: I think you mean ports once again?

Muzuane: you say you might have had bad luck with your games. Well, if that's so, make that two persons that have bad luck. And if it is two players having "bad luck", that can hardly be taken for a coincidence, right? So yes, this is a problem that should be solved. Adding an extra port (or two) is an easy solution, but is it enough?
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
@Cireon, at least you can't complain with the mistake I made with your name ;-)