In the works
  • 190 posts
  • Page 6 of 13
Crystal wrote:
You know purple is my favorite color... so... the text on the mini map NEEDS to be PURPLE!

j/k
Thorpe wrote:
Spud Girl! Too funny

PURPLE IT IS!!!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
Lol, latitudes and longitudes :)
well, that explains it at least :P

And I must say, for someone that is not good with text and connection lines you are doing pretty well!

Dont know, but I think you can check the characters from 4mygods version :S

If you want the ocean text to be hard to read its ok, but I would make them a little bit better readable though. Also, you might want to fade the chinese characters as well than.
But maybe you should make them darker, as you also do with the background and territories
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
Again no time to comment on everything but I did notice on the left side it appears that one of the layers is misaligned. It's most noticeable in China, or was that on purpose? Either way it looks messed up.

About game play.. it's horrible.. but it can be easily fixed. There is not enough connectivity between the two sides of the map and amongst the regions. I think there should ports and the only connection lines should be from the small islands to the nearest mainland. I don't think the islands should be ports. I think that not having connection lines between Japan and Korea would force players to study the map and figure out there are ports.

I think it would be really interest to only have ports on the inside of the map and any port can attack any other port. If everyone likes this idea (how could they not, it's awesome) then I leave it to you to figure out how many and where to place them.

So this will go from a map with almost no connectivity to a highly connected map. No one will be able to say 'I would attack the strong player but I just can't get to them.'
Thorpe wrote:
Great idea..to bad you did not think of it!

4myGods first post:

Gameplay: Most of the small islands will be connected by lines to 1 other territory in their country. I will add be perhaps 5-10 major ports on Korea and Japan. A major port can attack any other major port. I will most likely add major ports where big cities are in reality.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
I saw that also after I posted it...layer misaligned.
Fixed it.
Thorpe wrote:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/koreajapan.jpg/
or
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/151/koreajapan1.jpg/

Thinking of how to do the ports...ideas?

Maybe have docks, ships, but I do not want anchors.
Pntbttr wrote:
looks really nice...but I would have to say leave out the curled edges...
Vexer wrote:
the curled edges won't look right you'll have white in the corners. Plus I don't like them either.

Grid lines look much better.

Sorry, that's all i have time for right now.
Leedog wrote:
For what it's worth, I like the curled edges but think having them on all 4 corners would look better than 2, but based on map, won't work.

Also as port idea, how about some type of image of "junk" ship:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O1OMXCdY10c/T0-3qjhiGsI/AAAAAAAAAd8/jf2It-DSwiY/s1600/00003.jpg
Thorpe wrote:
Curled edges do not have white they are transparent...just shows as white in imageshack
Thorpe wrote:
will wait for other comments.
did you see what I did with mini-map?
Leedog I have those junkards on the map...I could use them though.
anybody else?
Matty wrote:
Yay, another update.

Dont think green text works though, not on the minimap and not on the land. It just looks wrong, remembers me of snails, dont know why.

Not sure about the minimap borders either.
The yellow one has a nice texture, or looks nice, but stands out too much. The fat purple looks bad. And a combination of thin purples, a fat purple and a yellow ...

The grid's really nice!
The suns visibility is good as well. Im actually not sure if you changed anything or not, maybe its just me ;)

Chine as nice!
Ocean text is nicer too.
Map border is alot better.
I also like the overall change in the lands colour.

Oh, and these curled edges are not bad (ignoring the white). But the lighting looks a bit like metal, instead of paper. I think that's what bothering ppl. Also its better to curl all corners I think (if you want to curl things that is).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
thorpe, currently transparency doesn't work with the site because the site is only set up for jpg files which have no transparency. We would have to change some code to get it to work for png format which does have transparency but then we would have huge file downloads because png does not compress as much as jpg. The internet isn't fast enough yet to use png for a map. Maybe in 5 years. The only other possibility would be for you to create a background behind the paper that would match the site. But you would have to change it if the site's look were to change.

It's easier to just not have them.