In the works
  • 190 posts
  • Page 5 of 13
Thorpe wrote:
The rays are of Japan and not China...so I only put it where Japan controlled that area of the map...the east sea is really named Japan East Sea but Japan was dropped later so for the map I kept it off.

Pntbttr you got to get over the river! that is to scale or at least the one 4myGods outline had.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
Guess what?
I flattened the map to save it as a JPEG and did not save it with all the layers on the map and then wrote over the early version that I had saved (with layers) ...so now I have saved only two layers...the curved edges and the whole map!!!!!

LOST it all...starting over, this is the second time I have done something like this to a map! Realm of Honer Players was the other one.

Just said this to let other map-makers know to pay close watch on how you save your maps!

Dumbbell Thorpe and OLD!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
marcoxa wrote:
yea i ALWAYS make sure i save to copies. 1 GIMP file and a JPG file. very important. also Thorpe i number my updates and save them as new files. exp JungleMap24 so if i need to go back on an update nothing is ruined.
Thorpe wrote:
My cpu is old so I have a small hard drive and I save it on a flash drive...with just one map ...no problem but when you have more than one map...Wow.

I just live with it.
marcoxa wrote:
True, I have a 1 Terabyte external hard drive. Needless to say I don't worry about space too much lol
Vexer wrote:
there is free online storage out there. 7GB is more than you'll need for your maps. You should be saving every version of the map. Not just every version you post, but every time you work on the map you should be saving a new version. Korea1.pdn, Korea2.pdn etc. If that means you have 50 versions then that is what it means. After the map is done then you can go back and delete most of them but It's always a good idea to save some of them in case you had layers you ended up delete but would like to use on a new map.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use Microsoft's free service.
http://skydrive.live.com/

just create a live id click on the documents folder and click add files. Point to the file on your computer and then wait.. it takes awhile to upload large files.

If you are not a microsoft fan then try google's 5GB free service:
http://drive.google.com
Thorpe wrote:
thank you Vexer! Always a wealth of information on things for this old man.
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9020/koreajapan.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

Now what do you guys and ladies think?
Vexer wrote:
wow, the style looks great.

How did you do all this in one weekend?

There are a few things but I don't have time to type them, it's late. I'll let matty post what he can see first and then follow up that up if I see anything more.

But here's a quick one, center the title with the mini map.

Looks like the characters got fixed yet i never resent you that layer. How'd you do that?

Btw, someone called them Chinese characters and you corrected him by saying they are Japanese, well only some of them are Japanese. Many of them are Chinese. Japanese uses Chinese characters.
Thorpe wrote:
lol
I forgot the center!dang!
Yes I found out about the Chinese being used by the Japanese!hehe
Matty wrote:
Ooooh Thorpe, this is defenitely the best version untill now, wow!!!

Well, I like your 'right sun', but you could make it a little bit more visible. Just a little bit. Its really nice this way, but I had to look for it to see if you removed it or just changed it :)
But then, now I look at it again, it looks good this way too, hmmz, not sure.
Not really sure about your 'left sun'. Especially on the center it's quite outstanding.

Your fonts looks really good with the style of the map, but is not that readable everywhere. The best (or worst) example is the Pacific Ocean text on the bottom right :)
(The chinese Japanese decoration is way better visible than the see names!)
The font on the land is good to me. On the minimap I dont really like it. Maybe too sharp on the edges.
Now I look at it again, is it a bit transparant???
If so, it seems to work on the land, but not on the minimap (maybe because its white?)
Maybe also you should have all your text in the minimap be one colour. But I dont really like both the black and the white ones.

Grey text and light-red text on china is weird. Maybe better if both are the same colour.

Oh, the P from P'yongan might be moved a bit to the right I think.

Not sure about the N from North top right of the minimap ;)

You use some kind of grid thingy. Is not bad, but maybe a bit too well visible. It also looks weird on China, and the little part in the bottom-right sticks out waaay to much.

Im not sure about your connection lines. They are way better than the old one.
I dont like them going on the land. You should really keep them on the sea. Also I like the fat ones better than the thin ones (there is a difference right? Or is it just the distance :P)

Land texture is nice, though it looks a bit weird on bright spots.
Looks awesome on china, but can use some improvement I think.

Love it how its darker on the edges of the land and background.

Havent looked to region bonusses very well, but there is a region with just 5 territories, but a bonus of 5, thats alot.

Overall its a really dark map, but I love the style.
You're awesome Thorpe!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Leedog wrote:
Thorpe, when you are getting "Wows", you know you're on to something good!! =)
Crystal wrote:
The map is looking good... I just am not sure of the bright white lettering on the mini map. Can it be more of the beige from the title color?
Thorpe wrote:
The color of the text on the mini can be purple Crystal!
Can or needs are two different things, I think what you want to say is needs to be more of the beige from the title color. LOL

Matty now that I look at the Sun on the left ...it was not suppose to be a sun...I will fix...longitude and latitude lines...sorry.

The text on the Pacific Ocean was made to barely see as the Yellow Sea was also. The bottom of the map edge is suppose to look faded so I felt I needed to fade the three ocean texts...used a gradient fade on the Korea Strait text.

Remember I am not good a map text and connection lines? This is the first time I have tried it for text and the lines are the same as all the other lines.

As for the "N" is for North...will fix that also.

You eye caught the transparent on the mini! Wow! Wanted it to be that way but I guess it did not work well. Hehehe.

And Vexer I still need that layer so when somebody knows how to read those characters they will not chew me out...I cheated...!