Make Dominating 12 look and function better!
  • 385 posts
  • Page 24 of 26
hooboy11 wrote:
It covers the map so when I am playing fog of war, I can't see what I just uncovered, so I don't know how many troops to send. Please change it back or give us the option to not use it.
God_of_War wrote:
hooboy11
It covers the map so when I am playing fog of war, I can't see what I just uncovered, so I don't know how many troops to send. Please change it back or give us the option to not use it.

i would bet as a Same Time player too that it is annoying to not know exactly where the box will pop up and it would slow us down.
Hi there!
bmalisewski wrote:
Is there a way to move the dice rolls inside the black box? Centralizing everything needed for a turn within the interface would help.
elysium5 wrote:
I think the change is good but I only play on a pc so I can't comment on the other platform issues.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
There are a lot of calls to revert the UI, or to make this an option. I'll address this once in this post, and going forward will only respond to further constructive suggestions.

We are not planning to roll back the UI change. As can be seen in this thread, we have been experimenting with this new UI for multiple years now. The first iteration of this UI was created over four years ago! The test version has also been available for multiple years. We believe we have done due diligence in gathering feedback, and enabled the new UI when no new feedback has come in for several months. The new UI solves several real problems the existing UI has, and it does not make sense to hold back those improvements due to a select few people preferring the old UI over the new.

We are not planning to provide an option to keep the old UI. The old UI is built on old technology that we are actively trying to remove from Dominating12. Keeping the old UI means having to rebuild it from scratch. For a team of volunteer programmers who are already continuously harassed for not implementing the features that keep being requested, it is unreasonable to ask them to also support multiple versions of the features.

We are planning to continuously improve the new UI. Enabling the new UI is the first step in further developing it. Getting rid of the old UI means we open up capacity to further improve the game UI. We hear the feedback that some people do not like that the UI covers part of the map, and that is something we will look into addressing as soon as we have capacity to do so.

Overall, we got many complaints about misclicks in the old UI, and many people prefer the new UI. Other people complain about the new UI. Offering both as an option is infeasible (see above). There is no making everybody happy here, and we strongly believe that this new UI puts us in a better position to iterate from, as we will continue to address any actionable, constructive feedback.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
sfclimbers wrote:
I agree that not being able to move the dialog (i.e. black box) is problematic on mobile. The problem is not limited to just the new troop dialog, but also the Begin Turn dialog, etc. I, too, have had times where I had to switch over to a laptop just to see what troop placements looked like under a dialog. 99% of my play is on a laptop; So, I am generally unaffected by the limitations, and greatly in favor of the new design. But, it is definitely sub-optimal on mobile.
Hoodlum wrote:
this doesn't affect sametime games in my opinion, i've used it since it was introduced. the initial issue that has now been fixed was when the control buttons were in the middle of the slider, and with all the multi clicking, reaction play of sametime, you might accidentally send half the troops. not an issue anymore as the button location has been repositioned.
i find it more convenient that it pops up close to where you've clicked, and it disappears just as fast when you click somewhere else so you can see the map, but i don't think it even blocks the map that much, it has enough transparency. most of the time live sametimers are just waiting till the last 20 seconds or so., it's a matter of getting use to it, and the regular sametimers should be able to adapt with their reaction play. while they are waiting :) get use to clicking your territories, and off them, to work with the box...,u can drag it.. it works fine on PC.
who plays sametime on a phone?
i think it's just a matter of getting use to it.
i was gonna make a video of how i play sametime with the UI, but no one joined my game :)
i'll try later
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
There should now be a button to pin the new UI to the top for those who really prefer it not covering the map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Cireon wrote:
bmalisewski
Is there a way to move the dice rolls inside the black box? Centralizing everything needed for a turn within the interface would help.
I like this idea, though I am not sure we can do this without making the UI much bigger, which I'd like to avoid. I'll investigate.
God_of_War wrote:
Cireon
There should now be a button to pin the new UI to the top for those who really prefer it not covering the map.

Just found this today. This is a big difference. 
Hi there!
vikingo1337 wrote:
The pin is too close to the X in my opinion.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
vikingo1337 wrote:
It would also be nice if we had the option of choosing between a floating box or a pinned box as our default setting.
~Fafnismal 28
Cireon wrote:
The setting should persist on your device as long as you have cookies enabled.
vikingo1337 wrote:
It doesn't, but maybe that's just me.

As for the pin and the X, they are so close to each other that a missclick is a definite possibility – especially on a phone.

Btw. could the box be pinned somewhere else than in front of the dice? Can't see the rolls that way.
~Fafnismal 28
Temul wrote:
What about the bug/glitch when you go to move an entire stack into a recently conquered area, but instead it only sends 1 and there's no way to adjust/fix it. That's happened in two of my last three games. That can directly cost people wins