Make Dominating 12 look and function better!
  • 385 posts
  • Page 2 of 26
skarni wrote:
great job. Clear, easy, does not change everything when you move the game type :-). Almost perfect!
Llibertat Presos polítics catalans. Love Democracy.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I guess now it's the most moment to ask for something. Would it be possible when you chose a Caps Game to see where the caps are?

I mean, if you can see that a Cap has a great advantadge (or disadvantadge) you can change the number of players
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Matty wrote:
Ok, I changed a number of things:
- The colour selector looks more like Cireon's proposal (but it still has text)
- The submit button is customized
- The authors work properly (@Vexer, you can set the secundary authors to 3 for the ordering now if you want to - I dont know who are primary and who are secundary authors...)
- It has decent mouse pointers now
- The map is centered (well, horizontally)

For the vertical centering of the map image I want to resize the whole map browser, so that it also looks better on your big screen, but thats a todo, like advanced options checkbox and (maybe) the wizard thingy.

If you want to filter better, you will have to enter numbers, which is a pain. I think its best this way.

We can of course set the filters to size maps depending on the number of players, but I personally prefer to see all of them.
Adding another button to choose a random recommanded map is an idea, though currently there is no way to detect ports, and maps with ports tend to give quite a different game play on domination games.

@Muzuanne, that is an option I would really like myself too, but it's not that easy to do, so for now i'll postpone it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Hmm, I think showing the capitals was something we wanted to do, didn't we?

Anyhow, thanks for the changes. I am looking forward to the things on your todo list.

As there is still a lot of room on the right of the map filter (not sure if that is my screen only), would it maybe be possible to show some more information next to the maps about for example the size (or amount of players) with an icon or something?

Another idea you could look into: instead of doing the turn order like this, having the options next to each other (so everything horizontally). Not sure if that fits on smaller screens, but I think it would look better and be more clear about what belongs to what.

"maximum points" should be capitalized too...

Map author filtering is not working.

What happens if you seIect filters that result in no maps being shown at all, is that handled properly? ;)

I think the create game button could be even bigger and maybe dark red by default :D I couldn't find a good example, so I decided to take a screenshot from my own site. The big green button ("Registreer nu" means "register now" btw) is there to draw attention and to make sure that people now that can (should) click it. The current "create game" button does not draw attention a lot though :(

I still feel like the colour seIect is a little bit out of place. For some reason it looks a bit "cheap" and "simple" compared to the rest, but I think it is better than before. Maybe also change the text colour on hover, because now you only change the background resulting in unreadable text until you actually click it.

See, I have less to complain than lass time. I am so sorry for being such a horrible person with my comments, feel free to hit me anytime. I just want this page to be PERFECT!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Cireon wrote:
I talked about this on the chat already, but I will just put it here for reference:

An "include premium maps" checkbox.

Split up maps in three difficulties "beginner", "advanced" and "expert" (but Matty thought this would not be a good idea anyway).

Also, the author filter is really not working for me on Chrome (yes, after refreshing 3 times) :(
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Vexer wrote:
The author filter doesn't work for me either on chrome.

Yes programming in the capitals positions will be a pain but it will be well worth it.

I too agree that the color selector seems cheap. Part of the problem might be the pastel colors. Could it work if all of the colors are the darker versions and you put a dark red rectangle around the selected one?

Nice work guys.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I don't know anything about programing so forgive me if I say something stupid; but I don't think that there isn't anything different in programming this interface for 15 maps or for 25. I say this because if you have every cap map with its capitals (I mean, an image for 2 Caps, another for 3 Caps, etc.) wouldn't be like adding another map?

If I am right it will probably be a lot of work with the maps but not programming.

I just wanted to help but I am afraid I am saying nonsesnses.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Matty wrote:
It will mean having 20 images of every map (every map has two sizes) - that's alot of images.

Apart from that, it will mean updating 20 maps instead of 2 if you want to make a small change somewhere, so storing lots of images is not best practise - even if you have plenty of space (as images are alot bigger than code files).

It is a possibility, but its not very appealing from coding perspective, and I dont think its very appealing from map making perspective either :)

It would make it a whole lot easier for me now though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Ok, I fixed the javascript bug with Chrome, added some small things, and changed the colour selector to use a border like Vexer suggested.

Its black, red is even uglier, and please select things at the right side, otherwise it acts funny.

I didnt fix that, because I think it looks worse in the first place, but uploaded so that you can see it and maybe come with a good idea for that. I've run out :)
Vexer wrote:
Yeah, it's not any better. I'll try and think of something else. Hopefully others will think about it too.
ronalchn wrote:
I think an interface change for the actual game would improve user experience the most. Currently, I have to slowly look at the game log to find out what happened. This is especially hard when playing on an unfamiliar map because you have to work out where the territory is. It would be much better to display what is happening on the map itself, perhaps with forward and backward arrows to go back and forth in time.

For example, arrows to show movement and attacks, num+ to show reinforcements.

It may also help to dim out an arrow after 1 step, and leave it on the map for a few more steps. This would make it easy to see the last few moves all at once.
Cireon wrote:
Yes, people suggested this before, but this is not just an interface change, it would also involve changing a huge part of the backbone to support this behaviour and as we are kinda low on time to work on these things, we will be unable to implement something similar to this for a while, while changing the create game page improvements are considerably easier to implement.
Vexer wrote:
This is what I have always had in mind for choosing your color. I think it's natural since you are always clicking on them. And I think it looks much nicer. If desired you can have the label for each color show up when you hover over it.

http://dominating12.com/forums/Images/Create%20Game%20color%20chooser.jpg
Cireon wrote:
I think I prefer filled discs over circles with just an outline to be honest, but you could try both.