Make Dominating 12 look and function better!
  • 385 posts
  • Page 20 of 26
sfclimbers wrote:
Cireon
Provide obvious indication that a new post has been added to the game chat (e.g. bold tab text or change color, or ...). The map refresh rate sometimes has significant lag. So, I keep the game log as the default tab in order to read what happened. As a result, there has been a number of times where I have missed game chat due to not knowing that a new comment was posted.
Sadly we don't keep track of what posts you have and haven't read, and we also don't really have a good indicator of when you have actually read a chat message, so I don't think this is something we'll have soon.
I ran into this again last night, despite repeatedly switching over to the chat window to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Once the game started moving quicker, I checked less frequently and missed entries. Would it be possible to play a sound every time a new chat message was posted, much like a messenger app on a smart phone does? That way you don't need to preserve any kind of state. Rather, you always notify for every new post. You could include a toggle feature to enable/disable sound for those that don't want to hear it. It would be a meaningful improvement for those of us that don't have the game chat tab as the active tab. Thanks.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
sfclimbers
Would it be possible to play a sound every time a new chat message was posted, much like a messenger app on a smart phone does? That way you don't need to preserve any kind of state. Rather, you always notify for every new post. You could include a toggle feature to enable/disable sound for those that don't want to hear it.
I think this is a good idea ^
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Cireon wrote:
I've added that as a task to our backlog.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
sfclimbers wrote:
Cireon
I've added that as a task to our backlog.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the consideration.
sfclimbers wrote:
I tried the new UI for attack/fortification. Upon first seeing it, I thought "Very nice, for sure I'm going to want this". After using it for awhile, I ran into 2 issues:
1. I found that the dialog obscured the region a little too much. I found myself frequently dragging it out of the way. This could be unique to the way I process signals. But, I like to see the greater context when I'm acting. I like an uninterrupted view of how much strength I have in the immediately surrounding areas, and where I might be weak relative to my opponents. This is particularly true when making that choice to try "just one more roll" before stopping. If the dialog could appear a little further from the action, that would be preferred IMHO.
2. Not sure how it happened, but somehow I moved 0 troops upon conquering, when I was trying to move all. I don't know if I clicked the wrong thing by accident, or whether something misbehaved.
Stylistically, very attractive, though.
sfclimbers wrote:
Would be nice if instead of Games (won/lost) on user detail, you showed the percentage of wins. e.g.
Games played: 10
Win rate: 40% (4 games)
Or some variation of that. Basically, I think people might be more interested in the win ratio, rather than the raw numbers, much like baseball reports the player's batting average. The Games Played already gives us the raw scope of how much the person has played. In my case, the next question becomes; What percentage of those were wins? Showing just the raw won/lost means that I have to do the math ;-)
Thanks
Cireon wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, sfclimbers. On your obscuring problem, I can definitely see that. Personally I kinda like that the dialog pops up close to where my mouse is anyway, and then I can always move it if needed. If you have any suggestions on how to better position it, I am happy to experiment.

Regarding the second problem, hard to say what happened without seeing a screenshot or a way to reproduce. If you find out how that happens, let us know and we'll try to fix it!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
sfclimbers wrote:
Cireon
Thanks for the feedback, sfclimbers. On your obscuring problem, I can definitely see that. Personally I kinda like that the dialog pops up close to where my mouse is anyway, and then I can always move it if needed. If you have any suggestions on how to better position it, I am happy to experiment.
Yeah, never going to please all the people all of the time. My vote is moving it away a little, but totally understand the opposite point of view. I don't have a better proposal.

Cireon
Regarding the second problem, hard to say what happened without seeing a screenshot or a way to reproduce. If you find out how that happens, let us know and we'll try to fix it!
I've continued using the new attack dialog (and paying extra attention). What happened to me tonight was probably what happened to me last time. I play on a laptop using the touchpad.
 After conquering a territory, and then moving the mouse downward from where the Attack button was toward where the Send button is (intending to accept the default slider position of send all), I find that initiating the cursor move is getting recognized as having clicked on the slider, sliding its value as I move the cursor toward the send button, such that by the time my mouse reaches the Send button, I've changed the number of troops. Obviously, a heavy finger fault on my part. But, arranging it somehow so that the slider is not so close to where the attack button was, would help me. FWIW, I personally never use the slider, in favor of interacting with the numeric spinner. Just another data point, if you're collecting usage pattern info.
Cireon wrote:
Thanks! I'm going to try moving things around a bit to see if that makes things better.
dough_boy wrote:
Many of us have reported this before. If you are on a kill streak and have a lot to kill with, smashing the attack often times when it ends the last click was on the slider and changed things, then if you are not careful you accidentally split your forces, etc. So in your case, you are clicking too many times and not verifying the fortifying before accepting. Get in the habit until someone can alter the position of the attack vs the slider.
sfclimbers wrote:
The numerical spinner seems to have stopped working for me. I can still type in the value, and use the slider, but the spinner no longer has any effect. Using Chrome on a Mac.
Cireon wrote:
Hmm, I know Chrome has recently changed some of their web controls. Sadly I don't have a Mac ready to test on, so I'll have to do some research.
jr502 wrote:
Hi. This is a great site. So many things are just done well.  I'm pretty new and I've noticed a couple of basic things that I haven't found clearly documented and thought maybe it could be added to the FAQ, glossary, or both.
(1) as a free user, I sometimes get a notice that I have reached the max number of pw protected games. This happens even when I have zero games going on. And I think it happens on days I have not played a game and have no games going on. I am not sure what the max pw rule is, or how to resolve the issue.
(2) I don't exactly know what a 'pending' game is, or what it means when you set up a pw-protected game (live or long term) but the full # of players never joins so the game never starts. It seems eventually (live or long term??) even the creator is kicked from the game. But the game still exists out there, it is not deleted. Is it "pending?" or dropped off and is in netherland? Does it count against your "max number of pw games?"

I may have some of this wrong. I am writing this from memory. In a nutshell, I have a problem and a suggestion. The suggestion is better documentation of this site limit/rule. The problem I want to solve is: How do I know my "number of pw protected games" at any given time, and how to I reduce this to zero if I have zero games being played?

Thanks!
P.S. Related
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/768/expire-times
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/2543/how-many-password-protected-games
https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/2510/migration-bug/post/39882#post-39882
Cireon wrote:
Pending games are games that haven't started yet because they're still missing players. They do count towards your maximum of password protected games.