Bug bug bug and whatelse?
  • 260 posts
  • Page 14 of 18
SpamFree wrote:
Matty
Hmmm, interesting. There's quite some space left for me. Can you give me a screenshot? (at 100%, please don't make it smaller - I want to count the pixels).
Also maybe try Ctrl+F5 some times? Might be it, not sure, I'd guess it shouldn't, but maybe it helps?

I tried to upload .bmp but it was converted to .png, but not supposed to resize. I hope it helps:
Spoiler (click to show)

TheMachiavelli wrote:
A few points all in one post – please bear with me

Lag and other undesirable behaviour
This is arguably the main issue with the site at the moment (perhaps second only to the belief the dice are out to get you, at least amongst those not mathematically inclined). It’s not so much the lag, which is predictable and so one could theoretically incorporate it into one’s plans, as the unpredictable lag-like glitches. For instance, when you conquer a territory, moving your army into said territory can take a while. Or require a refresh for the menu to appear. But only sometimes. And how much you're slowed down by this varies from time to time.

Given the new site has been around for a while, I’d started to suspect that the different lag-like behaviours might be inherent to the design – perhaps related to the more secure way the database is queried now. But chatting with Stratosphere earlier he (or she? I’m not sure!) mentioned that “Cireon and Matty are working on an issues list, taking the number down, and once it reaches zero and remain on zero for a good time, we'll have a sudden good speed up I assume”.

I was wondering whether Cireon or Matty could comment on these: is the expectation that the lag and other laggy behaviour will eventually be conquered and eradicated? Or is some of this behaviour a side effect of the backend improvements? Or do we simply not know yet?

Barriers to same time
In the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue. But as it affects the type of game I predominantly play, here go my thoughts.

Back when it was proposed to make sametime something one purchased, I spoke in favour. The idea was to prevent people new to the site from stumbling across a sametime game, and then leaving as a result of the experience. Also to not have new people ruining a sametime capital game by abandoning their cap. However, the system in place seems to be encouraging most people to stay away from same time altogether.. Bizarre as it might seem to those of us reading and replying in this forum, the majority of people on this website won’t have searched the forums. Or navigated through the site. The current system which warns you you’re entering beta setting (window which most people, even some veteran same timers didn’t know how to get rid off) and then doesn’t take you where you can unlock these games has meant that very few people can experience this game type. I’ve had a few people ask me (in game or through PM) how to get into those games – but the majority of people just assume it’s off-limits to them.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Granting the ability to play sametime games to players who have played more than x number of games (maybe 20? Enough so that they are familiar with the site and how the game works)
2) Making the window that pops up when you join a sametime say something like “If you haven’t unlocked sametime games yet, you can do that now by going here ”.

I’m not sure if it would be possible to remove the pop up window from people who have already bought same time? I know people can remove it themselves, so this is a minor issue. Maybe have another link on the window (if you don’t want to see this window again, go here and untick Show a warning when joining games with beta options
Cireon wrote:
I was wondering whether Cireon or Matty could comment on these: is the expectation that the lag and other laggy behaviour will eventually be conquered and eradicated? Or is some of this behaviour a side effect of the backend improvements? Or do we simply not know yet?
The lag of this evening in particular (I saw you complain in the live chat) had to do with another faulty game. When a game gets stuck and the timer hits zero, the browser tries its hardest to refresh, and because people get annoyed by the lag, they start refreshing, opening additional tabs, which makes the server completely overloaded and in today's case, it even caused a fatal failure.

The website runs very fluent for me, but at peek time hours the website gets slow. True. This was also the case before the new website was up. We can optimise the server more and more, but this can only be fixed in one way: throw more resources at it. The problem is, right now that is unaffordable for this website.

In theory there are a couple of slowdowns because of additional built-in securities, but these have been profiled and are negligible.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
TheMachiavelli wrote:
Thanks for the reply Cireon - I actually wrote this before the site threw a wobbly earlier. Server collapses excluded (these are an anomaly, I think we all realise that), I personally haven't been finding the website running fluently (better at quieter times, but not anywhere near as fast as it used to be).
Matty wrote:
Yeah, big outages like that are being fixed. The problem is that games started before the fix can still cause problems and are extremely hard to detect on beforehand. So that's where the big occasional lag comes from.

Over the time we will also make games faster overall, but that will be an ongoing process and it'll take a while.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
TheMachiavelli wrote:
Minor bug: I hear the sound of turn ending when it isn't. It's happened to me in these two scenarios:

1) After I've left a game I created. The game has 0 players, and so goes dead. After a while I hear that sound. I *think* this always happens.

2) In the middle of a turn. This only happens sometimes.
sweetpuppy wrote:
hi my probleme is went i want smaller or bigger the map only the cercle appaer in blck screen thank
TheMachiavelli wrote:
Weird bug: I'm trying to send Ramses II a PM and I'm told he doesn't exist. When he very clearly does. I let the system get his name rather than typing it manually. When that didn't work, I went to his page and clicked on send a message. That didn't work either. Very odd. I checked he hadn't left the site and he hasn't. Not sure what's wrong.
The_Bishop wrote:
Names with space cause that problem from what I know.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
SpamFree wrote:
I'm disappointed that I can no longer send messages to myself:C

I would use this as a Draft while composing messages. Yet another dis-improvement:C

BTW typing this is delayed as well BTW.

Matty wrote:
TheMachiavelli
Minor bug: I hear the sound of turn ending when it isn't. (...)
I created an issue for it in our repo, but it's not my code so I can't anything about it now.

TheMachiavelli
Weird bug: I'm trying to send Ramses II a PM and I'm told he doesn't exist. When he very clearly does. I let the system get his name rather than typing it manually. When that didn't work, I went to his page and clicked on send a message. That didn't work either. Very odd. I checked he hadn't left the site and he hasn't. Not sure what's wrong.
The_Bishop
Names with space cause that problem from what I know.
Yes - it's because of the space in his name. It will be fixed soon (I really hope this weekend, maaybe even earlier).

sweetpuppy
hi my probleme is went i want smaller or bigger the map only the cercle appaer in blck screen thank
Does this happen for all maps? Did you try to refresh your cache?

SpamFree
- If you want to test the BB-code or see how the message looks before you send it: there is a preview button.
- If you just want to save your typed text for later: why not save it in a text file on your desktop?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
SpamFree wrote:
Matty

SpamFree
- If you want to test the BB-code or see how the message looks before you send it: there is a preview button.
- If you just want to save your typed text for later: why not save it in a text file on your desktop?

I don't like to clutter my poor old PC. It barely chugs along as it is. (Also, i might lose the file:blush: )

Preview doesn't allow expansion of spoilers either:(

real77 wrote:
same here. chat disappears.

also, no notifications of someone chatting in team or game chat, which makes things tricky having to constantly click back and forth in case someone is chatting
supiachao
Game chat.

If you refresh a game page, the game chat is automatically showing the earliest chat instead of the latest chat like it used to.
real77 wrote:
no notification of chats in a game

small map size no longer works.

both of these mean extra clicking and scrolling, slowing down the game.

also, can't create a password game sometimes, even when i haven't started another one.
Matty wrote:
@real77: have you tried to refresh your cache?. (in the game page) - the smaller map size should work.

Notifications for the chats (a highlight/outline for the tab) will come eventually, but it'll take a while. Not sure what's with the passwords. Maybe you can't create a new one if you joined someone else's password game, not sure what the policy is on that.