Middle-earth knock off
  • 182 posts
  • Page 9 of 13
Cireon wrote:
The text of the Gap of Rohan looks a bit weird. But yes, I am interested to see what someone with Photoshop can make from this.

(also, how will this map be called now?)

Finally, the map is geographically not completely correct, especially around the Gap of Rohan. I do not suggest changing it, but the names there are a bit weird. The Gap of Rohan is the actual gap between the two mountains, while in your thing it is more "around the corner".

I guess that this all originates from you taking the general shape and then making up the territory (names) yourself against the copyright, but now you are actually going for a semi-realistic map. If you still want to keep close to how the "reality" is, some name changes of territories might be needed.

(Green)
Gap of Rohan -> Fangorn
Helms Deep -> Gap of Rohan (tricky one)
Edoras -> in principle correct, could also be called Westfold or even more correctly West Emnet
Eregron -> Eregion (typo?)
Enedwaith -> could be called Isengard instead, freeing up Enedwaith as region name

(Yellow) - Ered Luin or Blue Mountains
Lune Valley -> Ered Luin or Blue Mountains (Ered Luin means Blue Mountains); note that the mountains next to Harlindon are also called the same.
Evendium Hills -> Hills of Evendium (or Emyn Uial) or Grey Havens

(Orange)
NB: You can for this region also keep what you have, because it is geographically very different
Dead Marshes -> Anórien
The Wold -> could be called East Emnet if you called Edoras West Emnet

(Brown) - Mirkwood
Adun Valley -> Andion Valley (typo?)
Eastern Mirkwood -> East Mirkwoord (to make it consistent with "North" and "South";)

(Dark Green) - Rhûn
Esqaroth -> Esgaroth (typo?)
North/South Rhun -> North/South Rhûn

(Red) -
Riverdale -> Rivendel
Borderlands -> Arthedain
Old Forest -> Bree or Chetwood
Bucklands -> Old Forest

Give I am not an expert on Middle-Earth literature this might also not be optimal, but this is what I could make from comparing your map with other maps of Middle-Earth. It is hard to fit in names as some areas are really messed up, so if you want to keep it like this that is also fine (though maybe you'd want to fix the typo's). The regions probably also need names. If I had a good idea, I put them behind the colours in the list above.

Anyhow, this map has become great already :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Some quick remarks: The shoreline is really black, maybe a bit too black, wheres the shore overall is still foggy.

It's really unclear whether or not the brown lands can attack udun.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
Yep..still working on it.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5275/kr6p.jpg
Spoiler (click to show)
I know the text needs work.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Cireon wrote:
Isengard lies on the other side of the mountains ^^
Also there is something weird in North Rhûn.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Im not sure what was wrong with the names Fangorn and Edoras, they are pretty accurate.

The wold really should be part of the Rohan region, but that would split up the Rhovanion region. But maybe Lorien, Moria and the Gladden fields could become a seperate region (if you make it yellow it should be called Lorien). That would result in two small regions, instead of one big one. I guess the gameplay will be better too.

Maybe eregion could be part of that little region too (in that case it could also be called after Moria, naming the territoria Moria to Drimrill dale.

Not sure how much work that would be though, if you have to throw around everything you should leave it like it is.

Oh, and I like the shoreline I think :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
Is it possible to split blue into two mini regions? Eregion and Moria in one and Lorien and Gladden Feilds in the other? I just don't like Lorien as blue. I think that side should be golden/yellow.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Thorpe wrote:
Lorion was the Queen of the Elves or the elves' "Keeper of Middle-Earth" was in charge of Lorion...so why yellow?
elysium5 wrote:
I just picture 'Laurelindórenan, Valley of Singing Gold'
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
Lorien is famous for its silver barked trees that are never bare, but bear golden leaves that don't drop until the next leaves come - causing the ground to be golden.

Lorien is often called the golden wood.

Apart from that blue doesn't really fit on this map.
elysium5 wrote:
Golden on one side, greyish on the other? For the two mini regions, I mean.
Thorpe wrote:
Well other than that you like the placements for the region?

What would the bonuses be now.

Do we keep this..other than the color?
elysium5 wrote:
Or keep the same region and fade it from gold to gray west to east if you don't want to split it in two.
Thorpe wrote:
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4331/zw7a.jpg
Spoiler (click to show)
Well?

Isengard lies on the other side of the mountains ^^

Not a true statement...it lies tucked into the mountain at the mouth of the river. The mountains are surounding the fortress.
The Ents came from Fangorn.
It could have been on either sid e of the mountain, some have it on the west and most have it to the east. wiki

As for the rest of the names...just like in real life they changed...depends on what year of Middle-Earth you take them from...for us ...close but not perfect...I can not make them 100% right...sorry

They have a book out called the History of Middle-Earth...you should see some of the maps in it.