Middle-earth knock off
  • 182 posts
  • Page 2 of 13
Thorpe wrote:
We can not have Middle Earth and you know that, so we have Acchor!
With two suns why not? Alien landscapes? Yes there is two layers on the lines...that is what happened. Fixed.
 Will fix the names and circles.
Fixing the Texture in the bottom half of map.

I learned this in Middle Oregon, just a FYI.

This map has been changed more than 33% so we will have no problems, as per the copyright law.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Cireon wrote:
One sun is enough I think.

I think there should be more difference between the sea and the territories.

I think region names are not very well readable. I like what you tried to do though.

I don't like the black borders of the rivers. It also looks like they need some anti-aliasing.

You are really my hero by doing this map!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Thorpe wrote:
It is about time I am somebody s hero! 

Am I blind? I see only one sun. Do you really see two?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Cireon wrote:
The one in the bottom of the sea part? I think they are called compass roses for real.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Thorpe wrote:
Oh! They are compass roses...lol
Cireon wrote:
The map is a bit small I think. As in, not 1024 pixels wide?

I like the map, though I think the mountains stand out a bit too much. I also think the territory lines should get some anti-aliasing, they look really blocky compared to the mountains.

I am a great fan of how your ocean looks though!
Matty wrote:
Yea difficult to say something about this map, but from a distance it looks nice :P
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
I thought I got those lines...
But truth be known My eyes are getting bad and I really can not tell. But will look at them again and if I can not see it I might have to ask for some help on them...Vexer let me know will you?
Vexer wrote:
the lines are my least favorite thing to do.

I actually have not been reading this thread because I have been busy with other maps. I was doing san francisco, then new york, next Korea - Japan, then I will look at this one and then brazil.

But I need you to re-upload the image. Imageshack resized it making it too small. I can't comment on it when it's too small. We really need a new image service. imageshack is all ads. Can someone recommend an easy to use service that provides direct links and doesn't resize by default?

But I can see from the small version that the mountains do stand out a bit much.

I find it odd that there has been so few comments on such a great map. Perhaps because the Title is awful. Acchor, sounds like acorn.

According to wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth
the term Middle-earth was not invented by Tolkien so we can probably get away with using it. But i do know that it would be confusing because people would expect a LOTR map. Instead we could use the Old English version Middengeard which has a literal translation of middle enclosure but is commonly translated as middle earth. This word is where he got it from.
Thorpe wrote:
will do and change the name. Can you change the "Topic" name? Middengeard....Middle earth
Leedog wrote:
Posted this on the "map suggestion" thread and thought it might be appropriate here too:

Concerning Lord of the Rings:

It appears this guy owns the rights to the names/locations concerning Lord of the Rings, and doesn't seem to allow people to use them.

http://www.zaentz.com/files/contact.html

Recently, his company sued a English tavern over the rights to use the character names:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/03/14/54267-hobbit-pub-accused-of-rights-infringement/

Also recently, a Russian author wrote a book from the "evil" side of the war:

"A newly translated Russian novel retells Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" from the perspective of the bad guys"

http://www.salon.com/2011/02/15/last_ringbearer/singleton/

Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Although the new translation’s status as a potential infringement of the Tolkien copyright remains ambiguous, it may be less vulnerable to legal action since no one is seeking to profit from it."

I'm no lawyer, but it appears based on what the copyright owner did with the tavern, they would just ask D12 to take the map off the website since the map's likeness was not used for profit... that's if they ever found out in the first place?

But of course, might not be worth the trouble to begin with.
Cireon wrote:
Image service: Tinypic
Thorpe wrote: