Middle-earth knock off
  • 182 posts
  • Page 6 of 13
Thorpe wrote:
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2443/wmjz.jpg
Spoiler (click to show)

Now what green mountain?

Ok...how all this?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
The top right green mountain from Eregron looks like it splits the mostly-red-mountain-range in two, which is a bit weird.
That mountain would be better of red.

Also another mountain on Eregron is reeeeeally big, maybe a bit smaller, as it's shadow suggests.

Apart from those two they look really good!

Not sure why I (or others) didn't say so before, but the colour of the rhun region, especially in combination with its texture, looks really dirty. I'd say make it either green or yellow, but don't try both (could dark blue look good?????)

Oh, haha, you forgot some of the lines (or the line layer is hidden) on the mountains in the south east corner.

Errm, lines around south-mirkwood look good, but are they thinner than other lines? (Same for south southlands and west moria, maybe others too?)

And yeah, your shoreline is really thin sometimes.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Matty wrote:
Looks good with green, I was alraedy afraid blue wasnt going to work. Nice thing you did with the rivers, but they look weird on the minimap.

I am however not sure on the overall look of the map. Not sure why I say it now, and not before. Maybe it's because my laptopscreen is darker than usual right now (everything looks dark).
I think it's time we hear something from Fendi and Vexer, maybe Holt, and maybe leedog or something.

I can see alot of small things that need fixing (like thickness and pixelatedness of lines, or the bottom most mountain in fangorn), but how is everyone on the overall look? Or is it just me right now (quite possible).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Cireon wrote:
I have abstained from the discussion a bit lately because I share your thoughts, Matty. I had the idea you liked the look of the map so I just didn't bother: you can't like all maps in the end.

I think while the map itself is good, it still feels like a very rough version. The letters are not really smooth, the rivers look okay-ish and the background of the sea looks low-resolution.

HOWEVER, I do like the effect you did with the sea (the lines) and I am a huge supporter of you trying to give that Middle-Earth feeling to the map. I just think the map is far from done yet. The colours need work, the rivers need work, the text needs work.

Currently, I am not like all "wow" on this map. In general I prefer more lighter coloured maps (Caribbean, Europe), but that would not fit. I think it is hard to make a dark map work out really well.

I think Matty is right on one thing: it is about time to hear from Vexer, Fendi, or some other "map veteran". To be honest I have been waiting to see one of them respond to this thread and I was a but anxious about you making all these changes without waiting for them to give feedback.

So yeah, I hope you are not too angry at me now, Thorpe. I think you already did a great job, but I think you need to take a step back right now and wait for some more people to look at this map. Personally, I think you did a great job on the mountains in the last couple of iterations and you have done pretty well taking the feedback from the community and putting it in your map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Thorpe wrote:
LOL...been doing this map making for awhile now and I do not get angry...(Jerk)hehee...but realy need feed back on all my maps, what ever the outcome.  I get mad at myself not the comments on it.

As for the mini map and text...that is one weak spot on paint.Net for me...I thought I read what Vexer said on how to do it with paint.Net and have not done it yet.
My main thing was to get those mountains!

As for the feedback ...I agree on what they see...so why would I not change it?

The Final touches should be done with Photo-shop....but that program costs money...look what happened to the Brazilian map, after Vexer got done with it! POP!

Vexer and Fendi will not comment till the "community" is done tearing it apart.  They have other things that they do.

Keep the comments coming.

Look at when I started the Brazil map and the date said 2012!!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
urgul wrote:
yeperoo, maps take a while. if you really want me to really tear at it, im not gonna hesitate.
the mountain below The Shire looks like it was hand drawn.
a couple of the mountains above where that stray green mountain once was looks wierd.
i cant comment on the gameplay, it seems good (especially with fog) and otherwise i really cant see anything thats bad. (but i do agree with matty about the rivers on the mini map. they looks weird. someone with photoshop may have to fix that.)
Thorpe wrote:
LOL...The whole map is hand drawn!
thx
I my redo this map...I do not like some things on it.
Vexer wrote:
I like the overall look of the map. The lines on the mountains are a bit too smooth now...to the point of blurriness. The lines for the rivers need to be redone. They are quite pixelated.

The mini map border has issues. Zoom in to see it.

There are various quality problems all over the map. Mostly to do with the texture layers. They look too smooth. This usually happens when you find a texture that is too small for the size of your map and you stretch it to make it fit. You can try sharpening those layers. There's only one option for sharpening in paint.net but gimp has several.
Thorpe wrote:
The texture was toned down and I click on the wrong layer for the rivers...I am doing something different with the layers now and will redo the mountains. I will keep the ones you see now...but I want to try making all the mountains the same color as the first map...let me know what you think after I bring up the texture of the sea and the land. The map will be brighter also...so wait on the comment till then.

Thx Vexer for weighing in though.
Thorpe wrote:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2724/cubk.jpg
Spoiler (click to show)
What do you guys think?
urgul wrote:
oh no what happened?! did u spill ink all over yr paper?!?! dont just change the colors and excppect to be done with it@
Matty wrote:
Part of me likes the new colours, part of me thinks it radiates light too much.

Could you try gettign a different texture, or modify the current? This one changes the colour sometimes. It's now better visible than it was, but for example in the north of the red region (Eastern Angmar) the texture makes it look yellow, which is a bit weird.
Matty is online.