• 235 posts
  • Page 5 of 16
Thorpe wrote:
lol...this was done for another site...but they had no problem with it and is being play a lot. I ...thought it would be fun for this one with texture and look completely different, so it is no problem if it does not work for this site.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
I think Vexer is right. Brazil is not very suitable for a game-map. If you use rivers to create impassables, where the Amazon is? The greatest river on the earth.
For me it is not a problem to see that, but probably a Brazil man would say "this is not my country"
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Vexer wrote:
I looked at the map from that other site and the reason why they have no problem with it is because they are NOT using rivers. they call it simply and impassable border and it's green like an impassable forest though they don't label it as such.

But Thorpe, we never could have used this map anyway if the game play is a copy of theirs. Their impassables choices are unique to them. We never would have come up with that on our own, therefore they have copyright on it. We can have the same territories if they are based on real boundaries but we can't copy their made up impassables. If their impassables were rivers and mountains that were based on real rivers and mountains then we could copy it. But because they used completely made up and non obvious impassables they have a copyright on those impassables.

I don't understand why you thought it was a good idea to copy another site's map? Imagine what players from that site would say if they came over here and saw the same map.

Our Great Britain map was based on theirs but I didn't know that until after it was released. But we did remove one of the impassables and added a region so that it is not the same map, in fact it's much better.

You can save this map by using different impassable and regions. Or you can use this style for another map.
Thorpe wrote:
not the same map and I worked with the map maker on that one so I have part on the say. But you are right not a Good Idea to copy ...but I did not and if I use something, I get permission first any how..duh.

Do not worry I will change it more...but later.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
-NoXoN- wrote:
@Thorpe It's Conquer Club that holds the copyright and not the artist. If you worked with same artist then they wouldn't dare sue for infringement, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Thorpe wrote:
yes I know...but thx...plus a F.Y.I...they have no leg to stand on if you change 33% on and copyright law. It is said that it is not the same thing...many case laws on this issue, look it up.
Thorpe wrote:
yes I know...but thx...plus a F.Y.I...they have no leg to stand on if you change 33% on anything and that is not copying anything and that is the law...many case laws on this issue, look it up.

This map is not even to the one we did.
Vexer wrote:
Thorpe, I don't understand, your map is identical to this CC map that was made in 2006 and updated in 2009. How could you have worked with the map maker?

http://maps.conquerclub.com/Brazil.L.jpg
Glanru wrote:
§ 102 . Subject matter of copyright: In general

(b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.

You can copyright a poem: "The rat ate a cat, and the bone chewed on the dog." But, you can't copyright the idea or concept of being playfully backwards. Thus someone else could create a poem without infringing on your copyright, though obviously using your idea: "The water went up the falls, and the ocean is above the sky."

Impassables are easily classified as an idea, concept, and/or principle. They can not be copyrighted in general. Only the visual portion of the image regarding the impassables can be copyrighted; similiar to the exact words of the poem examples. However, it is extremely bad form to make an exact copy of an idea, and it would look bad to players from that site to see an exact copy here.
-NoXoN- wrote:
 Go on with this map Thorpe, You just need to change borders, impassables and background i think you can make them better.

@Bishop Some parts are copied but that's not too bad.
The_Bishop wrote:
The first version proposed by Thorpe was exactly the same of the map from that site.
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4127/brazil1a.jpg
http://maps.conquerclub.com/Brazil.S.jpg

There is no problem on the copyright if you change the grafic arrangement but personally I do not want maps from other sites. It's extremely bad.

Then this map doesn't look very good in representation. Barriers are fictional, ok. I thought at least the regions were real but they are not. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Take a look on the real states and regions of Brazil pls
http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/brazil_regions.png
I think it would be better to use the real regions
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
MAPS wrote:
I like it Thorpe, I just have a couple of suggestions:
1- COLOMBIA does not have a U. It should be COLOMBIA not COLUMBIA. It is a very common mistake. Google it.
2- Brazil is written with a Z only in english. Maybe you should consider naming it BRASIL and not BRAZIL.