• 235 posts
  • Page 3 of 16
Fendi wrote:
After giving it some thought I decided to say what I really think (Dont worry, I will make it nice and short)

This map has some aspects that are nice such as the overall feel but there are also several others that make this map hard to look at. I know I am late with this comment but I do hope you take some of the things I have to say into consideration:

- The background texture is nice but blurry especially where it is wrinkly. It also looks like fabric and not paper so maybe you can add another layer of a rougher fabric-texture, like sack texture, on top and reduce the opacity just to balance things out. Its up to you.

- The colour of the background is too tanned and burned. Its also dark but have a certain glow to it. Makes it hard to actually look at the map since it also draws a lot of attention. I would suggest making the background a tad more beige.

- Im not sure about the dark glow around the outlines, its nice but its also making the land look as if its hovering. Personally I think it works on the mini-map since that map is well..mini, but I am not entirely sold when it comes to the land itself.

- I dont think the texture on the land is good. (sorry, in fact I am not a big fan of the whole land, I'll explain why.) The texture is blurry, smudged and too dark in some areas, making the land look stained, ugly and dirty. In short, not appealing at all. I think having dark spots is a nice thought especially when your goal is to have a map that looks a bit washed out, well used and old but the dark spots that you have are too dark. There is also a lot going on with the land, a simple mind cant keep up, its also hurting my eyes. And remember, I am Old! (according to you =) )

- I dont really know what to say about the colour scheme..All the colours look washed out (in a bad way) , dull and ugly. Im sure they would look a little better without the texture but right now they are not working at all. There are other colours that look more appealing but still have that 'old' feeling to them, I just think you have to play some more. Also I can see some of the region colours have been smudged at the borders. Thats not good since some of those colours are showing at the other side of the borders.

- The rivers look boring. There is no texture, making them look flat. They also look awkward (?) and too broad. Taking up more space than they need.

- The font is nice but maybe the glow around the text is too bright?

- Mini-map looks good and as I mentioned earlier, the dark glow around it is a nice touch. However I dont like the glow around the region names and their bonuses. I think it would look much better without it.

- The title is nice but too blurry.

I think thats about it.. =)
Thorpe wrote:
This was not short! And it was not nice!

What you are saying that you do not like anything? Do not hold back what you really feel...LOL

I did ask for your comments...but I take it back!

Vexer is right! I love the pain!!!! hehehe.

But really I was feeling the same way Fendi! I was going to redo the map cause I just did not like the out come...but thought my old eyes might have been wrong so I shared it,
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
Honestly I like it. I don't know exactly what Fendi said, that's advanced English for me... too long to translate! I like the style and the colors except the North-western region, a little too much purple.

The only problem for my eye are those snaky lakes. I think it would be better to use the Africa-1890 style. You know, not a sharp outline but a shading. You can also reduce them in size, for example the North-eastern one, you can end it at its fork; same for the Southern one.

It would be great for me to change the greatest lake in an impassable forest. I don't know if you can do that.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
I think Fendi just said what I have been thinking since the beginning of the map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
marcoxa wrote:
you know what i like about this update? it looks like a different style than most of the maps we have. we need more like that
Thorpe wrote:
I do try to make them different...but is it good?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
marcoxa wrote:
yes. texture is good. very crisp. i think the entire map could use a couple bumps up for the brightness level but besides that the colors look spot on
Fendi wrote:
Wow, Huge improvement! It looks great.

The colour scheme nice and clean, yet still have that 'old map' feeling. The texture is simple and fits with the overall map.
I think I have to disagree with marcoxa about brightening it up. It looks good the way it is now especially if you are going for the old map feeling since most old maps are a bit washed out. If you want to brighten something up then I would go only for the land, but only a tad.

Now Im going to be picky and annoying..

- The colour and the texture of the background is very nice but do you know the resolution of the one you have used? Because the edges look jagged.

- I like your rivers now that theres some texture on them but they are still a bit wide.
Maybe I will like them more when Ive got used to them, who knows..

- The territory labels are perhaps a bit too sharp? They look a bit jagged here and there.

- The texture on the mini-map looks blurry, actually..the whole mini-map looks a bit blurry. And some of the region names are a bit hard to read since some of the letters are too thin. 

- There are some errant pixels on the edges of the N and arrow.

- There is something about the title that bugs me. Its standing out...Maybe if you made it the same colour as the N...

Overall, I think the changes you made really helped. The map looks very good. Nicely done.
Matty wrote:
I like this one, more than the other version.
That one was really filthy, and this one is alot cleaner.
Maybe even a bit too clean, cause you lost a bit of the feeling that one had.

It looks great, dont misunderstand me, but its really different, more like one of pntbttrs maps.

For the rest I think I agree with Fendi :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
No! Not Pntbttr map!!!!

Boy do you like to kick me when Fendi put me down Matty!
Vexer wrote:
I haven't read any of this thread, i clicked on this thread on accident. I was saving it for after Korea - japan is done. So this may have been said before.. None of your rivers flow to the ocean. Here are some common river problems on maps:

Rivers that finish in a lake rather than on the sea, rivers that flow uphill, rivers that divide rather than join, rivers that end nowhere

There are some instances where rivers don't flow to an ocean.. from the cartographers guild:

Regarding rivers that either vanish or finish in lakes; both do indeed occur here on earth. A fairly large number of rivers empty into places like Lake Balkhash, the Caspian Sea, and others and there the water remains. These drainage areas are called endorheic basins. A lot of Central Asia is like this apparently, as are parts of Africa, Australia, and the Americas. And concerning rivers just ending in the middle of nowhere, there's always the example of the Okavango Delta which ends in an inland delta in the Kalahari desert rather than draining into a lake or a the ocean.

But the size of a river that would count as an impassable on one of our maps would most definitely flow to the ocean. You cannot have rivers on a map that only show pieces of the river. You can show only the part of the river that connects to the ocean but you cannot show the part in the middle or beginning by itself.
Thorpe wrote:
 I just copied the outline from a map and I guess they are wrong so I will fix it.
Matty wrote:
I really like this version better than the other one, its a great improbement.
The style is so much cleaner this way.
But apart from that being a good thing, it also is a loss in some other way.

Im not saying this map is exactly like pntbttrs map, but just that the difference between it is less.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria