aka New Map...No Name
  • 226 posts
  • Page 3 of 16
Vexer wrote:
The ocean edge was blurred too much. If it can't be blurred right then it's better to have it sharp like before. Instead of a gaussian blur, you could try a motion blur on the lowest settings. Or use a resizing algorithm to blow it up and then shrink it back down.

Nice job with the mountains. You have true artistic ability. Congratulations Thorpe, you are now our mountains expert. I'm sure you'll be getting requests for help with mountains in the future.

One problem I see is that the mountains are sharp, which is perfect, but the land texture is blurry so they don't blend together very well. Gimp has a lot of sharpen options. you might be able to get the land sharp enough to match the mountains and this would also mean that you could use your original edge between the see and land. There needs to be consistency throughout the map. All sharp or all soft. All sharp is better (as long as it's anti-aliased). And what you have right now is not even soft, it is blurry. This is what happens when you use blur filters to make things anti-aliased. The very best way to anti-alias something is to make the original 4 times bigger than it needs to be and the resize it.

I just noticed that none of your text in the sea is anti-aliased. What program are you using to create that text? Does that program not have an option for anti-aliased text? You can do your own anti-aliasing by making the ocean text 4 times bigger and then resize it. I am not talking about resizing it twice, once to make it bigger and once to get it back to the original size. I am talking about choosing a font size that is 4 times bigger so that the original starts out being 4 times bigger and then resize it to the appropriate size using gimp or paint.net.

This is actually how I made my lines on the oregon cities map. I made the whole outline 4 times bigger with no anti-aliasing at all and then when i resized it the lines were smooth and sharp and anti-aliased with no blurriness.

The compass is also not anti-aliased. It looks like the compass i gave the link to (http://www.clker.com/clipart-map-compass.html) but somehow is no longer anti-aliased. What program did you resize it in?
Both gimp and paint.net have options for choosing a resizing algorithm. If the result doesn't look anti-aliased with one algorithm then try another.

I think the impassables legend would look better as a square and not a circle. then you wouldn't have to worry about it being pixelated. But it still does need a black border.

The border around the whole map is not anti-aliased and frankly it is awful and needs to be replaced. It match the first version better but not this version.
Thorpe wrote:
I will take the mountains out so I don't Have to get requests...hehehe

Vexer thank-you for sharing how you did the lines! What a great help that will be!...That is if it works the way you say. If it does what a time saver!

Ok I will redo the blurriness but just wanted to see your input on the mountains mostly...

Now the mountains are right I can look closer at the map and get it right with the over all look...this has been one of my hardest maps cause I like to do it right the first time ..or close, and but I keep learning new things how to do them and it has been playing with my "Old Mind"!
Vexer Thank=you again that was a real great comment, Tuff but still nice and informed why...I might start liking you better...LOL

Where is Fendi, Votazap, and some other players comments...I do like their comments...makes me do better.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
That is one way of saying you do not like it!
Pntbttr wrote:
I think it is amazing and that it is finished except for the minimap around the votazap region there are big white puffy things instead of rivers...
Thorpe wrote:
Dang forgot to redo that !!! Need to have region bonuses and caps.
Thorpe wrote:
LOL dang forgot that!...all of the mini-map
Vexer wrote:
need fendi's text back on the mini map too

Looks much better without the border. Text in ocean is now anti-aliased but the compass still is not.

look very closely all around your mountains. there are issues.

I'm not a fan of the diagonal connection lines that go around the world. Can they be straightened? Would it change game play too much to change which territories connect so that the connection lines can be more straight? They really do look odd.

And it's time this map got a name. Are we going with honor map? I do have a couple other ideas to throw out there.
Player Appreciation Map
Player Recognition Map

Matty wrote:
You could name the map Dominatin 13 (or XVIII), since there are 13 continents to conqueror.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
[image]

I thought I would post it this way for everybody to see.

Here is the other link
[IMG]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2046/honormap1a1gimp.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

I lighten up the ocean ..can but it back or do other things with it, I will let Vexer have his choice...Overlay...negitive...addition...or normal...the same layer with different layer settings look all good.

Connection lines where changed...Vexer maybe you can do them?

The mountains fixed...it was the forest that caused the lines...for-got to blend.

Mini-Map is changed...Duh!

Compass fixed...Compass could have a small outline to it also.

I see a black pixel now..will fix it...by efhbballnut.

What else?
Vexer wrote:
no other comments about a name for this map?

I thought it looked better before.

There still is another problem around the mountains. The line between alejandroz and tehranimobile does not extend all the way to the mountains. same with lolural and killrick. BTW tehranimobile is spelled wrong.

I really don't think the white ocean surf looks good or realistic. I'd like to see the map without it.
Thorpe wrote:
[image]

Well?