Centered on China
  • 169 posts
  • Page 3 of 12
Votazap wrote:
Sorry i dont like the white wording at all,it needs to be bigger and brighter
Pntbttr wrote:
Thanks -NoXoN- and votazap...I will fix those spelling errors and

LizoLB is really good at mountains (she did the ones in the new US map)...and if those mountains in that picture than -NoXoN-'s really good at it too...-NoXoN- would you try? I'll try doing some mountains...I've never tried before...
Thorpe wrote:
there is some add-ons for paint-net that you can get, one is a finger blur that will blend the mountains into your land and others that you can use ...go look ...F.Y.I. and you can also get "GIMP", which is like "photo-shop" and it's free! 
I just found these things so let me know what you think or how they work.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
i also recommend you install GIMP. Now that you got the basics down learning GIMP should be easier. You can do a lot more with GIMP.
Thorpe wrote:
In paint.net you have alot of add-ons! and I will tell you the interface is better. The text I can do in another program and just add it...as in notepad and now I can edit my text....the only thing is mountains...or is something I'm missing that I can't do?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Pntbttr wrote:
I'll look into GIMP...I'll see if I can do anything with it...

@Thorpe I already have the finger blur

thanks for suggestions
Vexer wrote:
colors are much better but the texture isn't right. it's too dark especially on xinjiang, mongolia, inner Mongolia and e Kazakhstan.

The text and lines look blurry. the lines are too thick. for the text try duplicating the white layer.

the mini map is too big. needs some space around it to look right. The text size for the mini map doesn't need to be more than a size bigger than the text for the territories. The smallest region on the mini map only needs to be slightly bigger than the label.

more about the texture, and this applies to the texture on all your maps.. ever heard the phrase 'less is more'? I think you have gone overboard on all your maps with texture.

There's hardly any texture on the new world map and yet it looks great. It's the shading that makes it work. Here's how I did it by the way:

Make a separate shading layer for each territory one at a time by first generating a layer of black and white clouds with scale: 400, roughness: .25 change the layer to overlay, then use the move tool to move the whole layer around until the shading is right on the territory you are working on. then go to the outline layer and select the territory with the wand. invert selection, then click on the shading layer and hit delete. Now you have custom shading for that territory instead of just making one shading layer for the whole map and just hoping each territory comes out right. You could also do this region by region instead of territory by territory.

Or you could do the shading like you did on south africa. which was also custom for each territory.
Glanru wrote:
Have you considered not having a North Thailand, Laos and Vietnam? If you remove the North in the name, the territory can represent the entire country, even the portion off map, like parts of Russia.
Holt wrote:
I think it would be interesting if you could attack out from behind the Great Wall but would not be able to attack into the countries behind it. I know it's a far stretch but it would give the wall more use than just being able to keep people out.
Pntbttr wrote:
Textures...I'm working on the textures Vexer...Your right I over do my textures...I need to work on that...I still haven't gotten organized, partly because I feel rushed on time...

Text...I duplicated the white part of the text and it looks much better...much clearer

Minimap...I wasn't sure if I should make it smaller or not...I felt like there wasn't enough room to place the bonuses but I guess there is...I will also make the numbers smaller...

Shading...I did do what I did on the SA map but this time I did it a little more mixed...I actually don't like how it turned out so I'll try again...

Names of the countries...read above...If you don't like the way it is than take it up with Thaithai, he said he was fine with it...You are fine with it thaithai, right?

Wall Attacks...I have thought about it actually...Where would you guys put the one-way attacks? Maybe from Shaanxi or Shanxi to Inner Mongolia? What about from Hebei...Hebei could attack either Liaoning or Inner Mongolia...I think I will make the One-Way-Wall attacks from Shaanxi to Inner Mongolia and from Hebei to Liaoning
Sould I try a gate in the wall or should I do an arrow over the all or should I do an arrow going through the gate? Any other ideas?

GIMP...I am having trouble downloading it, I think it might be because of where I am trying to download it...can somebody post a link to where they downloaded it?

Mountains are HARD! The wall was pretty easy, I just tried making different shades of grey and different sized lines to get a little perspective...like the walls in the house map...but the mountains are complicated...
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make a mountain?

Holt wrote:
If it were me I would device a gate and make it to where the only wall attacks that can take place would be from Shaanxi and Shanxi.
Vexer wrote:
yeah, it so user unfriendly that it's hard to even figure out how to download and install it. try this link:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.6.12-i686-setup-2.exe?use_mirror=

I'm sure there are tutorials on mountains somewhere. try a search
Thorpe wrote:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map/page2

this is a great way to make mountains using GIMP...easy to follow and he has a print out for it also! I'm still going through it, but I must say wow! Will be sending you a different one using paint.net in a layer. If anybody else wants it the I can send it to them.

As for downloading GIMP I had no problems with it! Got the site from the forum in Paint.Net...But I can't remember where, sorry. 
Vexer wrote:
that works for mountains for a regular map or if the mountains are not impassable but I'm not sure it makes a clear enough division to be used as an impassable for a risk map.