Centered on China
  • 169 posts
  • Page 5 of 12
skate2death_420 wrote:
The mountains might be to much but i think that if they are there.. which they are. Then you should put them in. I would like mountains.
Vexer wrote:
putting mountains on a map just because they are there in real life is not a good enough reason. there has to be a strategic reason to have them otherwise you are just cluttering up the map.

There's plenty of mountains in the world but if you put them on the classic world map it would ruin the game play.
Thorpe wrote:
The reason there is no comment on rivers is that pntbttr has no map of the new update in his image file so ...can't comment on things you can not see.

And why would you want mountains?

I wish the wall looked more like a wall with texture on it...sorry man, but it looks like a line with dots. I think the gimp program has a texture with brick or stones..try that.

This map looks like close to all the other maps that pntbttr has done...I would like to see something different like his basketball map or like the stadium map or like NoXon's maps.

Maybe I'm being to picky, but I like seeing a different style from you.

Why do you think I have not got another map up yet..I am just too picky! I have redone my maps 5 or 6 times!

Again maybe I am just OLD!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
The link to the most recent version with the most up to date image is in post #59. But it doesn't seem to be working anymore. It was working when you first read the post which means that you read the post and didn't notice the link.

I'll put the image inline so it can't be missed this time.

adding some brick or rock texture to the wall is a good idea. You think you can play around with that pntbttr?

As far as the style goes, it is very similiar to South Africa but I think it's better. I am fine with it being similar but I do hope you (pntbttr) can put some more work into your other unfinished maps to make them more unique. Maybe follow thorpe's lead and spend some time on cartographersguild.com

[image]

This is what we need to know every time a new version is posted:

1. Is the new version better than the last version?
2. What specifically is better and was there anything that was made worse.
3. Is there anything that still needs work other than the things the map maker has already said he or she will continue to work on?

Please comment

Spoiler (click to show)
Pntbttr wrote:
I notied that it was similar to the SA map, I didn't do most of the texture on the SA map though...I will try to work on my other maps to make them more unique...

I did try making a texture on the wall before but in the last update I forgot to...I'll work on it...
Leedog wrote:
I previous suggested the mountains in the beginning and then later in the map process thinking it might make the map more realistic. Thought it was going to work well if China had original borders. Now I can see it really wouldn't add to gameplay since it wouldn't be a obstacle/impassible between 2 bonus areas.

So I agree with the others thinking mountains are not needed.

Butters has improved the Wall compared to the beginning and what I proposed... may need some work, not sure, but that is beyond my skill level at the moment and feel Butters should decide on further improvements that might still be made.

I also think the newer version is better due to the new texture, easy to see connection lines and mini-map. I'm thinking none of the new additions has made the map worse.

In my opinion, the map is done if not extremely close to being done.

As for map style, I know the website has only a few map makers, all have very good skills, but the more makers who know the process would provide more variety in style while still living up to quality expectations. In my opinion, if 1 or 2 people are making most of the maps (understanding it's a process that takes time that some people might not be able to invest), the style is bound to be similar.
Thorpe wrote:
The river needs to be wider by Sichaun and Yunnan or smaller cause it looks like they touch..it will cause game-play problems.

Should there be a connection from Hubei or Hunan? Seems like a long way around to move up to the other places and with this many territories might be to hard to do.

It does seem like this map is ready though..just fix the river if nothing else....nice map.

And thx Vexer for the post. It is the same map I looked at and I think I did not notice the difference in the river and connections the 1st,2nd,and third time but now I see it and yes it is better..good job!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
You're right thorpe, there needs to be a bridge between Hubei and Henan. Not just because it's a long way around but because that light blue region would otherwise be too easy to hold because if the player who owned it expanded to shaanzi then they would only have to defend two places.

Pntbttr, do you think you could try making a bridge that would fit with the style of the wall?

I personally think the river is clear enough. A river is impassable no matter how thick or thin unless there is a bridge. I don't think people will have a problem figuring it out.
Thorpe wrote:
Just wait and see...that is what I thought on the Falkland map!
-NoXoN- wrote:
Your best map Pntbttr.
River and wall are much better since vexer edited them.
Pntbttr wrote:
thx -NoXoN-...

...I'm stuck...could I have some examples/ideas for the bridge...that really helped on the wall...
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/3135/bridges.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

Here are some ideas for your brigdes and the wall
Pntbttr wrote:
I think impassibles and connections are the hardest part of making a map...I've tried once or twice but I haven't really spent much time on it yet...It is hard to make it look good...