Map submission
  • 105 posts
  • Page 1 of 7
Hoodlum wrote:
Has some interest in the map dabble.

Basically it's the world map inverted. The ocean becomes the land, no special game play. Mountains/ranges used for gameplay.
It's a very large map of 81 territories with 15 regions varying value probably from 1-4
Dimensions 1024 x 780 - no scroll
.Theme currently is fantasy, angels, demons, dragons, humans, etc.. I've added d12 user names (programmers/admins/owner) so far Oceans.
@aero my name will be on the bottom left ;)

Recently updated from the map dabble. Spell check..added Mountains for impassable clarification..
To do. redraw territory lines to less acute angles. Choose territory names.

Feedback required if any interest, for gameplay

numbered territories reference (click to show)
Adjacent territories (click to show)

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Just some small semi-random remarks.
- I doubt if 4myGod would liked to be called "my god", which has kind of exactly the opposite effect of what he tried to achieve with his name.
- My user name here is "Matty", I prefer that over my real name in this case - especially because ou use everyone's user name, rather then their real name (not sure what Ely thinks of losing his beautiful 5, but that's up to him I guess).
- I like the Crystal Sea name, that could very well be a real sea.
- Region names are a bit cheesy.
- Not sure if you want this to become a sort of realm of honoured players, but if you do I guess you should have all names be like that, and if you don't, maybe no names?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Some suggested game-play and intuitiveness edits.
The circles are where the territory line joints need to be less acute or adjusted positions.
The ovals are confusing mountain positions that need either removing, resizing or repositioning.
The Border lines seem a bit too different to other dividing lines, they look more natural / real when they follow terrain (even perceived terrain). Right now they are too smooth, which makes them look false. The dilemma is with a dashed line, it is difficult to make oscillating lines.

Some of the info is written on the map.
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/World-Inverted/WI-suggested-edits.jpg
Suggested Edits (click to show)

I missed an acute joint at 47, 48 & 49 intersection.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
feedback edit (click to show)

Place names currently using staff listed + map makers/contributers + dominators.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks for sorting out the territory joints and mountains. Don't the territories look more realistic now?
I meant for the Region Borders to be a bit more Terrain Following (imaginative), more randomly bending / oscillating in the same way as the territory dividers and mentioned that it won't work if they are dashed lines. If you preferred to keep them smooth then the dashed lines were fine, but I recommend solid lines with more randomness.

For names / labels, what about also using the tournament winners & runners up. Perhaps that can be a thing to strive for in the future too, becoming a dominator or winning a tournament and get your name immortalised on the World Inverted map?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Tournament winners future dominators,..yeah that's my thought, means it would continually need editing lol.

I do like the dashed line look i see in fantasy maps, i thought it might even be something that helps with colourblindness...(haven't tested colours), where they can differentiate a region easier. I'll meddle around some more with it.
Cireon wrote:
I really liked the dotted region lines :ninja:
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
Two versions of border lines - both attempted to be less smooth/straight.
After uploading the straight one, it looks a bit thick to me I like the dotted ones still......

lines (click to show)

dotted lines (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
Missing dotted line between cbt and Clarke :D And agree with Cireon on the dotted lines.

Psymon would like to be #43 :D because the only spot left in the light blue player region is #2 and I don't really fit there!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
fixups (click to show)

dotted line fix, made the islands more region distinguishable... name movement, team tournament winner names...
maybe anyone who's been a General?....only if they rank up :)
PsymonStark wrote:
By the way, know that cbt is very popular and stuff, but he's two terries, the one next to Spain and one next to Alaska...
aeronautic wrote:
You found a good compromise with the dashed lines, as I said they are fine for smoother borders, but smooth borders look false, however, you've managed to get a few kinks in them giving them a more natural look.

BTW, I was thinking the account names of tournament winners, not the team names, I think you might fill the map up some more with that except Death From Above, both guys are already on there.
The Generals (That Rank Up) is also a good idea. It's a shame Spartakus doesn't play here anymore, but nevertheless, I guess you could add any that weren't banned, locked etc.
AlbertEinstein wrote:
I like the idea of this map, but aren't some tournament winners missing?

For example, using a quick search the winner of this tournament, "darkdead", doesn't appear in the map.

https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/772/d12-fall-tournament-sign-up-here
Hoodlum wrote:
Decided to leave out team names. I reckon ranked up generals tho.

PsymonStark wrote:
Albert Einstein
I like the idea of this map, but aren't some tournament winners missing?

For example, using a quick search the winner of this tournament, "darkdead", doesn't appear in the map.

https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/772/d12-fall-tournament-sign-up-here
For example... very random choice, ain't it? ;)