Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 24 of 40
naathim wrote:
Always enjoyed the idea of this map. And the connectivity issue can be solved with some judicial editing of territories. You can basically set it up however you need.
aeronautic wrote:
How would it work if all the Pacific Ocean territories were connected?

I thought about same colour territories opposite each other, but they won't line up and would be really confusing so I made a demo of connection lines.
The colours alternate as in Tablature and where 2 territories connect to 1 territory opposite, the colours stay the same for less confusion.
This is just one of many connection solutions (trying to keep ports / posts / airports out for now).
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/World-Inverted/WI-connect1.jpg
Spoiler (click to show)
You can of course utilise this or any other method in any way you wish for best game-play. You could do away with 1 territory connection where 2 meet 1, making the region more defensible.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Another note would be that blue is a very, very misleading background color.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
Wolrd Inverted dabble (click to show)

Another play around with it. Dimensions changed to fit an inset down the bottom. 1024 x 780
15 regions, 81 territories

Mountains impassables. (sorry same ones :) ) for lesser connectivity, more able to defend a region.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
Looks very interesting Hood. This should be a popular 7p map.

I don't tend to comment on game-play much, as I never seem to have the time or enthusiasm to analyse it, so we'll have to wait for others to discuss this.

I see you have most of the owners, programmers and admins, but where is Hoodlum? You can't leave yourself off the map!

Graphically, I have very little to say, apart from what spoils Risk maps. Territory Divider Joints / Intersections. In one of the tutorials, I mention the angles. Try to avoid acute angles and stay as close to 90 degrees as possible. Less ( > ) and more ( T ) at the point of contact.
When the angles are acute, they look false and you end up with an overlaid leaves effect.

There's nothing wrong with the mountains being the same.
There will be a few places of confusion, i.e mountains right of Fendi Ocean, needs another small one to slot in behind on the coast, to ensure it's intuitive as an impassable. Also two small ones in the foreground on the coast of My God's Ocean (also the name needs an apostrophe I think).
Quite a few gaps particularly up the middle of the map, where they look passable in the Sin City area.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Why don't you make a Map Topic for this?
elysium5 wrote:
Down under should be Hoodland.

Edit: Guess I should post that in the other thread.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Hoodlum wrote:
Playing around with this atm. input it into my map editor, and i like the gameplay so far. feels like forever since I did a dabble.
Spoiler (click to show)
Matty wrote:
Looks allright, but there's A LOT of borders.
For example: the connection of 42 to 55, why is it there? It just makes the green regoin bad, that's all it does.
Or 13 to 5, the only thing it does is ensuring every single territory on the red region is a border, while it doesn't add any real connectivity, as you can go around both ways.
Or 52 to 5 (or 53 to 5), why?
And why is 38 connected to 55?

You get the point ;)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
The map is beautiful and has a lot of potential. I really like the style. But Matty is right. It's way over connected. We want connections that allow you to move across the map when taking out a player without having to go all the way around but not connections that make it harder to hold a region. Also, there is no reason for adjacent territories to both connect to the same territory via arrows. It makes the map too busy/messy.
Hoodlum wrote:
Thanks for feedback. map without connections, if anyone has interest or time to make suggestions. maybe ports?
Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
I had a little go at some connections, they give easy access across-map and make most regions defensible, except the Red 4 Region on the upper left of the map, which has all its territories as borders.
It may give food for thought...
There are 7 dead ends, so these can either be kept as they are to keep the borders and connections to a minimum or they can be opened up to increase connectivity to help with Capital positions.
Connection Suggestion 1 (click to show)
Matty wrote:
3 territories with 2 borders would be a bonus of two I guess. It's so for the white region, so why not for the left red region?
Same for the island group to the north.

I like crete with 1 border and a bonus of one.
Hoodlum wrote:
Update - Connections, values changed re: aero + matty. I did some extra research for place names Ancient Greece
Info: 56 territories, 11 regions.
Ancient Greece (click to show)
Cireon wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about using a Greek symbol font for the names, especially because some of them are actually not pronounced as you would expect, which makes some names look or sound awkward to somebody who knows the symbols (like me). For example "Ghania" in Crete would probably be pronounced "Cèania" [qɛɑnia]. Also some letters as they appear did not exist.

I like the map so far though, though I would maybe change Crete into a linear region with connections to 37 and 39 instead of two connections to 38.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card