Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 22 of 40
PsymonStark wrote:
And Baja California, please :D

Olmeca was fine for the other map, but here you can use Veracruz or something like that.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
It feels very dark and rainy. Gloomy even.

Ocean is pretty good. The title looks weird (that's embossing right?). Probably looks better to emboss a different font.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
sunshine edit (click to show)

yup. the font itself is called emboss. if i try another font i'd have to find out how to emboss it if i went with that idea still.
While playing around with it further i actually embossed region names on the main map.. added a compass, brightened up the land..name changes
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
PsymonStark wrote:
The embossed font and the ocean fonts don't fit at all...
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Connection style change
pixels tidy up
Title changes, font consistency.
Matty wrote:
The map looks very plain. Not metal, not shiney, but mat. Like it's made of plastic.

Since two edit's ago it's become brighter. But not warmer. It still feels kinda cold. Distant. Dim.

Don't know, that's the kind of emotions I think of when looking at this map.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
CheekyTeeky wrote:
Make the sea pink that will add happy thoughts ^^

On a more serious note I hope that this will be more landscape orientated as it currently looks portrait in orientation or maybe that is just the way the image shows in forum threads. Also not sure that the CAPS descriptors are necessary? This might be what is adding to the sterile feel of it.

My two cents.

You have a keen military mind Pod...
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Well, this is my landscape attempt, added few more mountain ranges that could be used for gameplay. Mexican, and the Appalachian range on the east. The top looked bare, so
tried frozen shore look, icy textures. cold tones then getting warmer going south. Inset was giving me trouble with the new colour tones, had an idea to do it like this for readability
Hoodlum wrote:
With Coloured Cirles/adjacents (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't know why Dominican Republic is shortened. Central Canada should be called Prairies.

I think that you're overbonusing again... Caribbean should be a 3, Mexico a 4, East Canada a 3, Arctic a 4.

I'd cheat a bit the map, and move Iceland a bit south and cut some pixels from the top, to get at most a 1024x1024 map which completely fits in more screens.

And also "U.S.A." not "U.S.A". The A needs a period too!
Hoodlum wrote:
1024 edit (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
extra texture (click to show)
naathim wrote:
The latest map image (click to show)

Not enough delineation between the regions for me. It's better in this last version, but I need more contrast between the greens. I do like what you've done with it, just play a little more with the contrasts to make the regions more plain.

Make NY and Quebec border more obvious. Just so there's no confusion.

Even though they don't do anything, the mountain ranges provide a good visual balance to the map. You might consider extending the Rockies up into Canada.

The territories in the states look a little blobby, which I know is just kind of the nature of the beast when you're combining states. I think mo. and Arkansas can be combined, it would look better.

Love that ice shore effect. But I think you can narrow it in certain places, like Greenland.

Maybe a new name rather than Tundra? The Plains is fine because it's commonly called that, but not Tundra lol. P.N.W. for pacific northwest maybe? Although that's not entirely accurate either... Just eastern Canada would he fine I think.

I don't think Iceland is technically part of NA, but I like it, so I will allow it.

Really like the font! And I LOVE the flag art.

Great job as always Hood!
PsymonStark wrote:
A small question... could you get rid of Guatemala and put the territory in some other point of the map? (maybe divide Mexico territory in 2?) Currently it looks weird, plus it's not part of N. America (but C. America). Mexico is geographically part of N. America so... the region shouldn't really be called C. America but Mexico :D

I can distinguish the region just fine, but would appreciate more different colours in the Lakes and Quebec regions.