Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 20 of 40
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

A compact version of Chicago's central regions (less scroll), fused with urban texture experiments. 1920's till present, Mafia - Street gang history.

Gameplay = 40 Territories, 6 regions.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
In the 1920's didn't they have the Underground (Subway)? You could use that for the Port Connection.
I'm not sure if they had it then though?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I think they had already the Loop in the very centre (don't know the periferies though). But it is more like... Over-ground!
https://ratpag.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/photo1-11.jpg?w=640&h=480

Anyway I think mafiosos still preferred to move by yacht along the lake and river. It's more relaxing when you go to kill someone, you know.
http://evinsider.infinitiusa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/vantageyachtclub_1746256_thumb.jpg
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
After a few attempts to make a polynesia map with NZ and pacific islands I gave up and played with an Australasia idea, (including West Papua)
NZ was moved west a little, and Melanesia Island group adjusted down a little to give the map an evenish map coverage play area.
I used some indigenous territory/terrain lines of Australia, while doing the same for place names of other Island countries.
All regions are kept real. Victoria & Tasmania combined.
34 territories.
10 regions.
Airport ports.
No theme.

Australasia (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
I'm not a fan of this map's look. It's too linear in the islands and too cluttered in Australia, and every region has been noticeably prepared for some territories to not touch others, giving weird shapes everywhere... just my opinion. Also a map with 34 terries and ports? A small map shouldn't really need ports.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

I didn't like the territory shapes either so went boxy like texas. ports gone. graphics play around
aeronautic wrote:
Only just noticed the mosaic Kangaroo in the centre of Oz. At first I thought it was a bison / longhorn skull then realised there aren't any in Oz... Nice.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
spanish sounds more exotic :) In 1568, the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Mendaña was the first European to visit the Solomon Islands archipelago, naming it Islas Salomón
still not sure what is was know as in it's indigenous language. but I tried to keep most places with indigenous names.
the kangaroo is aboriginal dot art, did the same for nz with maori koru in the north, and fern fauna in the south.
naathim wrote:
I like it. Well balanced, nice little map. The straight lines look a little weird. But overall it's pretty good.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Played around with it today.
PsymonStark wrote:
Must say that this style looks neater than the one before. A couple of things. Orange in Melanesia seems too intense compared to the rest of the map and Papua seems a bit too sealike. Also the division in NZ doesn't seem particularly natural.

All connections are curved and don't make sharp angles except the Chatham ones. And the shape of Patpa Warra Yunti seems too vertical. Maybe redraw it so it makes an L and make it join the gulf at Wangka Wilurrara.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
Wow I love the overall look. Blue color on north on blue water is really hard to get over though, as well as the similarity in color from WA to QLD regions. But you can tweak color relatively easy. This is really nice looking.
Matty wrote:
I like the overall feeling of that, but it has a quite big problem IMO: the texture of the land and the texture of the see are very similar. And since they are also both of similar brightness, there isn't really much to say as to why the sea couldn't be one huge territory.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I like the overall look & layout of the map, but it seems too indistinguishable at the moment. The land has Light outer glow on a pale sea, so this gives it a sort of blurry or out of focus appearance.
Things that can fix this and make the land pop to the foreground would be either keep the Light outer glow and darken the sea (a lot) or lighten the sea and put a Dark outer glow on the land.