Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 19 of 40
naathim wrote:
+1 color scheme. I think it looks quite a bit better, easier on the eyes at least. Although the L in that font is... not my favorite :P

One of the bigger issues for me, is that size of the rivers for impassables. I don't think they need to be QUITE so large. And in some places... Not sure as rivers are really needed. Like in the Stony Shore...

This still looks better (to me) than the one we currently have. Although if there's gonna be a big update to it, I hope we can really do it justice. Cause the gameplay on here is fun, but it doesn't look the best.
The_Bishop wrote:
There are plenty of places where rivers and bridges can be eliminated really. I think if one loves 'A Song of Ice and Fire' can play Westeros & Essos map, more accurate and excellent in graphic. If one loves big size maps we have Texas and World Expanded which are better in my opinion. I believe this one has no future, every day less popular (if you check my stats it's falling down from 2 games per day to 1 per day recently). Capital placements are horrible and nobody never checked my proposals. Not to mention the issue of the invisible cap' in the white region, never fixed... It may be turned 'discontinued' for me, like it was for the old USA map and the old South Africa District.

@Hood, I liked the Chicago map! The second proposal is also cool, I cannot decide really, less scrolly but also less room for labels, beatiful look but completely different style from previous. You cutted the river again though! I think it should be visible also in the non-playing area. As for the gameplay, I noticed you described something similar to what I told about large region maps: well, you call it "continenters" and "roamers", I say "lions" and "vultures", but it's the same thing. As for the game rules you described, I believe the manual deployement makes the game trivial, and the 6 cards rule is catastrophically stalemating!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
The_Bishop
There are plenty of places where rivers and bridges can be eliminated really. I think if one loves 'A Song of Ice and Fire' can play Westeros & Essos map, more accurate and excellent in graphic. If one loves big size maps we have Texas and World Expanded which are better in my opinion. I believe this one has no future, every day less popular (if you check my stats it's falling down from 2 games per day to 1 per day recently). Capital placements are horrible and nobody never checked my proposals. Not to mention the issue of the invisible cap' in the white region, never fixed... It may be turned 'discontinued' for me, like it was for the old USA map and the old South Africa District.
I'm not sure to which map you are referring to for discontinuation?

I see a mention of the invisible Cap', which I guess is Westeros and if so, this should be raised as a new post on the Westeros thread so that it can be discussed in public.

I also want to have a small meeting by PM, this will be just to talk about new maps and organise ourselves efficiently.
It will be for all those currently and previously involved in map making and development in a variety of roles as well as all the Admin's who are in charge of the Cartographic Team.
Therefore, Hoodlum will be included as both a Cartographer and an Admin', seem as he is as much a Cartographer as the rest of us.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Having read back on the thread, I see that it is Westeros that you are discussing.

I have made a post on the Westeros thread and will make a PM for staff discussion.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
What about a "Chicago gangs" map?

Hoodlum, in the video there are the symbols of the 3 main street gangs of Chicago:
Gangster Disciple, Vice Lords and P-stones, and many other are listed.
They are powerfull organized mafias, fighting each other for the control of the city.
Hoodlum wrote:
yeah bishop, the reason i found the original regional chicago map was because i was on the path of looking for a real location urban city, to try an urban war theme..that's the only idea i have with this map.

what video?
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
navajo nation (click to show)

Another region map that looked like risk map on quick glance. The Navajo Nation is a semi-autonomous Native American-governed
territory, occupying portions of northeastern Arizona, southeastern Utah, and northwestern New Mexico.

On research, I saw that there is a board game called Navajo wars (http://www.gmtgames.com/navajo/map_sample.jpg)

Drew all the exact borders / regions / territory lines and even colour scheme as is, from a PDF file reference, but maybe a gameplay can be made out of it eventually, combining regions / territories and and using the terrain somehow. I'm starting to fill in territory names but the territories on the east and south east in particular it's gonna be troublesome, gonna do it anyway just to have this as a map reference rather than the pdf file.
PsymonStark wrote:
Wut, what's with the green thingies? Need a bit more of clarification, at least some regions.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
This is really interesting Hood.
1st you should put everything you have on the above post in Map Suggestions.

In order to help the cartographers when we discuss it, it would be an idea to do a little more research and find out all the correct Navajo names for the territories and regions and this will help with its decision on whether it has potential for good gameplay and whether it becomes the next new map.

I hope to have a few suggested maps to discuss before we proceed with the next map. Not that it means any or all will be rejected, it just means we will concentrate on the ones with most potential.

(edit) an idea is to also research European settlements and other warring nations that also contested the lands in the period you choose.
Hoodlum wrote:
yeah i find American Indian culture fascinating.

oh and the green things are other territories i just clumped there for now that are a bit further south of the dimensions. an idea to put them in a box as a region like we did with the philippines map. i just jotted an inset in and a few names to give an idea of what could be. I know the regions and stuff need to be clarified, it's just a copy cat of the regional map I am using with 1024 width dimensions, space for a title and minimap ..
Hoodlum wrote:
reference 1 (click to show)

reference 2 (click to show)

The Berlin Wall (click to show)

Tinkering around with this idea, where the wall decays over rounds. (maybe gameplay possible in the future)
At this stage the territory count is 68. The wall was built by the East side, so the territories used for the wall are on the East.
Small territories from my reference map were omitted and combined. The wall territories were brought out of their regions, which kind of helped because there were a couple of large regions being the red and purple ones. I don't know how fair this would be, but it's an interesting idea to me. Things to think about would be the change of connectivity available when the wall becomes penetrable, and the bonuses for regions being appropriate. i just jotted some numbers down, and connection arrows.
The_Bishop wrote:
The Berlin Wall by Hoodlum (click to show)

Nice job.
Hey Hood, I was resuming a bit the various proposals in place and I added a diverse gameplay proposal for this map in the Map Suggestion thread.
aeronautic wrote:
The map itself and the theme seem fine for me, but the special coding for a decaying Wall is something that seems impractical right now, because, as you probably know, it is not yet something that can / will be worked on by the programmers.
Also, there is the images thing to consider... in order for an impassable to decay, the image would have to change in some way, meaning you would have to have several images uploaded to that Map Creation in the cartographer panel (not possible at the moment, due to map ID allocation etc), or alternatively numerous Wall graphic overlays to be loaded as the Wall decayed and then the connections changing to suit the new gameplay as it progresses.

Perhaps this might be something possible in the future. I might be wrong, but with the site just being rewritten and the programmers still flat out on all the issues still to be resolved, plus the discussions we have had about special gameplay coding in the past, I can't see there being a big change to the game coding & cartographer panel to suit such special gameplay in the near future.