Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 16 of 40
Hoodlum wrote:
#3333 (click to show)

More graphic edits

Borders/Inlines less dark - dulled 

Text all at same size (were varying sizes before)

Added more projectional lines from the compass.,

Haven't yet attempted any territory changes.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
Looking really nice Hood.

Do you want to start a thread to finish the development?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Ganglands Turf War (click to show)

Having some fun with this one. Just a fantasy attempt, big map attempt (108). Theme started off being apocalyptic, but
ended up with American Gang turf war theme. Real gangs research (wikipedia) for regions/territories. Should be some fun
playing on it with the map editor.
aeronautic wrote:
Not your usual theme / map type Hood, is this a map that was used somewhere else or did you make it all?
I like the look of the map, but I fear the "gangs" theme would be too controversial for D12.

That doesn't mean you can't change the theme though.

I really like the expression of urban life with the brick texture.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Made it all.. yup, the brick texture is what helped me decide to go with the urban city theme.
aeronautic wrote:
Those land colours and textures are awesome.
The bridges are innovative.
The trees... I'm not fussed on those, kind of reminds me of jungle of despair. When you put 3D graphics on a map at a vertical viewing angle, they look cheesy, plus just like Jungle they are not showing their impassability intuitively.

Just graphic and general talk for now... The rivers / waterways still have borders across their estuaries.

The Key needs a bigger wall background and must come away from the "Sons of Silence" territory.
Better wording in the key is "Precincts are connected".
The "+ Region Bonus" key isn't really required, there you needed the Impassable Trees or whatever alternative impassable objects you change them to.

The Water Background needs to be Lighter to best suit your foreground.

After looking at some of the Gang Names, this will definitely be too controversial a theme to use. Therefore there is no point in mentioning typo's etc.
The map is a good one, but you'll have to think of another urban theme, perhaps even a fictional futuristic one!?!?

This may be just me, but the colours and the texture you chose for the land has given this map one of the best WWII looks I've seen in a long time. It's a shame it's NY because if it was exactly like that on a WWII Battle Zone, I would be totally envious & begging you to use it for other battle maps I had ideas for that had an urban conflict theme.
aeronautic wrote:
p.s., will you slow down? You're knocking them out quicker than the cartographers. ;)

I'll be back in action soon as time opens up for me in the New Year.
Hoodlum wrote:
haha. just keeping myself busy. it's just fun practice, and a good way to keep myself from gambling my points in 2p games.. Feel free to use any ideas, colour schemes, because I pretty much borrow, copy paste, edit everything lol.

and yeah.. a bit of a controversial theme with place names bordering on insensitivty maybe, but haven't seen a gang/turf risk map yet on any site, but makes some fun sense to have one. Fun to see all these gangs we all hear and know from movies and such in an idea like this. A fictional one could be fun.

btw. it's not NY, just a cloud generated landscape I made. but it kinda looks like it.
naathim wrote:
You got the Bratva. Only one's who matter :P

I don't much care for it, reminds me of the old N64 Mario games with that brick texture :D

I do love the water texture though!
Hoodlum wrote:
Did a tidy up of it,. redraw of the rivers - pixel fixing in a lot of strays in lots of spots. Water texture i'm quite happy with, I like how things accidentally happen. Prodding along with it, appreciate the feedback, only comment if ya feel like it, just a personal map to try things..and be creative with.

Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Aaaa... The land lost it's great look after you removed the cloud shadows.. well now I know what made it look so great! ;)
Hoodlum wrote:
actually, i think it was the pastel generator I used for the land. kinda had the same random shades as the clouds, but only problem with it..it seems to make pixels, around the edges disappear and make it bevel like, where I'm having to fill them up. so will have to try doing it with some other technique to get that look back.
Hoodlum wrote:
actually, it might have been the oil painting generator or a combination of all. lol
Hoodlum wrote:
ganglands (click to show)

Recovered some texture files.
I tried making roads for connections, since it would make sense being an urban map. Googling mafia map lead me to this map. Thought the layout was a coincidence, my one was generated with a cloud rendering (PDN) I borrowed some region names. Google tough Neighbourhoods, in america, then other parts of the world for territory names. Was gonna add fictional gang names, but they just got cheesier as I ran out of ideas haha.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Had a few games with the map editor. I like it, but all the other AI's gang up on me :) I make all the AI fight themselves and give them the gang names of the map to see who wins. Dragon's 2 wins, Greasers 1.
I changed the trees, stole some pixels from westeros/essos..added trunks, in the same way i added pylons to the road bridges. thought about adding some buildings here and there.