Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 13 of 40
naathim wrote:
Yeah, same here. The circle-y, blobby islands don't quite do it for me.
Hoodlum wrote:
yeah i agree with the comments. It's weird when ya post the image in the forums and it just seems to have a different look or you see it differently from the image you have on your computer. noticing new things instantly. Tried a few techniques to blend the land and background. layers all over the place now lol.

texture edits (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
That paper texture is great, it took on an even better look and feel. I agree with the other guys about the land though, generally it is better now, but it would take on an even better look if you were to make all different tones for each territory, similar to how the other guy's version was.
The background in its entirety is looking really good, I wouldn't alter much there.

Is this on Photoshop?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
naw still PDN lol. too familiar with it, quicker with it. I'd need some time of extra boredom to sit down and practice more with photoshop. I will eventually
aeronautic wrote:
Still I think it's a better version than the first one suggested (the one that was made into a real board).
You can probably get ideas about territory colours from it though https://www.flickr.com/photos/129921315@N08/15775313780/in/photostream/lightbox/
although be more subtle with the colour difference, I think the 1st version was a bit over the top on territory colour difference.

(Edit) I think the outer land shadow gave it its edge (its hook).
Also be a bit less over enthusiastic with the territory inner shadows, for example, change the amount and the width for small territories.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
1st attempt @ colour territory tones. inner coast opacity lowered, (will attempt inner territory shadow/noise re-do more in next edit). thanks for feedback.

1stcolour (click to show)

The_Bishop wrote:
This is a good well designed map. Just a bit chocked in the middle but I think it's cool. Bonuses are very low, I believe you should raise Mexico 2 points and all the other regions 1 point.

There are some territory labels that is not very clear which territories belong to, since they are closer to the neighbour circle than it's own. Text can overlay the boundaries without any problems as long as it keeps the lines intuitive.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
Agree on what Bishop says on bonuses. Everything needs a +1 or even a +2.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
bonus changes / some label movement / colouring in / inland shadow etc etc
#2 (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Those territories are looking better now.

Outside the land, I would go for something similar to the 1st version, a slightly darker outer glow, with less spread, giving a slightly raised effect.

(Edit) Apure needs a colour change, it looks too similar to the background, giving it the look of a Lake or Inland Sea. Monagas is also too similar.
Hoodlum wrote:
outside the land? or inside coast line? i think i lessened the opacity (transparency thing) for inland coast,. Outside the land (ocean) I hadn't made any changes. and yeah, those two territories mentioned, I was skeptical about..i think i'm getting quite good at knowing what should be changed, a bit of doubt/laziness. but it's good to have that 2nd'd :)
aeronautic wrote:
aero
Outside the land, I would go for something similar to the 1st version, a slightly darker outer glow, with less spread, giving a slightly raised effect.
To clarify, I mean outside the land on the sea, the transition area all around the land where it becomes sea. There is a slight dark glow there, but it is too separated, too light and too spread.
cbt711 wrote:
He means the area you initially added noise. Instead of Noise just do an outer shadow or outer glow using a dark color. It will blend it into the paper texture and make it pop off the page.

If you don't have outer glow / shadow options in your program (I'm not familiar with what you use), then copy all of the land, paste new layer, brightness contrast the layer to Pure black or as dark as you can get it, put it behind the visible land layers, then gausian blur it 8-12 pixels. Change transparency until you like the look.

Man that texture looks great! What a cool map.

So can we use this map or is this from an actual board game special edition or something with some trademark implications?
Hoodlum wrote:
last update reference (click to show)
cool thanks for tips. It sure can be used if wanted.
It was an interest map by a new player JS243 who wanted to see if he could develop his West Indies project here, but instead went ahead with turning it into an actual personal game
board and hasn't pursued it on D12 any further and isn't an active player. I had decided to mess around with it, with a pirate theme in mind, but I know we have lot's of maps already in this part of the world,
caribbean / caribbean dual / panama & central america. Do we need another one? Having fun with it anyways. Another island map! :)
cbt711 wrote:
Panama Canal did not exist until after Texas, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida were states in their current modern forms. So either the states are wrong, or there should be no canal shown under the player circle for Panama :)