Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 12 of 40
naathim wrote:
Um... I meant the Bangsamoro islands in the inset to not be white.
Hoodlum wrote:
island colour edit (click to show)

Bangsamoro Islands recolored
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
naathim wrote:
I was wrong I think! The green doesn't look great. Maybe try the pink again now that you've brightened stuff up?
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

back to pink islands
inset redone

New Philippines thread made here
Hoodlum wrote:
haven't dabbled with maps in a while.
West Indies (click to show)
Caribbean extra connected (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
The original West Indies that JS243 brought here was something that was perhaps more suitable as an actual game board.
It wouldn't really have taken much to adapt it to D12 if he/she had taken on a D12 map maker's help.

Your version is a good start point Hood, but first to make it look inviting as the other was, you will need that land transition (outer Grey glow) which will smooth the map edges.
The octopus is the same, so it would have to go.
What also gave the other one appeal was the different colour territories.
I don't think I'd choose their colour arrangement, I would make each neighbouring region colour the most contrasting, there are other orders that JS243's version could have used that would have been more distinctive (keeping the same colour scheme).
In the interest of Dabbling, keep playing with it keeping https://www.flickr.com/photos/129921315@N08/15775313780/ that version at hand to see what was appealing about it as a reference.
-------------------------

I also like the idea of Caribbean Extra Connected or maybe "Caribbean X", I like how you linked the territories to stop the bottle neck.
I would suggest making a connection from Dominican Republic to Mattheu and changing Georgetown to Palm Beach because D. Rep. & Florida are too easy to defend.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
HammerTime wrote:
days of the pirates eh :) well ships were everything back then..and ships need ports ..like Mexico Panama Jamaica... just sayin :)

btw nice looking map Hood
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
HammerTime wrote:
  Caribbean X

Hood have u considered moving the connection from GT to Santa Clara ...would make it harder to invade from Jamaica to GT and vise versa
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Hoodlum wrote:
played around with colours (west indies) in the interest of a dabble. sometimes I think I am onto something, then I'll have a sleep on it, and wonder wth.

Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
I like it, it has a feel of Pirates of the Caribbean about it.
I think if you put a slight transition from land to sea, it will look even better (Outer Dark Glow with noise).

Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything, everyone will say they hate it now!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

some pixel fixes, colour circle test, noise land/sea
Hoodlum wrote:
add on edit (click to show)

Title / add ons
cbt711 wrote:
Looks awesome. I feel the land is a bit cartoon looking vs. the feel of the whole map.

Old crumpled map texture

Maybe do a feint overlay on the land to make it look more treasure map like?
Matty wrote:
I too had the feeling that the land didn't fit very well with the style of the map.
Had nothing much to say, so didn't said it, but now I can at least sat that I'm with cbt :)

Background and style of the map overall is pretty good, so well done there ;).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.