Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 9 of 40
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes, that'd be the b) option while mine is the a) option. I also like it better, even when I'm not sure about the orientation of the two islands in the inset. We're playing a lot with North here. What a mess!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
i like the rotation and suggestions and had thought perhaps all those 3 island might be better in a box than just one.

the scource file is a cartographers nightmare, no precision goin on at all with border drawing and stray pixels here and there, as i was just trying to get the gameplay moreso sorted, and expected to do a complete overhaul of the graphics after that, but it has managed to turn out decent looking along the way while trying to make it an easy reference. Also I am still using PDN and was going to eventually use photoshop to tackle it. Here's the scource file if anyones keen play around with it. Looks like the gameplay might be sussed out. http://www.filedropper.com/roly3
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
Map rotated, what a task. Dimensions = 1024 / 750
Had a play with the islands in bangsamoro. couple of versions
box / magnify - name options..

box (click to show)
magnify effect (click to show)
naathim wrote:
That looks good rotated Hood! And your idea to put all three in the box I think is the best option.

I much prefer just the border inset. That magnify one I don't think looks very good at all.

I'd move 'Masbate' territory label just outside and down from the territory itself, make it less crowded.

The background in the upper right area with the title seem very blank and empty now.

Do you think maybe it would look better if you flipped the title and the compass location?

OR rotate the mini map along the same axis and move it to where the title is and move the title and the sun down to where the mini-map is now? I think that would actually look pretty good?
aeronautic wrote:
I too prefer the unmagnified version, but think you should put the box around the island trio in the mini map, which would make it more intuitive and eliminate a need for explanation. Also put a Gaussian Blur on both to make them more hand drawn (slight paper absorbed) rather than precise.

I like the angle you chose and especially like what you did with the Lat' Long' lines, cutting them short makes them look awesome.
I think you should cut about 3 dashes from the Western 10 North (bottom of map) and cut short the one near Luzon, it looks like a connection line. Also cut them just short of "W" & "S" on the compass rose, that is if this is staying exactly where it is, which to me looks perfectly placed.

This actually looks like an old map, don't know if it was by accident, but wow a very good overall effect. The few things that spoil that look are; The Philippines logo & text, the connection lines (being square instead of round dots) and the labels & bonus font.
Choose an oldy worldy font and you're really on to something here.
Font Example linked, where important things are all capital letters and lesser important things are capital first letter, all horizontal serif type with slight italic. https://archangelnikk.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/scan10026-large.jpg

I don't know if it's just that your skills are getting better, or you creativity is tip top, but I am very impressed with this even though you call it a dabble.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Vexer wrote:
Hoodlum - Mar 20, 05:45 PM
Map rotated, what a task.

If it were me I would have posted your rotation first before making territories. Like Clarke did with the world double.

I would have given the same advice and the map could have been drawn at that rotation from the get go.

It's very important not to do very much work before posting when you are new to map making. I know this is counter to how most people feel. Most people want to get it to a certain point before sharing. That's fine but it's not efficient.

Nice work though. The rotation is good and works just fine will all 3 islands in the box.
The_Bishop wrote:
Nice shot! @Vexer - I mean nice idea to adjust the map rotation that way, it looks much better for me.

And... @Hoodlum - I like better the "Box" version.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
@aero

Started off as mentioned just quickly drawn up, color matched, quickie background, so the look became quite accidental while
focusing on the gameplay. I realized it had that old map feel so tried to keep it roughed up in style as i plodded along.

@Vexer, yeah I would normally wait but I thought the initial dimensions and rotation were gonna work. It looks more like
Phillipines now though.

@Naathim

Kept the compass there. like aero, I think it's placed well. Good suggestion about replacing the inset with the title, but
I wanna keep the map in the inset upright to display PI in that form and it was easier to keep it where it is :). I was aware that there was
more space top right corner too. I played around with the title a bit to fill it up more, and tried to blend it in better according to
the style of the map.

PI Version I forgot (click to show)

Tried best to do all the feedback suggested. PDN doesn't have the circle line feature though so couldn't adjust that bit.
aeronautic wrote:
The Title is better placed and the Logo is awesome now.
The fonts are still not quite fitting, including the title. You need to find a font with horizontal slab serif's ( _ - ) and don't italicise it as much if possible choose one slightly italic or non italic (italic can go from perfect to impractical in 1 degree).
The font for the labels is too much a script, this type of font was only used for much lesser information on a map such as rivers, lakes etc., territories should really be the next stage down, i.e. same font, but with an initial capital letter and lower case word.
The map I posted was really old, I should have posted something more late 19th / early 20th century, which is what this map reminds me of. http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Map-of-Canada-Circa-1900
The labels are hard to read on this, but you'll see clearly in the BAFFINLAND (Yellow Region) what I mean. Also see the map Title for ideas.

Calabarzon in Mini Map is too close to the edge of the map, see what size it comes out when you change the font and if still too close, compress the word slightly.
Possible suitable font downloads:
http://www.1001fonts.com/tienne-font.html
http://www.1001fonts.com/non-solus-font.html
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/foro
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/permian-slab
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Bitstream-Vera-Serif
http://www.1001fonts.com/aleo-font.html
http://www.1001fonts.com/fowviel-font.html
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Quick question. What happened to the S in the wind rose?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
yeah ill have to fix that up..didnt notice it till i posted it. i think a layer double up somewhere.. didn't get deleted on that part.
naathim wrote:
An easy solution for the Calabazon thing. Switch Luzon to the left and Calabazon to the right. I don't think people would get confused with that.

What aero said about the font. It looks nice, but it is hard to read :(

The sun picture looks AWESOME! Very well done!!

Although that corner still seems pretty bland to me. But idk what you could do to spruce it up. Looks much better than it did though.

I think your inset is perfect!

I really like your connection lines. They don't blend in with the background as much anymore lol. I think though that the one between Hoilo and Negros Occidental looks like it overlaps on the border of Negros. Talk about nitpicking :D (same with Cebu between Cebu/Bohol). I'm sure they're not, just looks that way for some reason.

On the connection line between Mindoro and Palawan, maybe veer it to the right a bit and take it all the way down to the long island the territory circle is on? The little island it's currently going to is about the size of the little Bangomoros islands, so it kind of looks like you might have just forgot a territory circle.

Death by a thousand cuts :DDD

It's really looking good Hood!
aeronautic wrote:
naathim
What aero said about the font. It looks nice, but it is hard to read
aeronautic
The labels are hard to read on this, but you'll see clearly in the BAFFINLAND (Yellow Region) what I mean

The scales are hugely different between the example and this map, so you need to see the new font suggested above, on this map first.
Hoodlum wrote:
added the phillippine motto in english and tagolog

added the 3 stars. fill up some void

chose the Perma slab font suggestion

palawan connection / windrose "S" adjusted.

version font change (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
It is starting to take real shape Hood. Those region colours are nice, but need a tad more colour, especially the Davao region, it is camouflaged with the background.

I think the colour should be added as an inner effect (glow) on the land regions, this way it will look great, because most of the colour will stay as it is on all regions, but a brighter more vibrant colour will blend into it, giving the effect that the whole region is more vibrant. You will need the regions in separate layers to accomplish this.

The outer effect on the mini map needs to come down in size and in spread. The small islands are the giveaway to the best effect.

The labels (apart from the sea) all need to be a tiny bit (and I mean a tiny bit) darker, this is a nice contrast, but must be a bit more easily read and the bonuses made not so white.

Labels that don't fit are normally more intuitive if the initial letter is on the territory.