Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 6 of 40
PsymonStark wrote:
I find a 4 corner problem in the southernmost part of the north island. Also, I would add a Thames-Coromandel--Rodney connection.

Is there any internal territory on this map?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
PsymonStark - Jan 26, 02:08 PM
Is there any internal territory on this map?
Far north?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Yes and Whangarei too, but you understand me :P

There is a dead spot on Dunedin's border.
aeronautic wrote:
You could merge some of those regions to create some internal territory. There are 14 regions on a 44 territory map !!!

Also, before you get too far down the line, you could make this map slightly bigger, by following some of Vexer's pointers and using his map as a reference / guide. For instance, if you moved the two islands slightly closer together, you can increase the overall width of the map by how ever many pixels you moved it. You'll notice he also overlapped a little of the land off map, because it doesn't necessarily all have to be seen, as long as you don't crop it off so that you can use it for your mini map.

If all the map responders are happy that this is a viable map, why not create a New Zealand thread for it?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't know what other people think, but I don't see it as a bad thing. It is something different. We haven't got any map with lots of small regions. And the possibility of superregions is big enough to create many suprainternal territories.

I would wait though until East Indies goes out in beta.
Matty wrote:
Another thought (sorry Hoodlum) but I like the other new zealand map a lot better. Just for the looks of things.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
i understand matty, i like it too. i just wanna see a nz map and not sure if ronalchn will ever return as he seemed so close to finish, or if at least my attempt pushes someone else to even create a better one over time, I'd just be proud to see a properly represented NZ map. Or even if D12 gets to that point of having a series of maps..like the World Classic (reduced/modified/expanded), & Caribbean (regular/double) etc. I don't mind keeping mine as a reference in this thread and keep it as practice. :)

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
PsymonStark wrote:
I write this because this is the 8000th post on the map creation forums.

Edit: Now I edit to add to the discussion :P

Personally I like better the Hood's graphic version (but enhanced) but I am unsure about gameplay. Maybe a mixture of both would be better but I don't exactly know. I don't like the border and background of the ronalchn's map. I think some of its colours are too bright.
Vexer wrote:
I also prefer hoodlum's graphics but am also unsure about the gameplay.

I had previously messaged ronalchn's to get his file but he hasn't logged in to check it.
Hoodlum wrote:
im gonna play some games with the map editor to see how the gameplay feels (with the souther alps impassible).
this edit, just resized even larger, added Psymons suggested connections, and took out the territories in the inset for a cleaner look.

Spoiler (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
I didn't suggest any connection to Whangarei. It was an answer to Matty. I didn't think it was needed at all.

It looks quite weird. I would get rid of it.
Hoodlum wrote:
u want it deleted?..donesky! :)

Gameplay. (dm)

I played a handful of games (against ai) starting off each game trying to claim different corner of the North Island. because the current bonuses are small, strategically you want to claim those easy one bonuses and extend further over rounds. The ports prevent you from getting too carried away with extending out. at most, an amount of a collective 4 bonus is what you might try to go for in a 6player plus increasing card game. i think players will tend to sit big armies on the north ports when they have extending out. so i feel the ports are in good even positions where they are.

in the south, the ports will likely be used as travelling ports. while the easily obtainable region will be the westcoast. That position will act like australia in classic map. sit back and grow while the rest might duke it out, in the North Island,

I actually like how the north island is for gameplay. South Island I'm not so sure about. capital games, I haven't thought about yet.
Hoodlum wrote:
ronalchn style edit (click to show)
had a play around with it ronalchn's 3d style (bevel) and wood background. would like to pull off some Maori carving into the wood somehow. 
Matty wrote:
I think it's not the wood or the bevels that made me love his map, but more the colours (and textures? (and mountains?)).

Not saying that the wood and bevels are not original - they are.
Hoodlum wrote:
I like the dimensional look myself, like the mountains in italia, ever since Italia map it seemed like the interface had movement other than the
numbers in game play. like there is some shifting on the territories, I'm not exactly sure if it's because my eyes decieve me on Italia or there
is actual shifting of some sort on the page. I only notice it with the Italia map, anyone else notice that? anyways, it makes the map come alive.