Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 15 of 40
PsymonStark wrote:
I guess it's accurate but for a different time. The problem is that usually old maps don't have a defined or a simple regional outline.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
ahh cool references. next edit i'll join Panama..change TT to yellow.
Hoodlum is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
Panama edit / TT recolour
update 1031 (click to show)
Hoodlum is online.
PsymonStark wrote:
I did a few accuracy checks, and came up with some suggestions.
Spoiler (click to show)
First, please check if you can move the labels of Coahuila, Louisiana, Orinoco and Apure to the positions on the pic, they look better, and clearer, I'd say.

Second. Blue region was in 1823-1838 the Federal Republic of Central America (República Federal de Centroamérica). Thus, the region name as a country name would be missing an accent (C. América). The actual name is way too long though :D

Third, the Lesser Antilles are inaccurate geographically. A more accurate division is detailed on the image. Sorry for undoing the work, but Virgin Islands weren't named like that until 1917 when Denmark sold them to the US. Thus Danish Antilles is more adequate.

And last but not least, Coatzacoalcos has never been a territory by itself. In fact, now I can't tell which of the territories below the label corresponds to on a glance, especially because Tabasco label is very well hidden. I'd like to know what do you think of merging Coatzacoalcos with Veracruz to the gameplay, and potentially dividing the México territory in two. That would be clearer, and more accurate. Please note that the México division on the image is not taken from any map, but could be divided in México and Michoacán.
Hoodlum wrote:
hmmm some easy edits.... except for the last but not least one lol.

editing mexico and joining veracruz & Caotzacoalcos together would require quite a few layers to edit and get right..colours,, new borders,,texture..shadows etc..so my thoughts on that are, from that point of view..":(".

I think a name change for Coatzacoalcos is a simpler solution..gotta be a smaller name perhaps for that area.
Hoodlum is online.
Hoodlum wrote:
Psyom requests (click to show)
Psymon edits (click to show)

olmec area (click to show)

What about Olmec ?
That area already drawn is the Olmec Heartland between Veracruz & Tobasco
Hoodlum is online.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well, it can be ok. I would rather use the Spanish word Olmeca or Olmecas for coherence. If you can fit the extra letters.

The label in Coahuila remained unchanged. Does it look bad in the original file?
Hoodlum wrote:
lol was hoping to edit it before you saw it..your fast!

Hoodlum - Dec 9, 12:18 AM
Psyom requests (click to show)
Psymon edits (click to show)

olmec area (click to show)

What about Olmec ?
That area already drawn is the Olmec Heartland between Veracruz & Tobasco

*spoiler (Psymon edits) adjusted for post #222
PsymonStark - Dec 9, 02:47 AM
Well, just can't fall asleep :D

If you move Coahuila 1px down it would look better, I think. More to come in graphics aspects, but the first thing, Apure looks too flashy in that marker yellow. And again, Tabasco not Tobasco. Nothing to do with tobacco :D
Hoodlum is online.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well, just can't fall asleep :D

If you move Coahuila 1px down it would look better, I think. More to come in graphics aspects, but the first thing, Apure looks too flashy in that marker yellow. And again, Tabasco not Tobasco. Nothing to do with tobacco :D
naathim wrote:
A somewhat less convoluted way would be to combine 'Olmeca' and Veracruz and carve out another territory from the 'Yucatan' conglomeration. Either Quintana Roo (having just returned from Cancun, that's my choice :P) Or Campeche. Make Yucatan an internal territory.

It would also clean up the central area of Mexico a bit for labels.
Hoodlum wrote:
i think psymons initial change request was so that Coatzacoalcos and Tobasco territories
could be identified more easily (Coatzacoalcos being lengthy) and that Coatzacoalcos has never been a territory by itself.
Coatzacoalcos has never been a territory by itself

I think Olmeca name change is a v good name change alternative..
Hoodlum is online.
naathim wrote:
Ah okay. I still think it would make it easier on you label wise. That way you could move Veracruz label down and to the right and relocate the Puebla label somewhere up beneath Nuevo Santander (although you might want to do that anyhow).

It's unclear to me what time period you're going for. If you're going for late 1700's, which I'm assuming here... I'd still move the Louisiana border over in a straight line so it includes Lake Ponchatrain and New Orleans. Republic of Texas... Didn't exist til the 1830's. It was still technically Louisiana, or at the very least the Coahuila y Tejas. Just nitpicking.

Here's a neat gif: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Mexico_states_evolution.gif

Good reference (apparently texas was called new philippines at one point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viceroyalty_of_the_New_Spain_1819_(without_Philippines).png

And I found a map from the 1783 that has the 'Danish Antilles' listed as the Virgin Isles. So you're safe to change it back to something people actually recognize :P https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4390.ar171300/
PsymonStark wrote:
I think we were going for the 1820s but whatever, it's just a risk map after all.
Hoodlum wrote:
cool references. It may make it easier label wise, but not so on the graphics, rebordering layers on layers of fix ups already..a lot of editing and potential butchering lol. Well, I've been so far goin with Psymons 1820's-1830's period thus far. The era of the last pirates at least..as we can't be sure what these territories I had already drawn from the territories that JS243 drew up were named back in 1700's.

Previous edit reference (click to show)

New edit, there's some play around with the brush in an attempt to odlen or dirty it up (less cartoony)..added a frame, and some projectional lines. added 1820-30's date the last generation of piracy.
Latest Graphics dabble (click to show)
Hoodlum is online.