Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 23 of 40
Hoodlum wrote:
struggling with the getting the colours right. think i'll put it on hold for a bit and come back to tackle it, or if anyone would like to collaborate or give it a crack. I didn't set this one up to change colours easy as I merged it with textures.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
HammerTime wrote:
Iooks good Hoodlum.. I like the mountains to,I personally like it even if they don't do a whole lot..for me without some eye candy like this..I find maps look very plain an unfinished.. Mexico has mountains too :) as well in the East in around Virginia. Trees for Ontario an Quebec would also look nice.
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Hoodlum wrote:
i like the eye candy too, some amazing stuff like that on cartography guild site.. i know what i would like to see, but just not able to pull it off myself.

Spoiler (click to show)

This edit
Colour chages..tones..
rid of Guatemala - new territory = Oaxaca.

couldnt manage to get the mountains to extend into canada without making it look worse.

PsymonStark wrote:
You got rid of the territory but not of the name :P
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
oops.. gone. might as well add circle placement pic
With coloured Circles and adjacent values (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
Oh and noticed now, Koyukuk, not Koyokuk. Shouldn't Louisiana and Pennsylvania be abbreviated in caps and without period? (LA and PA instead of La. and Pa.).

I find difficult to distinguish the small blue territories in Caribbean from the background.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Hoodlum wrote:
The reference I found for abbreviations had both, I started out with abbreviating Michigan which is Mich.  so decided to use the others like that
Hoodlum wrote:
lightened up bahamas, speeled koyukuk. went and organised some layers and fix it so can edit colours easier, lost snow in process, had to remake some..few edits here and there .
latest (click to show)
naathim wrote:
I agree about the Caribbean region and color. Otherwise I think everything looks awesome! I think you could even highlight your mountains a little more in the east and west. They fade a bit in that dark brown (at least to me).

What would you think about adding Minnesota and Iowa to the Midwest region? (For whatever reason I don't care for that upper Mississippi River bit which just seems forced so the Plains isn't a 6 border region.) However, that would make 3 separate 4 territory/4 border regions in the west and 2, 6 territory/3 border territories in the east. So, while I think it would make the individual regions better, not sure if that would be too much sameness for the map.

This really reminds me very much of Aero's Westeros map. Just plain pretty!
Hoodlum wrote:
Caribbean recolour, mountain highlight edit (click to show)

Matty wrote:
My opinion: if you can get this to use a minimap rather then a legend, give it it's own topic and go for it. Looks pretty good.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I agree with Matty: I see better a normal minimap.
Not sure about land colored mountains. Usually I prefer mountains having its own colour.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
HammerTime wrote:
Nice touch Hood.. The colour's and numbers jump right out with the tones you have used for the region's.. Awesome looking map bro!!
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
Hoodlum wrote:
Dabbling with this today

World Inverted. I like the world expanded and med states maps for sametime live games 4+ players as many who play this game type
lately do. The dimensions and size of them make it suitable for that gametype. This map kind looks like a combo of both to me.
Drew up some regions etc

so far

99 Territories 21 regions
world inverted (click to show)
Matty wrote:
I like the idea, but this map is highly connected, not sure if it's fun to play.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria