A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 7 of 13
Matty wrote:
Haha, you were bored?

I love what you did with the colours, agree that the texture can be improved a bit still.

Not sure about all the decorations (including flag), I think it looks better without them.
I liked the subtleness of the old round decoration thingy (sorry @ New Zealanders).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
The problem with the texture is that, it is the real Topography of NZ and it is different in the North to the South (NZer's please verify), are we saying we don't want NZ to look like NZ?

I can not make it look equal for all my efforts, it just isn't even.
I guess we will have to have NZ with some other country's topography that is more aesthetically evenly distributed or some non-topographic textures.

@Hoodlum, I did not know your National Flag was so controversial, I will get rid of it. I will not try anything else on this map until everyone can settle on the look of the land map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
10 for Reference (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Fendi wrote:
I like this simple version, New Zealand 7, of the map but maybe increase the vibrance of the colours on the land just a tad because as it is now, they look washed out but bright. I also think that the ocean should maybe be desaturated by just a little because it is a bit overwhelming with the brightness of the land and the saturated ocean.

I also agree with Matty and Psymon about the flag legend (and the other decorations). They are cool and well done but I don't think they fit with the overall style of the site and the map. Remember "Less is more" :)

Hoodlum wrote:
Although I do like seeing the fern,
I agree with Matty/Fendi (no need to be sorry Matty :)) that it looks better with less being more, and feels more homegrown when it's simpler.
I like the land textures and realized it was the actual topography, I've got no issue with non-topographic textures being used though
if it makes it work. Version 10 without the additions is preference
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Both the Great Britain map and this map use the original texture, and in both cases I like the idea, but it doesn't work out that great.
Not saying that you have to get rid of it entirely, maybe you can blend two textures?

Another small thing: can the Taranaki region have a tiny bit less green? So that it's more cyan-ish and less sea-green-ish?
For some reason mixing too much green into blue creates a dirty feeling colour IMO.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
Sorry Fendi but I like the colors in version 10 though the title is a bit over saturated. But the colors might need to be adjusted anyway after the texture is modified.

Matty is right about the topography as a texture. It doesn't work well on Great Britain and it doesn't work well here. I might be the only one but it reminds me of looking under a microscope.

A think a texture style similar to Caribbean would work best.
I used many layers of random things (For example: http://www.mayang.com/textures/Plants/html/Dried%20Dead%20Plants/index.html) and crumpled paper textures with the opacities way down so you can't tell want it is.

I'd like to see a version with the kiwi dropped and the fern moved into it's place.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks for the valuable feedback Vexer.

I have changed the blue of the Taranaki on Matty's advice, made a new texture, moved the Silver Fern and put everything back the way it was on Vexer's advice, keeping the colours but adjusting saturation on the land and sea on Fendi's advice.

I have made a version which has hopefully addressed all the concerns and made it look more the way it was intended?
New Zealand 11 (click to show)
naathim wrote:
I think it's nearly perfect!!

the texture is good now. The colors are bright, but not overwhelming.

I know people didn't like the flag idea, but I thought it was cool Aero!! This just seems so much more plain :/

Only two minor adjustments I'd make is to brighten the fern up just the TEENSIEST bit. It's a little too faded into the back. And brighten up your and Hoods names in the signature. You can barely see them! And you guys deserve plenty of credit!
Vexer wrote:
I ditto naathim's comments.

It's been an arduous task but you two tackled it well. I'm very impressed.
Matty wrote:
I love it.

If you add the flag back, think twice about how to do the ports legend. I don't think the text on the flag looked that good.
Fendi wrote:
Awesome work.

The colours look gorgeous with the new texture. The map is perfect. (Sorry but I vote no on the flag legend and think keeping it simple is the way to go.)
aeronautic wrote:
Thank you to all for the feedback that has helped to develop this map.

I will make the minor adjustments suggested by naathim.

There is one outstanding question; I have been given 8 additional territories by Hoodlum, do you all think the map requires them?

I won't be adding any less than 8 due to the forbidden range and I know that the programmers will not have time to add the adjustment code to fix the forbidden numbers for a while.

If not, I will repost this with the updates and start working on Cap positions.
Matty wrote:
For me you can leave it without the extra 8 territories.