A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 3 of 13
Fendi wrote:
This version is the best one so far. The light region colours on the mountains makes them more coherent with the map itself and does not make them stand out as much despise having increased the opacity. I also like that the contrast between the two colours is not as strong as they were on this version.

I'm not sure what else you can do to improve them.
aeronautic wrote:
I will try toning down the colours during the next update, after I get some feedback for the current map state, which may enable me to get the text labels etc onto the map.

(Edit): Once again Fendi posted as I was writing LOL.
Thanks for the feedback Fendi, I will try the toning down on the colours to suit feedback from Matty & naathim, but will be careful not to affect the colour & contrast balance.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
@Hoodlum, I think perhaps with the vague statement of "split the pink region", it was too little to know exactly what he was suggesting and the nearest range I could find was east of where I have them and would interfere with game-play, something Syg said was not the case. I think it would be better to get the labels on the map so that positions can be pinpointed more accurately before I move them any more.

(Edit): My mistake, he stated that the lake would not affect game-play not the mountains splitting the pink region. Don't know why this was mentioned as it is already there.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I haven't followed much of maps last time, just read something about naathim not being happy with the colours - I kinda agree with that - or maybe not, maybe it's the feel of the map.

I hesistate to say anything, because I liked ronalch version better. Not that they are technically better, but because the feel of the map is so warm.
Not sure even if that feeling fits with an island, but then it's new zealand, not england.

So maybe it's the colours, the texture, whatever, but the map feels a bit like a bunch of carpets for a kids daycare.

I hope I'm not too negative, I find it hard to find anything negative about it at all, except for the overall feeling it's kinda perfect.
But it misses a soul I fear.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
NP the way I've set the map up, I can change all the region colours in 5 minutes without any rework on edges or bleeds.
I planned to turn them down anyway, but can try a few other variations.
aeronautic wrote:
I played around with the colours, opacities and effects to find a better look.

I removed the redundant mountains in the north island, they looked messy and were unnecessary.

I blended the mountain ranges into the land more to allow opacity, but not be too contrasting with the drop in land tone.

I also added the territory labels tonight, but left them off for now, for you all to see the land and give feedback.
New Zealand 3 (click to show)
New Zealand 4 (click to show)
New Zealand 5 (click to show)
ronalchn NZ for reference: http://i.imgur.com/kqKMubv.jpg
I purposely haven't followed any of ronalchn's version, but I could make this map all bubbly and bright if it is required? I just thought it would look nice in a geographic look.
There can also be kiwi features around the sea area, but I want to get the general land and sea sorted first.

Here are the labels and circles too, there has been a few name changes that Hoodlum will need to check.
New Zealand 5 Labels (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
I like NZ 5. I think the changed colour tone blends with the background and is an improvement to me. Perhaps the mountains in the NI could be less dense, they look more closer to the screen in comparison to the Southern Alps, the S.Alps look far in the distance as they do when your in the SI, which you managed to achieve.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
hmmm musta been an edit while i was posting. with the labels, the NI Mountains seem good actually
naathim wrote:
Hmmm...

The mountains are perfect!

I think I prefer the more vibrant colors on version 4. The lighter shades on version 5 are fine enough. But when you add the territory circles and the white font, plus the white highlights in the dark background, it just looks too faded. It's a zombie map!! :D

I think I know the look you're going for, and honestly I think you've done a good job in matching it. Although I just really do not get why you're only using green/red/yellow/blue. Why not try switching the red to a light brown, the yellow to an off white, and take the green and blue down in brightness (but still on the pastel side). To me those are the colors of a survey map.

http://www.spoke.ie/wp-content/uploads/osireland-dingle-bay.jpg

Also, people on here are just used to having each region be it's own separate color. So I don't know if everybody's comfortable with having each of those colors up multiple times.

I personally prefer the gameplay on ronalchn's map. But I like maps that are larger, with more complexity. I would add the islands that he has on his to yours though. Everybody loves connection lines.... Right? :D
Hoodlum wrote:
Wow actually!! I'm really liking the look with the labels/circles. I noticed right away two names I am unfamiliar with which is Whataroa and Dannevirke, I'll have to search that up as i'm interested.
aeronautic wrote:
@Hoodlum, The reasons for The Hawkes Bay change to Dannevirke were, Hawkes Bay is on maps as the bay where Hastings is, some maps show Hawke Bay and some Hawkes Bay and it is also a region name.

The region names are also a reason for some of the other name changes.

You will notice that naathim has suggested extra territories and connections. If you wish to go along with this, could you please work out the game-play analysis for pros and cons with naathim?
Could you both also review the N.I. mountains affect on game-play?

I will put your port positions on here to assist.
Hoodlum wrote:
My wife as advisor who is from the NI knows Dannevirke well. Where the circle placement is Whataroa is accurate and would be content with that. Other names in that Westland region that are well known to me is Hokitika or Haast.
aeronautic wrote:
Okay thanks Hood.

Here are the port positions you chose.
New Zealand 5 ports (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
For adding more territories.
Cons are, any more additions territory wise, would mean the forbidden zone to avoid between 45-51. So an extra 8 territories would need to be added to get to 52. Right now the map is accurate in geography - region/territory wise. I would have liked to have added Stuart Island and Great Barrier Island but I couldn't find two other places to ommit.

Pro's are, like naathim says and I tend to agree is I like the gameplay with connection lines to smaller islands.

BTW. Mackenzie label is missing