A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 10 of 13
aeronautic wrote:
As most of you know, I have extensively tested this map in all applicable formats, with the exception of Domination for which I will now only set up a 5 player test game, now that I know what the optimum players are that the map can handle.

During testing it was found that some circles and territory labels needed moving slightly (done), there were some concerns raised about the Capital positions, but no better alternatives could be found. If you have a keen interest in this map, please now do your own review of the capital positions, because we don't want another instance of reopening the map much further down the line like with Caribbean.

Testing results:
Capitals:
These tests were found to stalemate in 3p games, possibly due to the region availability and overall evenness in bonus.
This was no longer apparent in 4p+ games, where there would be more dispute over regions and more chance of blocking routes to all other Cap's. Therefore with the amount of allocated starting troops and ability/inability to gain region bonuses this map seems more suitable to 4,5 & 6p Capital games, with the possibility of 7p also (not advised).

Deathmatch:
These tests had a similar situation to Capitals in 3p, where all 3 players were evenly matched and would also eventually stalemate, however, in DM you have to conquer all of the opponents troops and territories, which catches out players on the amount they will need to do this and will normally result in their "trying" and "failing".
Again the optimum level for this is 4,5 & 6p, but because it is DM, there are few reasons why you can't extend this to 7 & 8p, but remember the higher you go in players, the less chance for cards victories and routes to kill opponents, so it would still be advisable to stay with 4-6p.

Aesthetics:
Remarks on the look of the map have all been favourable.
With statements like, e.g. "easy on the eyes", "nice colours", "not too busy", "easy to follow" etc.
There are no circle colour clashes and if anything they are contrasted well.

Game Play:
The set up on this map is exceptional (thanks to Hoodlum). The land connectivity is purposely limited and the ports are strategically placed offering alternative routes and make for some fun battles of strategy and trickery { ;) Hood! }.
In a 7p Capitals game, Fendi was quick to find a bonus that nobody dared to challenge (such a strategist), as it blocked them to a lot of Cap's if they did. This can only be utilised if your Cap' is not an adjacent one and you have spawned troops there. I won't say where it is, have fun finding it and good luck in (a) Not having and adjacent Cap'. (b) Having enough spawned troops there to conquer it.
In a 4p Capitals game, Cireon utilised an available Super Region and remained open routed to all other Cap's, again I won't say where, it will be fairer and more fun for you to find these things. However, he was able to defend with just 2 Territories & also hold a Port position.
Overall game play views from me and what I have read in the game chat is EXCELLENT!

There were no unexpected mishaps or glitches in testing, all game functions performed correctly.

If you have any concerns that were found during your games on this map, please state them here so that they can be reviewed and amended if required?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, nice description! Unfortunately I have not so much feedback to share, sorry.

I think I got an idea of Cireon's super-region, but I am not sure about the Fendi's magic region.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
I checked the game, and I was right on my thoughts of the magic region! :)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Clarke wrote:
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite maps. Love the caps when 5 or more play.
Hoodlum wrote:
love the feedback on this. The gameplay is pretty awesome and glad we went with the many regions/small bonuses rather than fewer regions and higher bonuses. Not only does it keep NZ real regions geographically real, It's a unique gameplay and you really need to keep your attention on it, or you will be caught. sneaky bonus claims can be counter attacked from the available ports, but you can't fall asleep on a turn ;)
It's also fun for 2p sametime games, and it will probably get lot's of gameplay after beta, due to it being davideckho123's favorite new map. :)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
HammerTime wrote:
Hoodlum...the more i play this jem of a map the more i like it :)iam a fan of small maps,like to fight it tight quarters on a balanced map such as this one is,i find the playabilty on this map to be awesome.

Excelent job Hoodlum!! this map has worked its way onto my fav list;)
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
aeronautic wrote:
I thought HammerTime meant NZ when he posted in the Philippines thread.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I think it's time to bring this one out of Beta and make it live.

It is already close to the 3rd most played map on the site and has had extensive testing by me ( see results: http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&act=view&id=2108&board=43&lastpost=1#post-33018 ) and has no reported problems.

This has excellent game-play thanks to Hoodlum.
Hoodlum wrote:
and has excellent graphics to make a Kiwi proud..thanks aero!
Fendi wrote:
This map is now out of Beta! Thank you Hoodlum and aeronautic!
Hoodlum wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/01/new-zealands-new-flag-final-four-designs-announced

The flag debate..

Down to 4 flags!!
Leaning toward either of the black/white ones myself, but I'd be happy with any of them..really. good stuff nz.
aeronautic wrote:
I really like the B&W Silver Fern on it's own.
Matty wrote:
Yes, it's the best IMO. Either that one or red blue (white) one.

Not that I get to vote for it, but still.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria