A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 5 of 13
PsymonStark wrote:
On the font, I'm not exactly sure, but I think that maybe a sansserif pseudofuturistic one could be what the map is asking for. I couldn't test it though but check this one.

Zyana

New page reference:
New Zealand 6 Mini Map (click to show)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Psymon I'll try this.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Sygmassacre wrote:
Just a few name change suggestions
1) Hastings to Napier - its the larger and more recognisable of the two cities

2) Franklin to Hamilton - not even sure where the Franklin reference comes from but most probably political electorate

3) S Waipara to Wellington - once again, im unsure where this came from but the capital should be the capital (im sitting in it as I write this)

Some of the names you have are cities/towns and some are provinces/regions. It all depends on which you would prefer as to which other names I can suggest
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Hoodlum wrote:
References

North Island (click to show)
South Island (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
PsymonStark wrote:
Bigger extension doesn't mean more relevance. I'd say that Wellington is what most players would expect for that territory
Hoodlum wrote:
I actually set out initially with the same Idea as Aero, to eliminate double up names from region/territories, which I did for the most part, but the ones that I left doubled up I felt were expected. Auckland (largest city NZ) & Wellington (capital of NZ) are what I tend to think are definitely expected.
The_Bishop wrote:
It's looking pretty cool!

I think a beautiful title and a beautiful compass can brilliantly fill the empty areas.

Is there a reason for the placements chosen for the ports? Because, I don't know you, but I feel like Aukland and Tauranga are a bit too close. May be changed to Whakatane maybe?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
Reason placements for ports are that ronalchn's used these ports on his version, which I used as a reference, they are real main ports of nz, but may need to be changed by the looks of it for game play.
aeronautic wrote:
I think I've addressed all concerns and suggestions?

Labels Name Changes (As suggested, changed effects (less harsh))
Font (Tried Zyana but K looked like H, Tempus was best alternative after many hours of searching and testing)
Region Colours (Left the old Mini-Map on to show old colours, tried the colours Hoodlum suggested too, couldn't get region distinction)
Ports (Changed the look and positions)
Connection Line (Added)
Title (Added)
Signatures (Added)
Key (Added)

Please look at all the changes requested by everyone and let me know if they help this map in any way?

No region bonuses added yet, because I don't know if territories will be added or merged etc.
No mini-map made, because I don't know if the colours of the main map are suitable.
Previous versions also listed below for reference:
New Zealand 1 (click to show)
New Zealand 2 (click to show)
New Zealand 3 (click to show)
New Zealand 4 (click to show)
New Zealand 5 (click to show)
New Zealand 6 (click to show)
New Zealand 6 mini map (click to show)
New Zealand 7 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:

Big approval from me. Only one thing I can be picky about is being able to read Manawatu in the mini map.
aeronautic wrote:
Larger font size in mini-map.
Increased land texture.
New Zealand 8 (click to show)
Vexer wrote:
It's definitely better with the increased color saturation though the yellow on the left seems a bit intense.

The font size is one too small for me. I'm using a QHD monitor so things are smaller in general. Monitor resolutions will keep going up. Within a few years 4k monitors will be in wide use. I understand that you want the map to look clean but it also has to be readable without squinting. The previous font was readable at that size, but boring. I like the new font but I really need it bigger.

The style of the ports is nice but they also are small.

Just out of curiosity I wonder what the screen resolution is on the monitor you are using.
naathim wrote:
Looks beautiful aero!!

Loving that mini-map, it just seems to float there! (just noticed, this is the OCD kicking in, maybe move the West Coast title down a little so it's more in the center of the region? That's the stupidest thing, so don't feel like you have to change that!)

I like the font you ended up with, especially the title.

The font and the port logos are a little hard to see, especially on the yellow territories. Maybe try to find a happy medium between the dark version 6 and the bright version 8? Or maybe make the font on the map itself bigger?

PsymonStark wrote:
Maybe make the circle behind the title a bit more opaque, so it can actually be seen? And also I agree that the font and the ports should be a bit bigger.

I'm with Vexer with both the colours in Canterbury and Nelson being too intense. The rest seem fine even if I'm not a fan of those two yellow regions which are quite close and similar in colour (aka Manawatu & Bay of Plenty).

@Naat, we'll have to put a big 2 in that part of West Coast soon. That'll fix it for your "OCD" :P

But overall, very nice work. Magic is starting to appear again.

Edit. What is that thick line between Tasman and Buller?
Matty wrote:
Oooooooooooh you make me happy now, amazing!

Not sure if version 8 is better than 7 though, the right island looks a bit dark-ish, but wow, that is looking sooo nice.
Although dark-ish, maybe pale-ish is a better wording.
(The Gisbourne thing is of course an improvement)

Also love the extra connection in the north, makes the game play much more fair.

Agree on small text and anchors.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria