A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 11 of 13
Hoodlum wrote:
@emjaydee

like this one?
I actually thought this one was going to make the final 4.

Maori stylized union jack (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Sygmassacre wrote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it!! Yeah it's so much like the Aussie flag but my grandfather fought under it in WWII. I wonder how he and the rest of the veterans who have fought under it would feel if they were still alive. The flag was designed by an Englishman but our anthem was written by an Australian. Why don't we change that? Even now two of the four are designed by someone living in Melbourne, Australia.

Its costing us NZ$25m just to have a referendum on changing it when we have children living in poverty, the price of milk is 3 times that of coke and fruit costs more than chippies, and even then the most preferred goes to a vote against the current one so could very well (and hopefully most likely) stay as it is.

I believe there are two real reasons behind the drive to change;
1) Our narcissistic and egotistical prime minister, John Key, wants a legacy from his tenure. Just google "John Key ponytail" to see how moronic this guy is.
2) Its another step towards becoming a republic. We are already so isolated from the rest of the world and I believe this will isolate us further.

Some view it as archaic to have a head of state on the other side of the world but I doubt we are mature enough as a nation to go totally independent. We've been a nation for less than 180 years and there are still so many divisions within our society
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
aeronautic wrote:
Sygmassacre
1) Our narcissistic and egotistical prime minister, John Key, wants a legacy from his tenure. Just google "John Key ponytail" to see how moronic this guy is.
What a Weirdo! "Bit of banter, no drama!!" He has a pony tail fetish for crying out loud!
Wow you guys are really stuck with one there and I agree Syg, he wants a legacy!!

Also being a Brit and knowing how many of our ancestors are in Oz & NZ, I feel very connected to the 2 countries.
It's not comparable to USA (when we had that) & Canada, those were mixed settlers from all over Europe, but NZ & Oz are all British & native of course!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
it's broke to me! never identified with it ever, no passion for it, it doesn't make me proud to look at it, it makes me go.."is that flag got 4 red stars or 6 white stars?" australia or nz?

When I see our sporting flag, black & silver fern, I'm paying attention immediately. A century of dominance in the sporting arena from our men in black, and many other sports where our small numbers made our mark on the world stage, with that black flag. I hear war cries in my head. I'm proud. No one mistakes the black flag for australia. I want that same feeling with our main flag. Instant recognition.

Yup, we bled with our aussie brothers and that will never change, my youngest kids are born here and it's my home now, but I believe aussie/ need to change their flag too, with respect to the Aboriginal culture who have been forgotten long enough. enough is enough! Change the flag! get onboard syg!!!! i don' follow nz politics, but i dunno if an unlikeable politician getting some false praise for the flag change would matter to me. it's been a debate long before he was elected.

..Richie MacCaw for prime minister
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Today a public petition gained 50'000 signatures to include this flag in the referendum, as well as the other four.

5th Option (click to show)

For me, D is still the best.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Sygmassacre wrote:
Yeah "Red Peak". It incorporates the red from a marae building, the white from our snow capped mountains, black from our sporting prowess and blue (for some reason, probably brittania). At least it has meaning behind it. Still, I think I might be all entrepreneur-like and make a range of toilet paper incorporating all 5 in the print ;)
 Σ
Sygmassacre wrote:
And our flag is safe.......until the next clown wants to waste $26 million of the taxpayers money. I'll be proud to see our flag waving above our great sportstars at the Olympics this year
 Σ
Hoodlum wrote:
ill be proud seeing the black or silver fern on their uniforms. at least I can tell they are Kiwi's. Zero care for the flag. shame

aeronautic wrote:
I have never been happy with the colour scheme of this map, I felt that the feedback was pushing it in the wrong direction and for me it ended up with a pastel look, with too little depth and a cold feeling.
I have played around with the colours and made new mountains.
Current New Zealand for reference (click to show)
Suggested Upgrade (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I like the old one better.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
Sorry but I agree with Matty. It's a look no other map has.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
And what about just using the new mountains?

Also I'd like to hear the diversity of other thoughts by other people about the colour scheme?
PsymonStark wrote:
About the mountains, the green/red tones leaking on them make them look a bit weird, in my opinion.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
naathim wrote:
Never did like the end result colors. I'm a okay with redoing the scheme. But I think the problem remains in the original plan. If you're going to redo it, start from scratch, don't try and improve a flawed design.

The primary colors on one island vs. the secondary/tertiary colors on the other is rough, and it's much more noticeable on your redone version aero. Please mix them up or try something different. However, I like the newer version, especially when compared to the faded out original.

The darker background removes a lot of the texture detail. The newer mountains look a little too much like clouds.

And if we're changing colors, what about the port anchors? That teal's a bit distracting.