A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 12 of 13
The_Bishop wrote:
It is for me one of the most beautiful maps we have and I wouldn't change it, honestly.
Although I don't dislike also the new version proposed. So let aeronautic to get satsfied of it! ;)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Some good points guys.

I like constructive feedback, as opposed to "No" or "I don't like it".
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I'm sorry, but I really like the old one as it is? Is "keep it as it is" constructive feedback?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
To be fair, the decision to change or not the style map should be taken before asking for any feedback, although I understand that probably giving an alternative would raise more interests. Personally I would be opposed to such a change in this case, but we'd have to listen everyone's opinion on this.

Also, I think that other maps would probably benefit more of a revamp that this one, but I don't want to redirect aero's efforts anywhere.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Cireon wrote:
I think the new version looks more crisp, though I don't think the old version was urgently in need of an update.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
@Matty, I don't think "keep it as it is" might be a constructive feedback! lol
@Psymon, I don't see other way to propose a graphic change other than showing an image.

Why don't you let Aeronautic to suggest an improvement for his own map??
I cannot understand that. I think he has all the rights of the World for doing that.

From my side I can say I am neutrals about colours and textures. Mountains are probably good as they are, but I think there is room enough to make them a lil bigger, so that they will result also more detailed. On one thing I agree with Naathim's post in the previous page that is I'v never been a real fan of the anchors colour.

Current New Zealand for reference (click to show)
Suggested Upgrade (click to show)
Vexer wrote:
I also was never quite happy with the colors but I got busy and was never able to say anything about it. I think Aero's new suggestion is a bit too dramatic of a change. I suggest instead to give each region a more dramatic inner glow to enhance the color. I did a quick magic wand job on the right half of the map to show you guys what I mean.

Enhanced Inner Glow (click to show)

I also think the anchor could be better.

Also, I think the new mountains are better.
Matty wrote:
I agree that the new mountains are better, but they may be a little bit less colourful.

Still not sure if the map should be changed though. Yes, it's pale, but it has its very own unique feeling to it. I kinda like it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Vexer's example to me is an excellent fix, because the colour scheme of the map stays exactly the same and was after all, originally developed that way from the feedback. The dark, rich inner glow just brings the map to life. I know that some people don't want to change the map, but I see Vexer's example as an enhancement, not change.
The mountains could have been a little better than they are in the amended example above, with hindsight, I erased too much of the shadow (dark lowlands) which is probably why they remind some of "clouds" or "marshmallow". You see, my direction on the mountains has always been that they are completely snow-capped, ranging most of the South Island & are the first thing to be seen from many miles out to sea and are the sole reason for the Maori name for NZ, so they pretty much dictate the necessity. I can however make them more suitable as well as obviously snow-capped.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
South Island NZ
A place I call Home (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
aeronautic
I have never been happy with the colour scheme of this map, I felt that the feedback was pushing it in the wrong direction and for me it ended up with a pastel look, with too little depth and a cold feeling.
I have played around with the colours and made new mountains.
Current New Zealand for reference (click to show)
Suggested Upgrade (click to show)

nz revisited (click to show)

wanting a NZ map was the reason I got into d12 cartography, but at the time of it's creation, aeronautic handled the graphic stuff while i was still learning. i agree with aero, about the direction of the colours etc. i was mainly content to just have a nz map at that time. I have revisited it since, redrawing it, and using a colour pallete that represents NZ's sporting colours by region. that kiwi's will likely recognize. i've been thinking of doing another version, of a nz map themed around the musket wars timeline. that would mostly be tribes in the north island, and the tip of the south island...
Matty wrote:
I don't know anything about NZ, but to me the previous map looks better than your suggestion.
Not sure if that's because the colours feel a bit 'random' to me, or if it's because this map has very little texture.
Hoodlum wrote:
Matty
I don't know anything about NZ, but to me the previous map looks better than your suggestion.
Not sure if that's because the colours feel a bit 'random' to me, or if it's because this map has very little texture.

The colours aren't random, but carefully selected :) as said due to sporting colours..so, it's likely the lack of texture. NZ is one of the if not the sportiest country per capita in a wide range of fields. Our country colour is Black..All Black! but our provinces are represented by their own colours just as equally patriotic, where athletes aim to earn a black kit at the highest level of international representation..(i select black for d12 lol). The culture of team sports and competition is very tribal and that is why we bat above average for our little population. Also NZ isn't a gloomy place..pastel colours don't feel that right lol.
Cireon wrote:
I have the opposite to Matty, and I prefer the new version. It feels a lot cleaner and more readable. Yes, there's less texture, but the texture that's there is more subtle and more purposeful. Using too much texture can also come across as a bit cheesy and overdone. I don't think the original NZ map is bad at all, and it's probably not at the top of the list of maps that need a rework, but overall I favour the newer version.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm kind of neutral. I like the new anchors though and the shore lines over the ocean, around the land (how to call them?).
I need to get used to the new colour scheme... Everything is more readable, and the region-like colored text is great.
The old ocean had a lot of texture, the new one very little, is there a midway option perhaps?
Southern Cross and royal house banner seem both a bit too large to me, like you want to use all the available room.
The old title was so cool (just a bit too purplish imo) the new one is good too, more sober (and a better blue colour).
Should 'Aotearoa' become part of the map name?