A new version of the New Zealand map.
  • 182 posts
  • Page 6 of 13
PsymonStark wrote:
Another small remark, the anchor on the legend seem plain when compared with the other ones.

I complain! Always new page, have to post the reference :P
New Zealand 8 (click to show)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Thank you all for your numerous feedback. Many inputs means there's a keen interest.

@Vexer
Resolution set to 1366 X 768.
I will increase the font size... I was worried about some of the longer words.
I will increase the port size.
I will tone down the yellow and green regions in S.I.

@Psymon
The thick line at Tasman is an estuary. The dark outer glow of the land and the dark outline pretty much make it all filled in with near black.
Circle behind title is a Koru pendant symbol. I intended it to look like a watermark effect, but will try it more opaque.
The area where there's 2 yellows are 2 different yellows and it was difficult to find any colour that didn't clash with the other colours around it. If it proves to be unintuitive or confusing in anyway, I will have to change the whole island colours.

@Matty
I will revert back to NZ.7 colours, with the NZ.8 corrections and try to increase texture without fading the colour vibrancy.

@naathim
I will realign all region labels after bonuses are added.
----------------------------------------------
There is now the question of territory count?
Should we add 8 territories to jump over the disallowed numbers?
Please all have a play around with the game-play and see if it would be required or if it would improve the playable game types?

If so, Hoodlum has already sent me a proposal of 8 territories to add, making it 52.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Maybe a lime color for Manawatu + light blue for Taranaki can be a fix. Or instead of light blue you can place Northland color in Taranaki and find a new one for Northland, as it just borders one region it should be easier.

I believe that we can try and add only the intended number of territories even if it's on the forbidden zone (say Stewart Island, and a couple more). Otherwise keep it like this because territories are already quite cluttered, and labels must be bigger.
aeronautic wrote:
Okay, thanks I will try this.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Very nice updates since I last looked. One concern that I have is that the port in Auckland should be moved north, in my opinion. This is because, as it stands, the two northernmost regions form a bottleneck of a +2 bonus with only one territory to guard. Moving the port northwards would solve this issue.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
There is a new connection to take care of this. Check the 8th version.
aeronautic wrote:
I have played with the colours and evened them out more in intensity, I also played with the texture and changed it to something more suitable.
The colours are no brighter or darker but more vibrant and the map now has a "soul".

I made all the alterations called for above and updated the mini-map as well as adding the bonuses chosen by Hoodlum.
New Zealand 7 (click to show)
New Zealand 9 (click to show)
Matty wrote:
The texture in combination with the somewhat pale colours give me a desert-like feeling.

Not yet decided on whether or not I like it better than 7 (or 8).

Well, I kinda do, I think.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I like 8 better than 9. The last version makes the map very bland and boring all of a sudden. Both the colours and the texture are just a lot less interesting. I do think the font in 9 is an improvement though.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Okay, I'll increase the depth of the texture and make the colours even richer and let's see what that does for it.
aeronautic wrote:
Texture increased and some different texture added. Colours filled more solidly and intensified. Graphics for NZ Theme added.
New Zealand 7 (click to show)
New Zealand 9 (click to show)
New Zealand 10 (click to show)
naathim wrote:
That looks wonderful Aero!! Really beautiful and well done!

All the extra graphics tie it together nicely.

The texture isn't quite there yet I don't think. It's that the underlying textures between the two islands are different, it makes it seem off somehow. I think you've compensated very nicely for that in version 9 though. But there's still the oddly flat regions (Otago, Manawatu, Wellington all look almost glasslike). And there are oddly blurry regions where the actual mountains are poking through (don't know if that's just the way the image host/display thing distorts it). I honestly thought the matte look to version 9 was pretty good at evening everything out.

But other than that I'd say it looks good to go.
Hoodlum wrote:
I'm pro flag change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_flag_debate
I'd be happier with our sporting flag which is just as established, represented and recognized and I personally feel more proud of.
Through it's sporting feats, but this has been a debate. NZ sporting flag is instantly recognizeable, distincts us from Australia's
flag which is too similar. It's not that I don't have anything against our current flag, it just doesn't do anything for me, and
probably most of the younger generation.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
PsymonStark wrote:
Sorry but I don't like at all the flag legend. I find it quite lame and it makes it harder to read.