Map of the World - 26 territories
  • 261 posts
  • Page 5 of 18
Fendi wrote:
For me the shadow looks the best but I agree with Matty, it looks like you overdid it.

- I'm not sure if it's only me or not but I think the lines are standing out too much, some also look a bit jagged, especially on the green and orange regions.

- Even though I agree with Cireon about wanting a simple map I'm afraid this map is too simple. The land lacks texture and variety, just look at Australia and Europe...The ocean looks kinda ok but I think it could be better.

- The colours are also ok but they too could be better..

Overall, it's a good map.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Old Shadow (for reference) (click to show)
Shadow (smaller) (click to show)
Text Shadow (click to show)

EDIT: I'm not sure why "Text Shadow" isn't working but here's the link (this update is nos 5&6):
http://www.bluemelon.com/madone/worldreducedeffects#page-0/photo-5135472

I'm not entirely sure what Fendi means by jagged lines - is it the quality of the line that's bothering her or is it that the geographical placement is too jagged?

I will try to change the texture and maybe colours next.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Fendi wrote:
The quality of the lines are what's bothering me, but the overall map looks ok with the reduced shadow.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Is the quality improved here?

Outline Only (click to show)

If so, then it's the colours layer that's to blame - I'll try to change it.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:

Cireon wrote:
I like the text shadows. The land shadows might still be a bit too much (too dark, not too big), but I like the map in general :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Thanks, both of you, I'll get started then :D
Day Actions:

PsymonStark wrote:
I find Australia hard to read :S The rest of the map looks nice.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Not to put too much on you while you are taking care of something else, I still think you could make the numbers smaller on the mini map and put a drop shadow or dark back drop on them, plus use a similar style of font as the map text (San Serif).

It is looking better every time I see it!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
This is a line-quality test:

Outline Test (click to show)

I know the colours have changed and are much brighter but they can be easily changed. I want to know whether the line quality is still good despite redrawing the colours layer.
Day Actions:

cbt711 wrote:
I think they look great. When you put in your shadow, the black border will blend into the black border - which gave it the over powering look everyone complained about. 

The less wide shadow helped some, but took a lot away from the depth you create with the shadow in the first place.

You might want to try making the shadow its own layer, keep it as wide as it was before, but change the transparency until you can clearly see the border outer edge. Just an idea.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Before I do all of the other suggestions mentioned recently, I need feedback on the best shadow out of these four:

100% Opacity (click to show)

80% Opacity (click to show)

60% Opacity (click to show)

40% Opacity (click to show)

No Shadow (for reference) (click to show)

I know it's hard to compare with this format, so here's the link to the website for easier comparison:

http://www.bluemelon.com/madone/worldreducedshadows#page-0/photo-5140033

My to-do list:
Colours feedback (needed, as colours have been changed. Fendi said colours could be better - I agree - but not sure what's needed...)
Ocean Improvement
Bonus numbers smaller and shadowed
Land Textures
Word "Australia" clarified

Anything else?
Day Actions:

PsymonStark wrote:
Anything over 60 seems excessive to me. I think 60 is ok, 40 is too weak, and maybe some 55 could be better, but as always, I'll let everyone speak :)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
I like 60%. I await your to do list anxiously. Should be a very popular map.

Keep in mind:
That changing the background ocean texture / color (when your to do list calls for working on Ocean) means that the shadow will look different. I would do 50 to 55% in agreement with Psymon, but maybe make it wider to compensate. What program are you using?