Solar System map thread. Feedback very welcome.
  • 247 posts
  • Page 15 of 17
aeronautic wrote:
I can rotate the actual shadow of course, but it will be the only satellite with a different perspective from the sun... this may stand out, but with the current situation, this may look improved.

When I said I would make Dark Side the brighter colour, I meant as well as spray a new shadow over it as well, so that it doesn't look like the same colour as Luna but in shadow, it will sort of look like a darker but different colour and give the impression of shadow too, which might alleviate the angle problem.

After all is said and done, nobody bar me seemed to be worried about the moon perspective anyway and with all the scales and distances totally inaccurate as well, the new angle has improved it somewhat and I don't think it will be a problem just making the Dark Side all dark.

Now that's compromise!!! Refresh here soon for changes.
Solar System (click to show)

So, we are going to go with Vexer's 3rd option?
We could wait for a time when there are no games active and quickly turn the map to "Inactive", make the changes and put it back to "Active", but that time might never come... unless... Would active games stop if we were to make the map "Discontinued" / "Inactive" or would they continue?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Solar System Optimised (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Vexer wrote:
If you change the map status to inactive then no new games can be created on it but existing games will go on.

I've gone ahead and deactivated the map because the two active games on it look like they should be done in a few days.

http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=449174
http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=460493

Wait until both games are over to change the map or at least until both games are to the point where the changes won't make any difference.
Matty wrote:
Small remark: it looks like the bottom connection line on earth has a slightly different colour than the top two lines.
You redid these, so maybe redo the bottom one as well (just give it the same place it had before, but now with the same colour).

Although, I actually think I like the bottom one better, so maybe redo the colour of the top two (dashed) lines.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks for that Vexer.

@Matty, I never checked the colour of this connection line, because I copied the new one from the NA - EU connection and would you believe I had to darken it slightly, because it looked brighter and the closer it got to my optical angle the brighter it became.

Looking at the lower connection now that you have pointed it out, it looks darker, even when at the top of my monitor, so I will check its colour later and change it to the same as the middle one and perhaps darken the middle one to compensate for the optical illusion.

Colour illusions (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
I tried by my self and noticed some areas is darker since when you use the same white colour, the line seems to be lighter and thicker. Sharp eye Mattryx! I'm confident Aeronautic can clearly understand and adjust it to make all lines look the same colour.

From my side I have just alerted the players on the first game that we are going to make the change, hopefully they will propose by them self to implement the change even if the game is not finished. One of the players is holding Earth region + Venus region since the change can't affect the game so much. The second game is very close to finish.

Capitals slightly modified accordingly to my proposal in the previous post for 2, 3 and 6 players. As well as 7, 8 and 9 as in my before-previous post in order to match with the new connection in place. 4 and 5 player capitals unchanged.

Waiting the "OK" to input the new connection in the system and the new image. Eventually some minor graphical adjustments can be done even after the map re-activation, better not though.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
I wasn't sure whether or not the colour would be different or just my perception. I noticed it by looking at the current and optimized map side by side in a tab.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Look at this: A and B squares are the same colour... Unbelievable!! But it's true!

[image]

I tried by my self to cover all the rest of the image and yes...

They are the same colour! (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, don't worry about the connection line colours I can adjust these after it is uploaded, but they will be done tonight anyway before these two games are finished.

Just continue to monitor the games Bishop and let me know when done and we can go in and make the changes in a few minutes.

For Capital editing speed it is best to make a list here of all territories that will have a Capital on them. This way we can easily change them systematically without cross reference required and therefore without confusion or error.
e.g.
Ares 4,6,7
Jupiter Major 2,3,8,9
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay Aero

Capital List (click to show)

I've just realized the first one is a 3p game with fixed cards, since we are not pressed, probably we have a couple of months to check the capitals and adjust the colours.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well we are not pressed, but we removed the map from the list. Are we going to remove the map for a couple of months?

Cap shortlist (click to show)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Psymon's concern is justified. We can't wait weeks to months with an inactive map, just to meet the one game, which the change to game-play will have little or no effect to the game and Cap changes will have zero effect, as it is a DM with the green player already owning Earth.
http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=449174

We should really inform them of the changes and offer to reimburse the Points & Stats if they encounter any problems as a result.

The other game with Hoodlum & cesarrr_rc http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=460493 should be finished soon anyway, as blue will be getting 33 (minimum) troops to kill 21 blacks before black can turn in. This may well happen in the next 15 hours according to the remaining time on the clock, or at the most another 63 hours providing no turns are missed.

Therefore you should place an information message in the game chat of the first game, something like; "There will be game-play changes that only affect 1 region with 1 new connection, which is already controlled by Green, this will be implemented within 63 hours. If there has been any disruption or unfairness caused then by request, the staff will reimburse the Points & Stats".
aeronautic wrote:
Solar System (click to show)
Optimised (click to show)

Lower Earth connection recoloured (it was a light grey instead of white) Other earth connections darkened to compensate for colour illusion.
Moon has new highlight and new outline.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yeah, much better! :D

No idea how many hours of work it required, but they are perfectly identical for me!!
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay, one game is over. For the other one I am waiting an answer from Pntbttr but I think he'll agree to make the changes.

@Aeronautic - I was joking, I can see a slight difference and yes, the optimized seems to be correct for my eye.