Solar System map thread. Feedback very welcome.
  • 247 posts
  • Page 13 of 17
PsymonStark wrote:
By the way, what are you going to do with the black on the belts? I'd suggest a slight reddish circle where the game circles are instead of tuning up reds in the whole belt...
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
Yeah, white haze circles, maybe red.
The mini-map will get a very distinct red haze over the entire asteroid belts so there is no confusion as to the red region and what you need for the bonus.
tramadol wrote:
I've been on this map with 6 & 4 player Caps and I like the connections, they really make you think and it offers routes that others don't always see. I think 6 Caps is about as big as this map can handle without a lot of spawn blocks to players.
Vexer wrote:
@cbt711, yes you can have tokens for your work.

I'm not sure what we are waiting on for keeva island.
cbt711 wrote:
Thanks Tram. 6 man and 4 man are a lot of fun. I played one 5 man so far, but it didn't last very long and 1 guy timed out.

In an 8 man fog long term game right now. I don't like it. Not enough territories to farm cards off the cap. If you get bad dice just one time, you're done. No more cards. That is pretty typical of 8 man caps on medium maps though. I am going to move 2 of the 8 man caps off borders, but will wait for the game to end I think. Just in case, don't want to crash it. 

@Vexer, if I have some time later tonight, I can look over Keeva and see what if anything is missing and finish it up. If that's cool with you guys.
cbt711 wrote:
Solar System is now up and available to all.

Thank you Matty, Bishop, especially Aeronautic where ever you are, and everyone for all the help and feedback. Hope you enjoy it.
Fendi wrote:
It'd be helpful if someone could post the current capitals on the map itself instead of writing them as a list so that it will be easier to review them.

And congratulations again on the map!
PsymonStark wrote:
PsymonStark wrote:
Wow, didn't notice, the 9 in Western Rings shouldn't be there :S
cbt711 wrote:
I played at least 3 games in the following formats:
2 player caps
3 player caps
4 player caps
6 player caps

I played 5 player caps once, and 8 player caps once. The caps were modified several times to keep players from having a region border or any advantage on being blocked. Most caps from 4 player and up have two territories to block.
The_Bishop wrote:
I was just searching a nice 42-territories map with a good 6 caps placement... Not so easy really! This one seems really good for having all the capitals internal and all with 2 ways-out only, so giving a special game-play.

Just... There's a clear odd-ball! Western Rings is the only Cap on a region border. Since I am asking, wouldn't be better to move it to Saturn Major, as it is in 5 Caps placement? This means to make it a bit more far from the others (5 hops rather than 4... little thing) but at least the conditions are more equal. Also Ganymede can be moved to Jupiter Major so making them closer (4 hops as all the others) and having a nice effect being the "Majors" chosen as capitals. [The same change can be applied on Jupiter for 5 Caps]

If authorized by another staff member I will care about this little change.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, Moving it to Saturn Major does seem the right thing to do as it stops just 1 Capital being on a Region border, plus it doesn't change the steps from the purple Neptune region nor from Earth, just the others.

This would make sense from a fairness and equality point of view, however having never played my own map, I do not know if there has ever been an advantage in this region and so whether or not it would matter about this Capital position?

Perhaps someone who has played this map with 6p Capitals could give their honest opinion about the equality of the Western Rings Cap and whether it would have made a difference to their game if it had been positioned in Saturn Major territory instead?

One major point I would like to make about the current Cap position, if it was moved to Saturn Major, it would not only make all the capitals away from borders, but it would also make an easier attack path from Ganymede to Neptune via the Saturn Rings and even if Ganymede is changed to Jupiter Major, this is still the case.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
The differences are only if you enter a 3 caps ending with Western Rings taking great bonuses and staying open thanks to his position... I think you need to play 100 of games to see the differences!

By the way, being authorized by the map creator staff cartographer first lieutenant aeronautic, I'm going to proceed with change. Also planning some minor adjustment on 2 and 3 player caps.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein