Solar System map thread. Feedback very welcome.
  • 247 posts
  • Page 10 of 17
cbt711 wrote:
"Titan" text layer is turned off on the master copy of the psd file.

I hope Fendi sees this.
aeronautic wrote:
Yes I see it, so sorry about that, I was redoing the edge as it was a bit rough and needed things out of the way to see. I forgot to put it back on. I hope Fendi reads this thread, as there are couple of things previous I also need her feedback for, if she deems them as important as the masses commenting here?!

p.s. @cbt711, How many avatar changes in a week? Are you looking for the one that's just right? LOL.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
cbt711 wrote:
This is number 2, and final.  Does it say CBT, does it say 711? I like to think it says both.

I tried to move Uranus, and I got so lost. How many layers are there for Uranus alone? 6? Well I linked them and moved them all, and it took shading from territory lines with it, but left the lines themselves.

I'm guess I have to:
1. Link all 5 to 7ish layer for Uranus, erase any shading for division lines if it's in there.
2. Marquee Uranus on the base Uranus color layer.
3. Go to the division line layer and division blend layers, and cut and paste Uranus' division lines as new layers.
4. Link these new layers to the already linked Uranus layers.
5. Move all of Uranus (linked layers.)
6. Erase old Uranus on back outer glow layer.
7. Unlink the Uranus layers.
8. Duplicate Base Uranus color layer, and drag duplicate down to the layer just above background outer glow layer.
9. Merge duplicate down onto background layer.

That sound about right? 
aeronautic wrote:
Much easier than that... The territory lines are the "Hand drawn" layer for the whole map you created. I just went over them and linked them to circle borders so that the texture for each territory could be added. You would have to cut & paste them and make a new layer for the Uranus lines. You would have all the layers you need as independent then.

After you move Uranus, you will then need to make a flat version of just planets and moons so that you can make a new halo (outer glow) layer.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
cbt711 wrote:
Ahhh that's why all the ringed planet dividers went with it. Zoomed in, Uranus is definitely touching Saturn above the rings now. Not sure which one of the now 21 versions changed that, but it should be an easy fix without moving any text or circles / affect the programming.
cbt711 wrote:
I got bored. New sun, fixed Uranus, rotated moon, aeronautic fixed a lot of the pixellated edges, I got a few more around Oberon and Luna. I even took the circles off the mini map, and tweaked the sig. Not a single player circle has changed, nor a border. The Rings and saturn names have been tweaked for Bishop. If any of this is already programmed, that's cool. I was just bored.

Bright Sun
Spoiler (click to show)

Darker Sun
Spoiler (click to show)

Fendi if you like these, let me know, I can update the spreadsheet with the new names.

@Matty and Bishop... Thank you for all the feedback. It is and has been greatly appreciated.
Matty wrote:
Same as last time, now I see the image from you it looks like there is a thin white fog over the entire map, this one is sharper or something.

I think the sun is a bit too not orange right now, a bit brighter can't hurt in my opinion.

When you rotated the moon (nice!), you got rid of the pixelatedness of the line in between luna and dark side, which is good as well.
However, the texture seems to be less sharp as well now.
So not just a bit less bright/white (which I really like), but the edges of the texture seem to be a bit blurred as well, I liked them sharp.
I hope you get what I mean.

Ohyeah, It looks like Ouranos' border does not match with the circle I expect for the whole Uranus planet.

And I think the S-line dividing W. Rings from E. Rings looks weird, can't you fix it with a straight-ish line that is slightly rotated?

Nice job on hiding the dashed line behind the moon, didn't even see that one on the last version :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
The border between Asia and Dark Side is a bit unclear. I assume they are bordering, but it is not very clear on first sight.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
cbt711 wrote:
I figured out the white haze thing. It's because I post these as regulation map format. 300kbyte ish jpg at max horizontal resolution. Aeronautic has been posting them as higher quality png files. The two compression modes differ, especially in color matrix memory assignment, and apparently jpg looks lighter. I would output huge file amazing png but would rather show it as requested by the map guidelines.

@Cireon, Luna was just rotated to face the sun. That was as far as I went thinking that border was still clear enough. If not we have to redraw the moon.

@matty - I have a very dark screen over the sun. When it is bright it completely overpowers the rest of the image. I can post it later today. Gotta go to work for now
aeronautic wrote:
The dark side is actually meant to border Asia but agreed, it is not as obvious anymore.
The dark side also still looks out of place with the light source, it would fair better from a crescent dark side, concave left to right.

I think it best to redo the overlay and territory divider to account for border and light source. The circle would have to be moved, but according to Matty, this is easily rectified in the programming as long as connections don't change.

Correct with the file quality, it is the different file types causing it, although my computer doesn't see much difference or white haze, it must be self correcting on Gamma and Sharpness. Plus we have to remember that the quality is mostly lost in the upload, as I have a JPG here that looks as good as the PSD file, but once I upload it, the text blurs somewhat. When the staff flatten it and change the file type from PSD to JPG, assuming they have the D12 files on a main server from their main computer or being their main computer and the file will only be [Save As], not uploaded by bit transfer. However, they will, as cbt711 pointed out, have to optimise the file for speed of download and refresh and no matter how high quality we make the files, they will always be degraded to become a useable file by all until all computer monitors and smart phones are HD.
On that note, I always feel it's best to show it almost as good as the PSD file so that everyone can see almost how nice it looked when we made it.

@cbt711 I will send a new moon layer here for download.
cbt711 wrote:
That's cool, just make sure the circles don't move - with the concave the other way, shouldn't be a problem at all. And thank you!
naathim wrote:
OMG you guys that map is awesome!!! You guys are so talented and should be proud of yourselves! Can't wait to be able to play on it.

Only thing I don't quite see as obvious is whether or not the asteroid belt is part of the martian region... Pretty sure it is. But maybe move the 4 in the mini map over a tad to make it super clear? Don't wanna nitpick at this awesomeness, so feel free to ignore me :D
Fendi wrote:
Sorry for not commenting, got busy with work.

You guys have done a great job, there are still a few tweaks left to be done here and there but the map is basically finished.
cbt711 wrote:
Thanks Fendi. Let me know if you want a sweet 3D red F avatar. :)

EDIT:
Or just resize it yourself:
Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
cbt711 you are a nice guy and it was a pleasure working with you on this map. I wish YOU all the best here at D12.