Solar System map thread. Feedback very welcome.
  • 247 posts
  • Page 8 of 17
aeronautic wrote:
There were a few final adjustments requested by Fendi, so cbt711 and I have shared them and finalised the map.
I have sent my updates to cbt711 and if he is happy with it, the map will go to Fendi for set up and Beta testing.
Solar System Final Version (Y/N) (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
What I did when I saw the white glow was putting this one and this one next to eachother and switch to and from.

I do not see the glow in this one anymore.

I liked the old minimap border better, it had the same effect, but not so overly clear.

Some of the planet borders seem a bit pixelated and thicker at some places, and thinner at others. Titan is a good example of this, but all of them have it a bit.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
The planet borders (Territory Dividers) are thinner 'looking' where the planet is highlighted, the thicker looking parts are in the darker regions.

I see what you were seeing with the "pale" look, it was the asteroid belt when it was brighter coloured and Saturn has been more textured which drops the colour slightly.

I will leave the updates to cbt711.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
urgul wrote:
I'm going to keep asking until I get an answer:
will the asteroid belt get a bonus?
aeronautic wrote:
@Urgul
cbt711
@urgal - Mars + asteroids is all red and gets +4 troop bonus as shown in last post of the map
marcoxa wrote:
ok wow. i really like how this is turning out. i never thought someone could do the solar system in a way that made a not only a good looking map but a good game play one as well. cant wait to play on this thing when its done :D
lifeinpixels wrote:
I agree with Marcoxa, this map is really looking nice. However, the asteroid belt and the sun are really distracting to me because the graphics feel like a completely different style. Any way you could match them to the style of the planets?
cbt711 wrote:
I have tried like 20 different suns. The problem with the sun... is it's just a big ball of light. You get a high contrast picture with the orange in it and it's hideous on a map. You can't shade it 3D like the planets, because there's no shade on a ball of light. The photoshop file and spread sheet have been sent to Fendi. Any changes will probably be after or during testing phases I guess now? 

The_Bishop wrote:
Yes, I think that in the new dark version the Sun should be turned as it was, just his 'real' picture, or with a minimal luminescence effect added.

As per the asteroid belt, I have not a clear opinion but really I liked better the one with the white edges.

My problem are:

Is Saturn South bordering with Uranus Minor or not??
Is Rings bordering with Ouranos or not?
Shouldn't the ring divider be moved on the left to avoid dead-end territories? (And also to appear more logical, I don't know exactly to explain why though)
Why Saturn South is not in the South? And why it is not called Southern Saturn, I'm not an English speaker but Saturn South and Saturn North sound weird to me.
Why one half of the ring is called Eastern Rings and the other only Rings?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
cbt711 wrote:
Saturn South is not bordering Uranus Minor.
I made a version with the ring split differently, go back a page. No one ever commented, but that option is on the photoshop file and can be implemented if Fendi wants. I think it screwed up the Capitals game though but I never play Capitals. Aeronautic handled that.

Southern and Northern are longer words than North and South, Western Rings wouldn't fit. Saturn Major and Saturn Minor could be used instead if it's that big of a deal.

Bishop, you told me to make the border black on the asteroid belt when it was white. :-P Now you like it white the best? You're killing me.
Matty wrote:
I now realise that I didn't comment on it, so I'll do it now:

The second one is not an option at all, because it looks ugly.
Instead you could move the vertical border at the center to the right or left, and keep it vertical.

However, I personally like the first option best, and think it's clear enough.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
cbt711 wrote:
I agree I like it as is. The only confusing border there is if Saturn South touches Eastern Rings. It doesn't even matter because Eastern Rings swings around to border Saturn South anyway, so it's obvious either way.

Eventually something will have to be done between Saturn South and Uranus Minor so there is no doubt they do not touch. Eastern rings can be thicker on the back end, or glow can be painted between them in all of the blackness, but we'll see how it plays for now.
aeronautic wrote:
If it turns out to be a confusing border, you could simply move Uranus away from Saturn a pixel or two. The rest of the borders will still be touching ok.
It would be 10 minutes work to make a back-glow (Halo) layer again.
Could someone please recheck the amendments to the Capital positions?