Solar System map thread. Feedback very welcome.
  • 247 posts
  • Page 5 of 17
BrewDog wrote:
Invite me for a beta. That asteroid belt made me hungry. It reminds me of Nerds. I like this map.
cbt711 wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

How did I do aeronautic?

I can't seem to get interior lines as smooth as the layer stroking. Any ideas? Apologies to the fans of all the different color regions, can't do that anymore with this technique, not without an incredible amount of tedious tracing. Honestly, it's so busy as it is, I think it might look better like this without the color change.
cbt711 wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)

Slightly darker version, kept the sun bright though (also added a circle for Uranus Minor). Again with help from Aeronautic.
aeronautic wrote:
Looks very good.
I know you will eventually be taking the glow off the planet overlaps and that will look even better.
It looks to me like you might have to move the Moon (Luna) away from Earth slightly as it is confusing as to whether Europe is touching it (unless intended).
There are also a couple of planets that have an 'Inner Shadow', this makes the planet look like a raised disc, if I were you I'd switch that style off and just airbrush a bit of Black at 20% opacity in a crescent on the opposite side of planet to the sun, this will make it look spherical.
I like the realistic planet textures, they give it a real space feel.
I also know that the mini map will be a real miniature of the whole thing when you are happy with it.
At this Hue the troop numbers and player circle colours will stand out more.
If you want to test the coloured circles for contrast, I'm sure Vexer has them linked in the Map forum somewhere?!

You can see that many hours have gone into this!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I see what you mean about the "interior lines".
I have the same trouble with them when I create with a Marquee.
What I normally do is Airbrush the fill colour in rather than use a Paint Bucket and then select all 3 in turn: [Layers], [Matting]
1) Remove White Matte
2) Remove Black Matte
3) Defringe (1 pixel)
It should then be anti-alias rather than precise (sharp to edge of pixels).
If still a bit precise, use the Magic Wand outside the object, use the Eraser tool on full opacity and run it around the edge of the object, this should anti-alias it. If you leave the Stroke border selected whilst doing it, you'll see it change to suit.
There is probably a much simpler and quicker way in Photoshop, but I am not trained on it.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
urgul wrote:
Looking good!
Lol there's a random 't' in Venus Major, though ;)
Should the asteroid belt get more territories and get a bonus?

One more thing: North Saturn is blaringly green. I mean like, really green.

Keep it up,
urgullll
aeronautic wrote:
Yes I agree about North Saturn's colour choice, it was my fault I chose a turquoise, as it was thrown in for fill purpose and territory distinction only. It wasn't intended to stay like that.
The way it is set up now, that it changeable in seconds.
urgul wrote:
Oh yea and is there a way to tell what borders what? For instance, does Zeus border Rover territory? I don't get it; there's no connection lines or anything....

Keep it up,
urgullll
aeronautic wrote:
I have no part in the design or setup, nor the gameplay, I only helped a little with Graphics.
I'm sure the Territory Dividers will be put back on when cbt711 is happy with the graphic setup.
As far as I know, from previous versions, if it touches it, it is connected to it.
Matty wrote:
Im very much not sure of the no-territory-destinction-in-colours, especially because you do have them on earth and on the moon, but I guess I'll wait till I see the territory outline.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
cbt711 wrote:
Basically game play will be like this one - note Titan borders have increased, ring border moved, and some work will be done on Jupiter with Red Storm and Ganymede.
Spoiler (click to show)

Aeronautic you completely lost me on how you make those lines. I was just using the pen tool, and going way too fast honestly - then I was going to paths, and stroking path - this does not look very good at 1 pixel, and looks great at 2 pixels but then is the same thickness as the planet outlines.

I have to check on how Jupiter got an inner shadow, I don't remember even checking that. 

Craziest aspect of this whole thing: Done with a laptop touch pad... I can't find my mouse after my last business trip. I think I left it in Seattle.

@Matty
I'm sure I'll get bored and figure out how to change the colors a bit, I just have no idea how to do it. When the outer border was a path, I could select each territory, and manipulate them individually. Now the divider lines will be open ended and I have no clue how to pick out each territory. (the outer border is a layer effect, not a real path, so if I select a region, it "leaks" out of the planet's border and just selects everything.)
cbt711 wrote:
Nerd Alert!
Just for the geeks out there, I am most proud of the territory name "Cronus" - as it is the Greek equivalent to Saturn, and is located in the bowels of the planet, just like Cronus was imprisoned in the underworld.

Also looking at that, I see I left off a player circle on Uranus Minor. 
Matty wrote:
cbt711 - Feb 5, 02:13 PM
Craziest aspect of this whole thing: Done with a laptop touch pad...
o_O
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
aeronautic wrote:
Cbt711 send me the file again and I'll make enclosed territories for you to fill and texture. please include accurate overlay of territory dividing lines no matter if they are rough or pixelated.
That inner shadow effect is on a few planets, but I'll sort that out when I see them.