What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 23 of 26
aeronautic wrote:
A few things to note:
I would advise that the Rank addition should be in the essence of the rank-structure of D12 and should be points based and purchasable with tokens, i.e. earned and permanently obtainable with retention of the points required.

The Dominator Rank is a tournament rank (purely honourary) and is not obtainable by any other means, than winning the D12 contest.

I don't believe that any other ranks should be honourary or bestowed in any way.

I also mentioned that "General of the Army" wording suggests that the Military Units in Risk are "Army" units, whereas, they have to be assumed as those necessary for the various tasks required for the various war maps, i.e. Air-Force, Army, Navy, Guerilla, Paramilitary, Privateer, Revolutionary, Montoneras, Militia, Partisan, Freedom Fighters, Insurgent, Mercenary etc. Where they would have a rank system, but wouldn't necessarily be Army units.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Since this post: https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/980/premium-ranks/post/59936#post-59936 - I've been kinda intrigued by this discussion; continuing again after a break for half a year on this topic...

I agree that D12 should only have 1 honourary rank; the Dominator as it always has been (for as far as I know).

As for other stuff, this seems really good to me:

dough_boy
Honestly, I didn't even know different colors were a thing. So I would be fine with where they are at. I think that Dominator should have a different insignia (that stands out), and the 3 stars can be returned and added on as the ultimate purchase rank. I would guess 6,000.

=> e.g.
full gold bar, or crossed batons on Dominator rank, as a stand out insignia. So for it to be more 'different' than 'outdoing' (with the 3 stars now, it looks like outperforming the other ranks)
name for the ultimate rank: Field Marshall (or Supreme Commander) - purchased at the earlier mentioned rating for...... 1500-2500 tokens? (with 3 stars)

I'm indifferent to whether there can be only 1 toprank holder - I'm fine with either (and can see merit in both).

Mostly thrilled for seeing the birth of a new rank here on D12! =)
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
dough_boy wrote:
+1.

I think I mentioned a solid gold bar for Dominator. Then use the stars for something else.
vikingo1337 wrote:
I think we already covered this topic.

The two crossed batons should be for the new Field Marshall rank in my opinion. That is historically correct.

A goldbar with the logo as its insignia would make more sense for the Dominator. It relates directly to the site.

The three stars can then be converted into a Three-star General or General of the Army rank.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
aeronautic wrote:
So far we seem to be finding common ground on a Solid Gold Bar (with D12 logo) for Dominator.
3 Stars could be used for the Top Rank with the possibility of an Extra Rank with Cross Swords / Cross Batons.
This pretty much settles the Dominator Rank, but leaves the earned Ranks still floating and needing more discussion, especially about whether to incorporate a 3 Star General in the current Rank Points system or to make it a new "Higher Points" rank and / or to add another new rank of Field Marshall / Supreme Commander, but definitely not "General of the Army", as I took the time and effort to explain indepth above.
If we made a new Higher Rank, it would require a qualifying amount of points, how could we allocate only 1 position to 1 player, surely anyone who qualifies can obtain it, otherwise we'd have to bump someone overqualified down to General?

Here are the decisions & choices still to be decided on.

Dominator = Solid Gold Bar (with D12 logo) .... a D12 tournament rank.

Field Marshall / Supreme Commander = Cross Swords / Batons ?
3 Stars = General ?
How many points for a new higher rank?

If we use 3 Stars for General, we must alter the current images to show 1, 1+bar, 2 & 3 Stars for the 4 current General Ranks, with no change of points system.
If we choose to add another Rank, higher than 3 Star General / General, we must make a new image and alter the points system.

What we need now is for many people to vote and state for one of each of the above questions.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
dough_boy wrote:
1. For or against using a Solid Gold Bar as the D12 rank (for dominator)?
2. For or against using 3 stars for General (keeping other ranks and points the same)?
3. For or against using the 3 stars for "General of the Army" (adding a new level with points at say 6,000)?
4. For or against creating a "Field Marshall/Supreme Commander" (maybe crossed batons) that goes to the highest-rated player above 6,500?

----------------------

1. For
2. Against
3. For
4. For

Hopefully, I have captured what the questions are accurately. We could make this a Google Survey to capture.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Unique. Cannot be purchased:

1. Dominator: Winner of monthly D12 game. Icon: Gold bar with D12 logo.

Unique. Can be purchased and owned by one active player at a time:

2. Field Marshall: Rating of 7000 and 3000 tokens. Icon: Two crossed batons.

Not unique. Can be purchased by all players:

3. Three-star General: Rating of 6000 and 2000 tokens. Icon: Three stars.
4. General: Rating of 5400 and 1500 tokens. Icon: Current.
5. Lieutenant General: Rating of 5000 and 1500 tokens. Icon: Current.
6. Major General: Rating of 4700 and 1500 tokens. Icon: Current.
7. Brigadier General: Rating of 4400 and 1500 tokens. Icon: Current.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Matty wrote:
dough_boy
1. For or against using a Solid Gold Bar as the D12 rank (for dominator)?
2. For or against using 3 stars for General (keeping other ranks and points the same)?
3. For or against using the 3 stars for "General of the Army" (adding a new level with points at say 6,000)?
4. For or against creating a "Field Marshall/Supreme Commander" (maybe crossed batons) that goes to the highest-rated player above 6,500?

1. Depends a lot on how it actually looks. Only if it's pretty.
2. Against
3. Assuming the dominator rank is pretty, for.
4. For. I'd prefer it to cost 0 tokens though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
I agree with Matty's answers.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
dough_boy wrote:
So that is three identicals. I didn’t mention, but I think the field Marshall should only go to the highest rated person above a certain level and be free (and auto). They should also have to maintain it, so x games/month, etc.
elysium5 wrote:
dough_boy
So that is three identicals. I didn’t mention, but I think the field Marshall should only go to the highest rated person above a certain level and be free (and auto). They should also have to maintain it, so x games/month, etc.
Also agreed.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
maafi wrote:
Yep, I agree with Matty and others.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
dough_boy wrote:
I am not a creative person but I would think something like this, or a "washed out" version of the logo like a stamp might work for the dominator.

[image]

Here is an example of the "batons" for FM. I don't know if anyone could do it justice with how few pixels there are...but there are better creatives here.

[image]
aeronautic wrote:
If indeed you all decide to have two new ranks with whatever points system you also decide, I still don't think we should ever use or keep referring to the Higher than General rank as General of the Army. I have explained why above and will put it in a spoiler below for easy access.

My suggestion on this would be Higher than General (3 stars) = Field Marshall
New (highest) Rank obtainable by the top player = Supreme Commander

NOT General of the Army (click to show)

BTW I or a graphics guy will be doing the graphics for the insignia and making the sprite for the programmers, so it will only be of the highest quality and inkeeping with the standard & dimensions for all other ranks.
Remembering that the ranks are laid out to be viewed from the Side View (See NCO Ranks) and then rotated 90 degrees for fitment under the Avatars and in the Game Player Lists.
dough_boy wrote:
I threw it together based off of your sprite. So it is the standard/dimensions. It is easier for some to react to and I caveated TWICE that I am not a graphics person and we have some who would do the official job. We have now been talking about this for 3+ years after I first suggested a new Dominator insignia. Further, the last post before that talked about a Field Marshall rank that was never rolled out but was creatively done (and was BELOW the General rank).

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with what you want to call them and frankly I don't care what they are called.

1. We have 4 people who are for a unique Dominator insignia (some form of solid gold bar?)
2. We have 4 people who are for a new 3 star rank (requiring rating and purchasing)
3. We have 4 people who are for a new "only 1" rank (requiring auto-assignment above a certain level with maintenance minimums)

We have no one who disagrees with any of this.